This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

this will be even BETTER compared to ps all stars!!

#11DasDavidPosted 3/24/2013 7:37:21 PM
usaamahlink posted...
DasDavid posted...
NewMoonShadow posted...
DasDavid posted...
no one can really argue that less content makes for a better game.

Actually a lot of people argue this exactly thing, especially when talking about the "New Super Mario Bros." franchise.

Never ran across that but I guess what I should say is I can't agree with or see how people can possibly think less content makes for a better game.

His argument is less content with high quality content vs lots of content which is not polished and essentially broken.

Oh. Kay, I guess, but my point isn't whether more content that's crap is better than less content that's awesome. Content in this topic I assumed was referring to content of quality.

I'm saying more content period is better than less content period. I know that sounds a bit eh, but I mean... it's not as if All-Stars has a few modes but those modes put all of Smash to shame, if that makes sense?
---
-->MY<-- Latest SSB4 Roster.
http://i.imgur.com/GEE3K3d.png
#12RJ-MacReadyPosted 3/24/2013 10:02:47 PM
DasDavid posted...
RJ-MacReady posted...
taoxadasa posted...
Well of course.

I love PS All-Stars, but Smash is much better (mostly content-wise). However, I think they are equally fun and the next Smash could definitely adapt some ideas from All-Stars.

LMAO mostly content wise? PSABR sucks due to the gameplay being based on landing your super attacks. You could be landing more attacks and out playing your opponent however you could still lose if you dont land your supers. Talk about trying to have a game with random outcomes.

So set them up in a way that you can land them? there is some skill involved and it's not as if you could really win a match if you're doing crappy since if you aren't landing hits you aren't going to build up to a super enough times to win anyway.

The biggest problem is that because some characters have supers that are considerably more effective than others, you see a lot of the same characters being used based purely on their supers and maybe one or two regular attacks that can be spammed to fill the meter up.

Still prefer Smash, but in my opinion the biggest thing that separates these two franchises in terms of quality is the content. The gameplay caters to different people and some prefer All-Stars, but no one can really argue that less content makes for a better game.

You said it yourself some characters have supers that are considerably more effective to than others which what? Makes the outcomes of matches more random since an opponent thats doing well has a less chance of winning if his supers are less effective. You also stated you see a lot of the same characters being used based purely on their supers.

Hello that just confirms what ive been saying it makes the outcome of matches more random. Of course people are going to be picking the characters with the more effective supers because no one wants to do all that work to build up meter just to have less of a chance of landing it because supers determine the outcome of a match.

Supers in my opinion should effective the outcome of matches not be the main reason you win or lose matches.
---
PSN TheTHCGamer
LIVE TheSativaGamer
#13ToadkartPosted 3/24/2013 10:53:44 PM
Yeah, really my only gripe with PSAS is the kill system(yeah some obvious characters were missing but that wasn't entirely Super Bot's fault so I'll give them a pass on that). Why the supers couldn't have been implemented in addition to a SSB-like kill system or a health bar I don't know. I get they were trying to be unique and set themselves apart from SSB, but they made the game a lot less fun because of it imo. It was an absolute chore going through Arcade mode with every character(including the 4 DLC characters) even just on the easiest difficulty. I hate the rival battles at the end since they're not timed, don't have any items, and you have to kill them 3 times(which is hard to do when some character's specials suck).
#14DasDavidPosted 3/24/2013 11:07:28 PM
RJ-MacReady posted...

LMAO mostly content wise? PSABR sucks due to the gameplay being based on landing your super attacks. You could be landing more attacks and out playing your opponent however you could still lose if you dont land your supers. Talk about trying to have a game with random outcomes.

You said it yourself some characters have supers that are considerably more effective to than others which what? Makes the outcomes of matches more random since an opponent thats doing well has a less chance of winning if his supers are less effective. You also stated you see a lot of the same characters being used based purely on their supers.

Hello that just confirms what ive been saying it makes the outcome of matches more random. Of course people are going to be picking the characters with the more effective supers because no one wants to do all that work to build up meter just to have less of a chance of landing it because supers determine the outcome of a match.

Supers in my opinion should effective the outcome of matches not be the main reason you win or lose matches.

Nothing about that makes it random though. Some characters are cheaper/easier to be good with than others and that's going to attract some people, but it's not random. It's not entirely too different (if at all) from top-tier characters being used in other fighting games. And despite how you may have read my comment it's not as if all players only use the characters that are easiest to be good with, people still have their preferences and skill with any character can still lead you to victory if you use their attacks correctly and are legitimately better than your opponent.

So in regards to that part you bolded, there's nothing random about it, if you're landing more attacks and truly outplaying your opponent then...

A.) You're good with enough with your character to know how their supers operate and how to set them up properly since landing supers is part of outplaying your opponent.

and

B.) You're opponent isn't even going to build up their meter enough to land cheap supers in the first place, seeing as they're apparently getting completely outplayed anyway.
---
#15RJ-MacReadyPosted 3/26/2013 2:53:52 PM
DasDavid posted...
RJ-MacReady posted...

Nothing about that makes it random though. Some characters are cheaper/easier to be good with than others and that's going to attract some people, but it's not random. It's not entirely too different (if at all) from top-tier characters being used in other fighting games. And despite how you may have read my comment it's not as if all players only use the characters that are easiest to be good with, people still have their preferences and skill with any character can still lead you to victory if you use their attacks correctly and are legitimately better than your opponent.

So in regards to that part you bolded, there's nothing random about it, if you're landing more attacks and truly outplaying your opponent then...

A.) You're good with enough with your character to know how their supers operate and how to set them up properly since landing supers is part of outplaying your opponent.

and

B.) You're opponent isn't even going to build up their meter enough to land cheap supers in the first place, seeing as they're apparently getting completely outplayed anyway.

Once again the more skilled opponent still could end up losing if his opponents are using characters with better supers or if he misses his supers. Lets not try to over complicate things and make it out to be more than what it is. Also yes all fighting games have tiers but a fighting game heavily based on tiers due which characters have better supers makes that game more RANDOM.
---
PSN TheTHCGamer
LIVE TheSativaGamer
#16alpha-apePosted 3/26/2013 2:55:42 PM
Being better than Playstation All Stars isn't really much of a challenge, so definitely agree.
---
Official Jigglypuff of the Super Smash Bros. Wii U boards
#17KSUkid55Posted 3/26/2013 3:00:37 PM
Also yes all fighting games have tiers but a fighting game heavily based on tiers due which characters have better supers makes that game more RANDOM.

How is it more random? Both players can exploit the system in the same way. If you're not getting as many supers as you should, you're either not playing well or you're not playing correctly. The game having strongly defined tiers makes it less random, if anything.
---
Take a stapler, some spare fur that might be lying around, and your threshold for pain, and turn your face into a woodland creature.
#18RJ-MacReadyPosted 3/26/2013 9:36:17 PM
KSUkid55 posted...
Also yes all fighting games have tiers but a fighting game heavily based on tiers due which characters have better supers makes that game more RANDOM.

How is it more random? Both players can exploit the system in the same way. If you're not getting as many supers as you should, you're either not playing well or you're not playing correctly. The game having strongly defined tiers makes it less random, if anything.

Your talking solely about tiers which has nothing to do with random and of course both players can exploit the system the same way however do you really want to keep seeing the same character that EASILY HAS THE BEST EXPLOITS? There is one way to play it land your supers so you can win or dont land your supers then lose.

Heres the main point if a person who might be using a lesser tier character based solely on having weaker supers is winning the match however misses his supers he still loses. That my friends makes the gameplay more random. Its not science and as i stated I PERSONALLY feel supers should play a part in the gameplay not be the reason you win/lose.
---
PSN TheTHCGamer
LIVE TheSativaGamer
#19OnionOfMysteryPosted 3/26/2013 9:48:07 PM
RJ-MacReady posted...
KSUkid55 posted...

...nothing to do with random and...

That my friends makes the gameplay more random.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30353297.jpg
---
The official OnionOfMystery of Reality.
"Vaan is like a Robin in a universe composed entirely of Batmans."
#20DasDavidPosted 3/26/2013 10:07:01 PM
OnionOfMystery posted...
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/30353297.jpg

This is what I've been thinking this whole time... I mean... I know what he's getting at but he just keeps using possibly the worst word possible to describe his, admittedly warranted, gripe.
---