I hope the item switch is removed from this game

#71KSUkid55Posted 3/26/2013 8:27:15 PM
What is "well-designed"? Do you have a schematic?
---
Take a stapler, some spare fur that might be lying around, and your threshold for pain, and turn your face into a woodland creature.
#72KSUkid55Posted 3/26/2013 8:34:06 PM
Presets help.

Yes, but they only help after you've dug through the menu system, and then you have to find and choose the preset every time you change. This is about the default settings out of the box.

If you mean adding ****ing sliders for everything options, then yeah, presets would help everybody, because that's intimidating on any level. Oblivion character creation would be ridiculous without a random face generator.
---
Take a stapler, some spare fur that might be lying around, and your threshold for pain, and turn your face into a woodland creature.
#73ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 8:34:27 PM
KSUkid55 posted...
What is "well-designed"? Do you have a schematic?

That's not my job to design the menu. I'm simply pointing out how casuals and competives can both get everything they need without favoring one or the other. The fact that it's theoretically possible to satisfy both at once is reason enough for me to oppose giving one side priority.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#74ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 8:37:26 PM
KSUkid55 posted...
Presets help.

Yes, but they only help after you've dug through the menu system, and then you have to find and choose the preset every time you change. This is about the default settings out of the box.

If you mean adding ****ing sliders for everything options, then yeah, presets would help everybody, because that's intimidating on any level. Oblivion character creation would be ridiculous without a random face generator.

Not necessarily. It's called having the option to choose a preset right at the beginning. For example, the Pokemon Stadium games had a ton of options but they also had a "Battle Now" feature for players who wanted to see Pokemon fight in 3D without all the trouble of uploading and building a team.

It would also be nice if you could customize the home screen just like on a phone.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
#75KSUkid55Posted 3/26/2013 8:37:28 PM
But is there a menu system that exists or even comes close to being that effortless without any prior use? I've never seen one, and you're using a hypothetical as proof.
---
#76ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 8:41:39 PM(edited)
KSUkid55 posted...
But is there a menu system that exists or even comes close to being that effortless without any prior use? I've never seen one, and you're using a hypothetical as proof.

The fact that it can happen even hypothetically is reason enough for me to oppose not doing it. And the system isn't the only thing that makes the casual vs competitive dilemma false. 64 and Melee pleased both sides equally. Why can't the next game do it too?

If I had to pick an example I'd say smartphones. They're pretty intuitive if you just want to call people but there's also plenty of flexibility for people who want to change the settings.
---
#77KSUkid55Posted 3/26/2013 8:42:14 PM
The fact that it can happen even hypothetically is reason enough for me to oppose not doing it.

It isn't a fact, though. There's no evidence that it can happen.

Not necessarily. It's called having the option to choose a preset right at the beginning. For example, the Pokemon Stadium games had a ton of options but they also had a "Battle Now" feature for players who wanted to see Pokemon fight in 3D without all the trouble of uploading and building a team.

It would also be nice if you could customize the home screen just like on a phone.

But how is that going to work out of the box? Are you separating Basic Brawl from Custom Brawl or are you putting the options on the screen with the characters? Do you have to open a menu other than SMASH > SELECT CHARACTER > SELECT STAGE to choose the preset?

Also, how can you customize the screen if you've never seen the screen before? How can you expect someone who's never played the game before to know how to customize the screen to make it easier?
---
#78ViewtifulGene(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 8:44:32 PM
KSUkid55 posted...
The fact that it can happen even hypothetically is reason enough for me to oppose not doing it.

It isn't a fact, though. There's no evidence that it can happen.

There's no evidence that it can't. Until it is proven impossible I have no reason to oppose it.

But how is that going to work out of the box? Are you separating Basic Brawl from Custom Brawl or are you putting the options on the screen with the characters? Do you have to open a menu other than SMASH > SELECT CHARACTER > SELECT STAGE to choose the preset?

Also, how can you customize the screen if you've never seen the screen before? How can you expect someone who's never played the game before to know how to customize the screen to make it easier?

I'm not a menu designer. Not my job to figure it out.
---
#79KSUkid55Posted 3/26/2013 8:45:37 PM
And the system isn't the only thing that makes the casual vs competitive dilemma false. 64 and Melee pleased both sides equally. Why can't the next game do it too?

That's not even the argument, since those games used default settings that were EXACTLY AS I'M DESCRIBING. What are you trying to say?

If I had to pick an example I'd say smartphones. They're pretty intuitive if you just want to call people but there's also plenty of flexibility for people who want to change the settings.

Yes, but you're trying to hide the option to make a call for the option to add application icons to the screen. Those are designed, by default, to show features casual users use most often. The options for advanced users are hidden within the menus.
---
#80KSUkid55Posted 3/26/2013 8:46:42 PM
There's no evidence that it can't. Until it is proven impossible I have no reason to oppose it.

Are you intentionally breaking logic? You can't prove something can't happen.

I'm not a menu designer. Not my job to figure it out.

Then why are you trying to use the solution that nobody knows as proof for changing a core feature?
---