Should Nintendo bother with online gameplay?

#1marioman87Posted 3/16/2013 5:56:32 PM
If they could get it to work smoothly, it would be awesome, but given the cluster**** that was Brawl's online gameplay, I'm not sure Nintendo knows how to go about designing a stable system. I acknowledge that Mario Kart Wii's online multiplayer worked pretty damn well, so maybe they've learned from their past mistakes. But still...

Would you rather have Wi-Fi, or have that development time spent on other aspects of the game?
---
Dear spambots: here's my email, give me spam! spamitupyeah@gmail.com
#2omegaslash14Posted 3/16/2013 6:05:21 PM
Its gonna come out past 2013, it damn well better have online, I aint dropping $60 for a fighting game that doesnt even have essential features.
---
3DS FC: 0817-3744-5436 Name: Mugen
Add Meh
#3CTImpPosted 3/16/2013 6:50:24 PM
A robust online component is a must. Imo, it's far more important than a fleshed out single-player campaign.
---
Like my favorite show The O'Reilly Factor when I post the spin stops here.
#4Redmage1987Posted 3/16/2013 6:57:57 PM
Yes, I'd love to have Wi-Fi if it worked good. I can't take Brawl's online play seriously. I know Nintendo can do a good job of it if they try. I've played Animal Crossing City Folk, Dr. Mario (Wii) and Mario Kart Wii all on Wi-Fi and those work great.
---
The Old School Video Game King!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Redmage1987
#5LeftyGreenMarioPosted 3/16/2013 7:08:57 PM
In my selfish opinion, no.

But, if they're going to study how other companies do their online play, they should definitely bother with online play.
---
Every time I post, Wario gets killed. Luigi is the darling of the Mario twins, but people still think he needs more attention.
BabyLuigiOnFire is my sister.
#6Doug314Posted 3/16/2013 7:12:10 PM
KI:U has one of the best free onlines ever. Judging this by brawl's online is just using highly outdated information that has little to do with how this online will be.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB4
"I'm willing to bet money that Waluigi, Chrom and K. Rool are in this game" -DynasticAnthony
#7DasDavidPosted 3/16/2013 7:23:30 PM
Doug314 posted...
KI:U has one of the best free onlines ever. Judging this by brawl's online is just using highly outdated information that has little to do with how this online will be.

Exactly...

I'm sorry but this is a pretty stupid topic, Nintendo has not shown any signs of of their Brawl fiasco in regards to online play since.

Ask any Wii U owner, there's really not a damn thing to fear.
---
-->MY<-- Hoped SSB4 Roster. I can't stress that first part enough <.<
http://oi46.tinypic.com/313i2yu.jpg
#8SmallerRidleyPosted 3/16/2013 7:23:32 PM
The Wii wasn't exactly designed with connectivity in mind.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#9Electric_SonicPosted 3/17/2013 1:34:20 AM
"not being able" to make the game playable online is a s***ty excuse, they should be able to figure it out if every other company can

for a multiplayer-centric game in this day and age good online is essential

brawl's awful online was somewhat excusable since it was crippled by the wii's crappy online functionality (it was still very obvious that they didn't try with it though) but they can't f*** up like that again

(also none of the other games mentioned here have particularly good online they're just s***ty in less noticeable ways)
---
Nintendo Network ID: Sawnik | Steam ID: Conis
3DS FC: 2363-6130-2269
#10OblivionEssencePosted 3/17/2013 7:03:24 AM(edited)
It's 2013. At this point it's unacceptable for a fighting game not to have an online mode. The Wii U has much more improved online capabilities that the Wii, so online as bad as Brawl's is inexcusable. Also, Sakurai has implied that he didn't make a good online mode with Brawl, so we will most likely see an improved mode in the fourth game.
---
"Roy WILL be in SSBB." - OblivionEssence 8/18/06 | Week: 0
http://i44.tinypic.com/mr7pqt.gif http://i40.tinypic.com/2nvflp3.gif