Why does people think that 3-4 reps is too much for Fire Emblem?

#61SpunkySixPosted 3/15/2013 6:42:47 PM
SmallerRidley posted...
Then stay out. 3 out of my past 4 topics have been non roster related as a conscious effort to be more flexible. Either deal with the roster topics or leave, (which, it may surprise you to find that I hope you don't) but your snide comments about them does nothing to help the situation.

Why did you feel the need to reply? Ignore the post, since it has nothing to do with your inane argument about semantics loosely based on patterns based on 3 points of observations. It's so very important that you complain about why other people with no pull on the finished product consider Leaf a worthwhile choice.

Besdes, how many of those 3 topics have an active conversation in them? My point is that nobody can even be ****ed to reply to other topics.

In a market economy, something with low demand fails because people don't want it. Why should people make random topics about things that aren't priorities for them, ESPECIALLY since you yourself refuse to do the same and make roster topics?

Again, it isn't about the topics. It's about the lack of support. Are you done?

I got about as much support as any other topic I make gets. Are you done?
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#62SmallerRidleyPosted 3/15/2013 6:44:11 PM

I'm not arguing with you, so I've been done. Clearly you aren't.

Where are your topics you're talking about? They aren't anywhere near the first page.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#63Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 3/15/2013 6:50:45 PM
Personally, the most likely FE character is Roy, with Chrom in second place.
#64SpunkySixPosted 3/15/2013 6:50:51 PM
LegendofLegaia posted...
SpunkySix posted...
Legaia, you're right. I can't prove it was just for advertisement. You haven't even begun to explain why somebody on Seth or Lyon's level should not be heavily considered in light of my last post though, and I'm genuinely curious to see what you think about it. So... please respond?

LegendofLegaia posted...
Also, the Pokemon example is terrible as the Pokemon are the big mascots of their series, unlike Fire Emblem games where it's clearly the Lords who serve as the mascots, not generic enemy archer #14653.

Because the ones with the "title that comes with a superificial sense of inflated importance compared to other characters" are generally the main protagonists of their games and the posterboys for their specific games.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Fire_Emblem_The_Sacred_Stones.JPG

^
l
Please point out where Seth is.

Adding onto these posts, I point directly at most of Awakening's DLC chapters (where Lords serve as both your main allies and enemies, along with them generally being prizes for winning the chapters).

While non-Lords are also found in the DLC chapters, they're only the main focus of the free spotpass battles (and Lords can be fought through spotpass as well).

Why did you use advertisement and prominence as a poster boy to argue why advertisement isn't the reason for selecting Lords?

As I already said, Depending on certain choices, Seth is more prominent than either SS Lord in said game and he is the only one of the three main characters to be playable in both paths. Nothing about that makes it clear to me that Seth was any less of a "mascot" as you put it, than Eireka or Ephraim, until you take advertisement and the empty Lord title in to account. Pokemon are just as prominent in Pokemon games as support units in FE. How are Lords suddenly the poster boys and Trainers aren't... other than advertising, and not being called Lords?

Not every game has had DLC, by the way. In fact, that's a recent thing and does not explain past choices that predate DLC.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#65SpunkySixPosted 3/15/2013 6:54:25 PM
SmallerRidley posted...

I'm not arguing with you, so I've been done. Clearly you aren't.

Where are your topics you're talking about? They aren't anywhere near the first page.

For somebody who hasn't been arguing and is done, you sure did respond to everything I said point for point and then directly provoke a response.

I made a Pikmin AT topic, a Wario Land stage topic and an Epic Yarn stage topic. I haven't made that many topics lately, (yet another attempt to listen to criticism, this time relating to too many joke topics) so they aren't near the front anymore.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#66SmallerRidleyPosted 3/15/2013 6:56:29 PM
For somebody who hasn't been arguing and is done, you sure did respond to everything I said point for point and then directly provoke a response.

I didn't argue with everything point for point. I responded generally. I'll admit to provoking a response, but I did suggest ignoring my posts, since they had been, up until then, for someone else.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#67SpunkySixPosted 3/15/2013 6:58:05 PM
SmallerRidley posted...

I didn't argue with everything point for point. I responded generally. I'll admit to provoking a response, but I did suggest ignoring my posts, since they had been, up until then, for someone else.

Alright, fair enough. For the sake of this topic, this will be the last post I respond to from you.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#68LegendofLegaiaPosted 3/16/2013 9:21:18 AM(edited)
SpunkySix posted...
Why did you use advertisement and prominence as a poster boy to argue why advertisement isn't the reason for selecting Lords?

Because I'm not?

I'm using it to argue why Lords are seen as generally more significant than non-Lords. Lords are very clearly the faces of the FE games. Why else have them be the focus of almost all of the boxart? Why else have them always be characters who can't die without getting a game over?

More often than not, they're more important to their games than any of the other units. That's not really something you can argue.

As I already said, Depending on certain choices, Seth is more prominent than either SS Lord in said game and he is the only one of the three main characters to be playable in both paths. Nothing about that makes it clear to me that Seth was any less of a "mascot" as you put it, than Eireka or Ephraim, until you take advertisement and the empty Lord title in to account.

Mind explaining what those certain choices are? If Seth is anything like Titania or Frederick, then I have a feeling that you're just trying way too hard to force a non-Lord as a possible choice.

Why should FE's advertisement not be taken into account? If Nintendo generally prefers to show off Lords more than non-Lords, then doesn't that say something for which type of characters they hold as more important?

Also, stop saying that the title is "empty". Lords are pretty much always the main characters of the FE games.

Pokemon are just as prominent in Pokemon games as support units in FE. How are Lords suddenly the poster boys and Trainers aren't... other than advertising, and not being called Lords?

What are you talking about? Pretty much support unit in FE games only appear in one or two games like the Lords do.

Some Pokemon can be caught generations after they first appeared, while PTs are only playable in one game. Also, Pokemon have received tons of spinoffs where they're the main characters.

Try giving me an example of a non-Lord that's on the same level as a Pokemon like Pikachu (at least by Fire Emblem standards, anyway). I'd like a good laugh.

Not every game has had DLC, by the way. In fact, that's a recent thing and does not explain past choices that predate DLC.

Not seeing how this changes anything. There's a clear preference of Lords over non-Lords in the DLC. You're really not getting past that.
---
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it." - Kreia
#69SpunkySixPosted 3/16/2013 10:35:13 AM
-If you pick Ephraim's path over Eireka's half way through the game, then Seth follows Ephraim and because of the story structure, he ends up with more lines and appearances than either Lord. If you pick Eireka, then he only gets more than Ephraim and is about equal to Eireka.

-The only reason you Game Over if Eireka or Ephraim die, (instead of just letting them be injured) is because the game arbitrarily decides that their lives are more important than the support units because they are royalty. Without that, getting a Game Over would be next to impossible and you could get stuck in an unwinnable position early on. It's a necessary gameplay mechanic and nothing more. There have been plenty of tines I could have beaten, say, the final boss had it allowed me to continue after Eireka or Ephrain died.

-Lord is an empty title because despite being the designated main characters of the game, as I have shown, there are other playable characters who are just as, (or regardless of who you pick in Ephraim's case, more) prominent, so the title Lord doesn't really mean much.

-DLC is a point for the Lords. What about the main game though? Are you telling me that Luigi is suddenly the most important character in New Super Mario Bros U? And Joker is the most important character in Asylum, while Nightwing is more important than Batman in City?

-Advertisement should matter to Nintendo for profits. Simply being a strong presence in the game should be enough for that. If being on the box art meant anything, then Bowser Jr. would be the third most important character in PM:SS- he isn't. If Seth got a trophy after winning Classic with him and it talked about how he was from Sacred Stones though, then that's major advertisement, being on the box art or having a title or not. Notice that Lyon isn't on the box art either, and he is plenty prominent, enough so to be one of the most memorable roles in the game.

Besides, you argued that wasn't the reason, and so far you haven't shown me how it isn't other than "Sakurai picked the Lord that could give him the most advertisement while not being a total clone because he's too uncreative to differentiate another Lord".
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#70Ari917Posted 3/16/2013 11:02:27 AM
SpunkySix posted...
-If you pick Ephraim's path over Eireka's half way through the game, then Seth follows Ephraim and because of the story structure, he ends up with more lines and appearances than either Lord. If you pick Eireka, then he only gets more than Ephraim and is about equal to Eireka.

-The only reason you Game Over if Eireka or Ephraim die, (instead of just letting them be injured) is because the game arbitrarily decides that their lives are more important than the support units because they are royalty. Without that, getting a Game Over would be next to impossible and you could get stuck in an unwinnable position early on. It's a necessary gameplay mechanic and nothing more. There have been plenty of tines I could have beaten, say, the final boss had it allowed me to continue after Eireka or Ephrain died.

-Lord is an empty title because despite being the designated main characters of the game, as I have shown, there are other playable characters who are just as, (or regardless of who you pick in Ephraim's case, more) prominent, so the title Lord doesn't really mean much.

-So? Seth has some more screentime, big whoop. He's still not the main focus of the story, he's still not considered as important as the lords in advertising and he still doesn't have any of the nice treats that come with being a main character. Most of his importance comes from his relation to the lords, without them he's nothing.

-No, it's because you literally can't continue the story with them dead. If any of them die then there goes your connection to the main villains and the whole "we must save our homeland!" bit.

-Bull. Crap. There are very few playable characters that come anywhere near as close to the lords in their respective games in terms of importance. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Elincia, Julia, Caeda, and to a lesser extent Lilina and Nanna and with the exception of Elincia (who falls behind in RD and only gets a small segment dedicated to her) most of their plot relevance comes from being the friends/lovers/siblings of the main lords of their respective games so even then they still have second billing. The plot revolves around the lords, you need them to continue it, without them the story has nothing and because of that that's why characters like Joshua, Seth, Lute, Nino, Oswin, and the like can die/retreat and not have anything be lost storywise.