why not ridley as a playable character?

#11Jack_the_monke7Posted 3/26/2013 12:53:37 PM
What a novel idea TC! I agree, lets all get on board with this Ridley fellow. Haven't heard any support for him around here ever.

... but seriously, Ridley for SSB
#12ViewtifulGenePosted 3/26/2013 1:04:28 PM(edited)
liveman789 posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
liveman789 posted...
What he has against him that he was pushed aside in every Smash Bros game, despite his high demand and importance to the Metroid series. Even Zero Suit Samus was considered before him. There's also the rather minor problem of shrinking his awkwardly shaped body and making it work as a fighting character in a game like Smash Bros.

What he has going for him is that the pool of potential newcomers gets smaller with each installment. His chances may be higher because of this, but at the same time it's also very likely that we'll be getting a smaller amount of newcomers this time around.

I guess we can't have any newcomer that existed during the 64 era either then. After all, they were all pushed aside for other characters too.

There'd be no trouble shrinking Ridley if he was given proportions like he had in Super Metroid. Nobody complained about his wings and tail being too small there.

I know his size isn't a huge deal. Just a minor one, like I said originally, that may take some extra effort to implement.

And I was talking about the most demanded characters, not every single one that's existed since the 64 era. It's just that Ridley was always one of the most demanded characters since the 64 installment existed.

This explains why Wario, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, and Dedede never got in Brawl. Sakurai knew they were important but they all got brushed aside for clones in Melee. This also explains why Charizard was never made playable. Sakurai knew Charizard was popular but he kept that character as a pokeball summon and a stage hazard forever.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#13ChrisCanbergPosted 3/26/2013 12:59:51 PM
The sizing down worked for Bowser because he's stocky, and as long as he stayed stocky then all would be well. Ridley's too scrawny and lanky. It'd be far too noticeable if Ridley was too "bunched" looking.
#14ViewtifulGenePosted 3/26/2013 1:01:26 PM
ChrisCanberg posted...
The sizing down worked for Bowser because he's stocky, and as long as he stayed stocky then all would be well. Ridley's too scrawny and lanky. It'd be far too noticeable if Ridley was too "bunched" looking.

His Super Metroid body type would work fine. He wouldn't be any more bunched than how he was in his classic battle animations.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
#15liveman789Posted 3/26/2013 1:10:43 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
liveman789 posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
liveman789 posted...
What he has against him that he was pushed aside in every Smash Bros game, despite his high demand and importance to the Metroid series. Even Zero Suit Samus was considered before him. There's also the rather minor problem of shrinking his awkwardly shaped body and making it work as a fighting character in a game like Smash Bros.

What he has going for him is that the pool of potential newcomers gets smaller with each installment. His chances may be higher because of this, but at the same time it's also very likely that we'll be getting a smaller amount of newcomers this time around.

I guess we can't have any newcomer that existed during the 64 era either then. After all, they were all pushed aside for other characters too.

There'd be no trouble shrinking Ridley if he was given proportions like he had in Super Metroid. Nobody complained about his wings and tail being too small there.

I know his size isn't a huge deal. Just a minor one, like I said originally, that may take some extra effort to implement.

And I was talking about the most demanded characters, not every single one that's existed since the 64 era. It's just that Ridley was always one of the most demanded characters since the 64 installment existed.

This explains why Wario, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, and Dedede never got in Brawl. Sakurai knew they were important but they all got brushed aside for clones in Melee.

They were probably pushed aside in favor of clones due to time contraints, and clones are much easier to make. They did get into Brawl, though, as playable characters. Ridley got into Brawl as a boss. A pretty detailed boss, at that, with various animations, attacks, and a detailed design. They could have taken the time that it took them to make him a boss and and the time it took to make an unnecessary last-minute clone or 2 (like Wolf or Toon Link), and instead make him a playable character instead. But they didn't.

Am I saying he has zero chances? No, I'm not making the game so I don't have a clue. Developers' opinions can change, and like I said originally, the pool of potential newcomers is smaller than last time. But a lot of people let their personal bias towards the character get in the way of them seeing the facts and patterns and how they may continue.
---
My latest Smash Bros 4 roster: http://oi46.tinypic.com/2rz99xx.jpg
#16The_Nega_ShadowPosted 3/26/2013 1:13:50 PM
As much as i think Ridley would be an excellent addition to Smash, if they decide to use Other M Samus for this game, she'd have a nervous beakdown whenever you select him.
---
The official District Attorney of the Super Smash Bros Wii U board
Praise the lord, our one true Waaaa!
#17DasDavidPosted 3/26/2013 1:18:55 PM
The_Nega_Shadow posted...
As much as i think Ridley would be an excellent addition to Smash, if they decide to use Other M Samus for this game, she'd have a nervous beakdown whenever you select him.

Well I guess he's out then, next topic D=
---
-->MY<-- Latest SSB4 Roster.
http://i.imgur.com/GEE3K3d.png
#18Limelight788Posted 3/26/2013 1:29:40 PM(edited)

Ridley was not among the most wanted characters pre-Melee. Plenty of characters eclipsed him during that time (such as Bowser, Peach, Ganondorf, Diddy Kong and Mewtwo).
---
Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Geno, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Mewtwo, Deoxys, Pichu, Genesect, Roy, Palutena, Mach Rider, Ray, and Mega Man for SSB4!
#19ViewtifulGenePosted 3/26/2013 2:21:20 PM(edited)
liveman789 posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
liveman789 posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
liveman789 posted...

This explains why Wario, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, and Dedede never got in Brawl. Sakurai knew they were important but they all got brushed aside for clones in Melee.

They were probably pushed aside in favor of clones due to time contraints, and clones are much easier to make. They did get into Brawl, though, as playable characters. Ridley got into Brawl as a boss. A pretty detailed boss, at that, with various animations, attacks, and a detailed design. They could have taken the time that it took them to make him a boss and and the time it took to make an unnecessary last-minute clone or 2 (like Wolf or Toon Link), and instead make him a playable character instead. But they didn't.

Am I saying he has zero chances? No, I'm not making the game so I don't have a clue. Developers' opinions can change, and like I said originally, the pool of potential newcomers is smaller than last time. But a lot of people let their personal bias towards the character get in the way of them seeing the facts and patterns and how they may continue.

Dpesn't mean Sakurai has no interest in making Ridley playable. Maybe he didn't know players would rather have him playable.

Nobody said patterns can't continue. There's no proof they're more likely to continue than not.
---
#20KSUkid55Posted 3/26/2013 3:19:32 PM
Why not Zoidberg?
---
Take a stapler, some spare fur that might be lying around, and your threshold for pain, and turn your face into a woodland creature.