Why does people think that 3-4 reps is too much for Fire Emblem?

#41Astro1446Posted 3/15/2013 5:21:16 PM
Roy was a clone of Marth, but he was able to somewhat set himself apart from Marth because of his PH1I3E from the Sword of Seals, which was something Leaf didn't have.

Leif had the light sword in FE5 though, which let him use light magic in the same way Roy used fire. Also, in FE4, Leif used almost every weapon and magic type in the game. He's definitely more unique than Roy.

Also, saying Seth is as important to Sacred Stones as Eirika and Ephraim is silly.
---
Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit.
http://i55.tinypic.com/jtweaa.jpg - Credit to heero_fred.
#42LegendofLegaiaPosted 3/15/2013 5:26:35 PM
Astro1446 posted...
Leif had the light sword in FE5 though, which let him use light magic in the same way Roy used fire.

Then perhaps Sakurai just thought it would be easier to incorporate fire into the Marth clone moveset than light.

I don't know Sakurai's exact reasoning, but he mentioned Roy's fire in that Famitsu magazine.

Also, in FE4, Leif used almost every weapon and magic type in the game. He's definitely more unique than Roy.

I imagine that Leaf would stick with his sword, as the whole point of adding a 2nd FE character was for easy clone material.
---
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it." - Kreia
#43Faceman_Posted 3/15/2013 5:26:35 PM
Needs a 64 character roster. Dozens of characters per series I say. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Waluigi, Daisy, Bowser Jr. and Rosalina plz.
#44LegendofLegaiaPosted 3/15/2013 5:27:57 PM
Also, going back to the original argument, if Sakurai only cared about advertising new FE games, then either Leaf or Roy would have been in the original Melee roster, not Marth.

Roy only came after Sakurai decided to include clones to make the roster bigger.
---
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it." - Kreia
#45SpunkySixPosted 3/15/2013 5:32:05 PM
Zelda games don't change main protagonists almost every single game. Every Link is basically just Link. FE changes protagonists all the time, and Marth and Ike are already enough to cover that. I don't see anybody begging for five more Pokemon trainers just because they're the main protagonists, amd I doubt that it would even be considered.

Since we already have two main protagonists, why not an antagonist, or at least a main protagonist that isn't the central Lord? I'm still not seeing why being a Lord all of a sudden means anything other than a title that comes with a superficial sense of inflated importance compared to other characters. As was said, Seth was just as important as both Lords in SS, he has about as many lines and appearances as any of them, he does as much for the plot, he's playable just as often, he presents possible unique gameplay mechanics since he's mounted... heck, he's even one of the very few characters who can't die- he's that vital. And depending on which route you pick half way through the game, he may very well end up being more prominent than either lord in line number and appearances. How has something like that not been heavily considered? As I said, SS can't be the only FE game with something like that. Is it? Because I'll be shocked if it is.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#46Astro1446Posted 3/15/2013 5:33:42 PM
Astro1446 posted...
Leif had the light sword in FE5 though, which let him use light magic in the same way Roy used fire.

Then perhaps Sakurai just thought it would be easier to incorporate fire into the Marth clone moveset than light.

I don't know Sakurai's exact reasoning, but he mentioned Roy's fire in that Famitsu magazine.

Also, in FE4, Leif used almost every weapon and magic type in the game. He's definitely more unique than Roy.

I imagine that Leaf would stick with his sword, as the whole point of adding a 2nd FE character was for easy clone material.

I would guess that Sakurai just thought fire was a cool ability. Considering Roy's reception, he was probably right in thinking that.

You're definitely right that Leif would have probably been stuck with just a sword. I'm just used to bringing that up when people say they want a unique FE rep, because people still don't want him. Honestly, I don't think people want a unique FE rep so much as they want a female FE rep.
---
Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit.
#47SpunkySixPosted 3/15/2013 5:34:33 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
Also, going back to the original argument, if Sakurai only cared about advertising new FE games, then either Leaf or Roy would have been in the original Melee roster, not Marth.

Roy only came after Sakurai decided to include clones to make the roster bigger.

Marth is FE's Red, it's different. Roy was dropped as soon as his generation passed. Being included as a clone hardly impresses me as a motivation. So he needed advertisement that also wasn't exactly the same as Marth, big deal. He still went with the newest thing that fit his needs, and lo and behold, it was still a Lord.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#48Astro1446Posted 3/15/2013 5:44:27 PM
I could describe the plot of Sacred Stones without even mentioning Seth. (In fact, Seth isn't even mentioned on the Wikipedia page.) After chapter 4 I'm not even required to bring Seth into battle. The same does not apply to Eirika and Ephraim. Seth is just not as important to his game as Ephraim and Eirika are.
---
#49LegendofLegaiaPosted 3/15/2013 5:57:40 PM(edited)
SpunkySix posted...
Zelda games don't change main protagonists almost every single game. Every Link is basically just Link. FE changes protagonists all the time, and Marth and Ike are already enough to cover that. I don't see anybody begging for five more Pokemon trainers just because they're the main protagonists, amd I doubt that it would even be considered.

But the Zelda series has also had its share of recurring villains, with Ganon/Ganondorf being the main one. Going by the same logic you're going by, putting him in Smash Bros. instead of Link should be fine because you seem to be putting main antagonists on the same level as main protagonists. Either way, I don't see how whether or not the protagonists change is relevant when the antagonists do as well.

Also, the Pokemon example is terrible as the Pokemon are the big mascots of their series, unlike Fire Emblem games where it's clearly the Lords who serve as the mascots, not generic enemy archer #14653.

Since we already have two main protagonists, why not an antagonist, or at least a main protagonist that isn't the central Lord? I'm still not seeing why being a Lord all of a sudden means anything other than a title that comes with a superficial sense of inflated importance compared to other characters.

Because the ones with the "title that comes with a superificial sense of inflated importance compared to other characters" are generally the main protagonists of their games and the posterboys for their specific games.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Fire_Emblem_The_Sacred_Stones.JPG

^
l
Please point out where Seth is.

Marth is FE's Red, it's different.

Now you're just making random excuses.

Ninten wasn't included in SSB64, despite being Mother/EarthBound's "Red", yet they chose to include Ness over him. Sakurai could have easily gone with including a recent Lord over Marth, yet Marth was in the original Melee roster (meaning he was originally chosen over both Leaf and Roy).

Roy was dropped as soon as his generation passed. Being included as a clone hardly impresses me as a motivation. So he needed advertisement that also wasn't exactly the same as Marth, big deal. He still went with the newest thing that fit his needs, and lo and behold, it was still a Lord.

Whether or not it "impresses you" doesn't mean that it wasn't the actual reason why he was included in the first place.

You have not given any proof that Roy was put in for the sole purpose of advertising his game and I've already given my own proof that he was considered for other reasons (specifically, being deemed as a better Marth clone than Leaf).
---
#50Davidk92Posted 3/15/2013 5:56:49 PM
Probably because it is.

/topic
---
"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can't do."
~Walter Bagehot