This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you care for story in fighting games?

#1LordYggdrasilXXPosted 3/16/2013 12:22:49 PM
It is a bit of an iffy subject, the competitive people usually don't care, while the not-so competitive people like stuff like story and fighting against computers and character customization and such. Would you be fine if this game had no story at all?
#2Kooky_von_KoopaPosted 3/16/2013 12:26:35 PM
It depends on the game, in Street Fighter IDGAF about story, I am just curious on the endings of each characters, nothing else.

However, games like Injustice: Gods Among US are games I am 102% interested in their Story Mode. I think I care more about it than the whole gameplay, specially after reading the huge tragedy Superman of the Injustice Comics, and how he will overcome that almost unhealthy pain because he killed Lois Lane and his son thinking it was Doomsday, due to Scarecrow's fear toxin. Games like this have iNTERESTING and amazing stories.

As for Smash bros., It depends.
#3sumostickfigurePosted 3/16/2013 12:28:23 PM
For a mascot fighter like Smash Bros, I don't really care. For fighters with their own original cast of characters, I would care about story to the extent that it gives the cast a bit more personality (and by story, I mean things like intros and outros for arcade mode).
---
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.
http://i.imgur.com/Vgmi3.gif
#4ViewtifulGenePosted 3/16/2013 12:33:18 PM
For me it's not about how detailed the story is but how it fits into the gameplay. If the story can be incorporated into gameplay, great. If at any point I become conscious of the length of a cutscene or text box, that cut scene or text box can **** off.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#5RevOn_DXPosted 3/16/2013 12:38:46 PM
I care if the story is about fighters on a bus heading towards a stadium. She's there, he's there while a special guest is watching from afar.
---
Dead or Alive: Dimensions! Prepare for Busts, Ninjas, and Busty Ninjas
Samus WILL be in Dead or Alive 5 for Wii-U! Bank on it!
#6CrystalKing5426Posted 3/16/2013 12:44:50 PM(edited)
I don't think it matters at all. Most of the time it boils down to an evil guy running a fighting tournament. A lot of the time the plot's urgency is undermined by common sense. For example, why not just unload a machine gun on Shao Khan? If he can be hurt by slightly above average strength punches and kicks, there's no reason why a bullet wouldn't tear him apart.
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
Official Groudon of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#7SmallerRidleyPosted 3/16/2013 12:53:50 PM
Not really, but I enjoy story modes.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#8SwagStarPosted 3/16/2013 12:59:04 PM
No i don't think fighting games really need a story as long as the game provides back round information on all the fighters. Though for Smash bros brawl i thought Subspace had a good story, even though the levels felt a little awkward at times
#9SpunkySixPosted 3/16/2013 1:01:09 PM
Yes I do, as long as it's not somehow stopping gameplay flow.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#10Austin_4ePosted 3/16/2013 1:17:32 PM
No because all the story ever amounts to is "Oh hey, you happened to walk by me. GUESS WE'LL FIGHT TO THE DEATH!!!"

The only things that really matter usually are the endings, and even then they're really not worth it
---
My SSB4 Dream Roster: http://i.imgur.com/l80T0qI.png
[[ PSN: Austin_4e ]]