I hope the item switch is removed from this game

#61harvestmoonmikePosted 3/26/2013 11:55:19 AM
And that's why I brought up the default settings, that's where the real problem lies. A Smash Bros. game shouldn't be made to equally please both ends, casual and core, it needs to please the casual first and foremost because of how a casual player approaches a game. It needs to be simple and easy, and throwing in a bunch of options will only confuse and overwhelm those players.

The options should still exist, of course, but they're off to the side, there for the more experienced players. And when casual players play enough to get comfortable with a game, that's enough experience for them to delve into those areas. And that's how it currently works, only, those extra options still aren't enough for the most hardcore of Smash players to be happy, apparently.
---
My SSB4 roster prediction/wishlist: generous: http://i.imgur.com/TfnNN.jpg
reduced: http://i.imgur.com/JSxGG.jpg
#62KSUkid55Posted 3/26/2013 3:28:36 PM
The "hardcore" players don't like the idea of those options being left out completely. I don't think "hardcore" players really care if everything is hidden, and if they're included at all, nobody would bat an eye at the finished product. The issue is whether they feel like Saki-poo is eliminating those options to spite them.
---
Take a stapler, some spare fur that might be lying around, and your threshold for pain, and turn your face into a woodland creature.
#63RECON64bitPosted 3/26/2013 3:33:47 PM
There were items in brawl that were just horrible though
#64MetaFalconPunchPosted 3/26/2013 4:51:17 PM
Traptin3days posted...
10/10 would read again.

Now I will just wait for new people...

---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
#65ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 7:20:17 PM(edited)
harvestmoonmike posted...
And that's why I brought up the default settings, that's where the real problem lies. A Smash Bros. game shouldn't be made to equally please both ends, casual and core, it needs to please the casual first and foremost because of how a casual player approaches a game. It needs to be simple and easy, and throwing in a bunch of options will only confuse and overwhelm those players.

The options should still exist, of course, but they're off to the side, there for the more experienced players. And when casual players play enough to get comfortable with a game, that's enough experience for them to delve into those areas. And that's how it currently works, only, those extra options still aren't enough for the most hardcore of Smash players to be happy, apparently.

All this assumes a poorly designed menu. If the menu is designed well it doesn't matter what the default is because anybody will be able to effortlessly set up the game exactly as they want it. You keep assuming casuals won't be able to use the menus but that is only true if the menu is designed poorly.

64 and Melee were good for casuals and competitives alike. There is no reason to screw over competitives in favor of casuals when they can both be satisfied at the same time. And it's the competitive players that give a game longevity so you don't get to dismiss them. Also, no matter how many casuals by the game, it can sell more if it reaches competitives as well. Considering it is possible to give competitives everything they need without threatening a single casual player, it is idiotic to give casuals priority at competitives' expense,

Pack up your goddamn false dilemma. Casuals and competitives can both get everything they need without giving casuals special treatment. It's called having neutral default settings that are easily adjustable for everyone,
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#66KSUkid55Posted 3/26/2013 8:21:27 PM(edited)
You keep assuming casuals won't be able to use the menus

No, he's assuming casuals won't want to use the menus and just want to play immediately with as little fuss as possible. Hiding things from them makes things smoother and less intimidating. Having neutral default settings isn't as important as having default settings that show a proper proportion of the features in the game without blowing everyone's mind immediately. Then they can dig.

There really isn't an issue with the way it's been done so far. It's been getting more accessible with each game, really.
---
Take a stapler, some spare fur that might be lying around, and your threshold for pain, and turn your face into a woodland creature.
#67ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 8:22:24 PM(edited)
KSUkid55 posted...
You keep assuming casuals won't be able to use the menus

No, he's assuming casuals won't want to use the menus and just want to play immediately with as little fuss as possible. Hiding things from them makes things smoother and less intimidating. Having neutral default settings isn't as important as having default settings that show a proper proportion of the features in the game without blowing everyone's mind immediately. Then they can dig.

If the menu is well-designed it won't hassle, confuse, or delay anyone.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
#68Captain_FetishPosted 3/26/2013 8:21:24 PM
RECON64bit posted...
There were items in brawl that were just horrible though

Bumper + Capsule = D:
---
Fetish Kick!
Surefire way to make me post in a topic? Try inb4ing me.
#69KSUkid55Posted 3/26/2013 8:23:58 PM
If the menu is well-designed it won't be a hassle or a delay for anyone.

The menus can't read your mind and apply those settings. Anything other than SMASH > SELECT CHARACTER > SELECT STAGE is getting in the way. Those default settings, which would be applied for those that just want to SMASH, should be set up for those people.
---
#70ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 8:29:15 PM(edited)
KSUkid55 posted...
If the menu is well-designed it won't be a hassle or a delay for anyone.

The menus can't read your mind and apply those settings. Anything other than SMASH > SELECT CHARACTER > SELECT STAGE is getting in the way. Those default settings, which would be applied for those that just want to SMASH, should be set up for those people.

The menu doesn't have to read your mind. If it's well-designed you'll find everything you need anyway. If it's well-designed it won't feel like a hassle. Presets help.
---