Final Prediction Roster before E3 2013...

#21Cookie_AromaPosted 3/28/2013 12:22:01 PM
Limelight788 posted...
Roy also outclass him [Chrom] in popularity in both Japan and in the West (being the most wanted in Japan and among the Top 10 in the West),

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8JKkvbXkU
#22Limelight788(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 12:38:12 PM(edited)
Except all the characters that got in had major appearances in games afterwards. Roy has not.

Marth made no appearance in any game whatsoever for nearly eight years and yet he got into Melee. Pit hadn't made an appearance in over fifteen years before getting into Brawl (twenty years if we take into account that Of Myth and Monsters never reached America). Pit got in because he was highly requested in Japan and America, not because he was recent. We also can't forget the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B.

And Roy has made an appearance since Brawl as a DLC in Awakening. I remember him getting revealed as one of the early DLC with a complete redesign, so Intelligent System hasn't completely forgotten him.
---
Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Geno, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Mewtwo, Deoxys, Pichu, Genesect, Roy, Palutena, Mach Rider, Ray, and Mega Man for SSB4!
#23_Super_Shadow_Posted 3/28/2013 1:06:46 PM
Im sorry but that is by far the most uninspired, and least exciting roster ive ever seen.

My Thoughts on the following Series
FIRE EMBLEM-Just because they were in a past game, does not make them have a better chance than newer characters, besides mewtwo to some extent. I dont think we have a shot at seeing ANY Melee characters return other wise, and honestly, Why would we have some one like roy return over a new Fire Emblem Character. Fire Emblem Awakening is so big, that it met Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragons entire sales, in the one month is out, and considering this game will be on both WII U and 3DS, expect both to be represented. Lucina, Chrom, Anna, are far more Realistic choices, and Roy was a cloine ( not saying that this cant change ) but if he is getting a new moveset, why pick him? why put all that effort into a character that doesnt deserve it as much as an awakening one does, even if you like it or not.

POKEMON-Mewtwo getting in is fine, but not in place of pokemon trainer, or jigglypuff is not, and DEFINITELY not in over a New rep like genesect or a 6th gen. Thank you for keeping Lucario though.

MARIOToad over Bowser Jr. Really? I love Toad, but he is designed as an incredibly simple character, and lacks any sort of real star power these days. Very little of him will draw players towards him as he wont offer any sort of special umpf. I can understand his popularity, but even me being the giant fan of Toad I am, I will admit that he would be such an uninteresting choice for smash bros, when the game is going to be making even harder decisions for characters. Bowser jr would be very unique with his size, and bower. Not to mention his paintbrush and popularity. Toad is fine being repped the way he is, as a move for peach, and maybe appearing in a couple levels or so.

DONKEY KONG- I shouldnt even have to go into why giving four reps to donkey kong is out of the question when other series get left high and dry like legend of zelda, pokemon and fire emblem. This is not me saying I dislike the series in any way, so no one think that. But Dixie's been in only a small amount of donkey kong games, and what makes her interesting is a her propeller hair, Donkey Kongs had that move for a long time now, spinning like a helicopter. I love dixie and she is one of my favorite kongs, but there is no way donkey kong needs 4 reps over nintendo's other franchises, especially her.

LEGEND OF ZELDA- Really? you give the absolutely "stale" character of toad in the game, but not one of the many MANY contenders from a new zelda game a chance? No tetra? she has been in Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, The Japanese version of Four Swords Adventures, and now the brand new wii U Remake of Wind Waker. she has been in tons of games, and if you dont want that, why not vaati? impa? even tingle despite his western hate. Thank you for keeping toon link though, he deserves his spot a lot.
---
Ridley, Tom Nook, Lucina, Bowser Jr, Palutena, Megaman, Lloyd Irving, and Agumon for Smash
#24_Super_Shadow_Posted 3/28/2013 1:06:59 PM
F-ZERO- No, just no. I love the series, but its a weak seller when compared to nintendo's greater franchises. its been quoted that not even the heads of nintendo believe that its that in demand from fans* ( when compared to their larger titles ) giving this franchise two characters is such a stretch, especially when we havent had much hope for the series in a while besides nintendo land. not to mention the character selected wouldnt draw a lot of eyes to the series all to much.

PUNCH OUT- this one is personal opinion so ill give you that. but little mac shouldnt be a character in tge game based on the fact that despite all odds ittle mac will never not fight "dirty" having little mac do ANYTHING other than jab right, left, and an upper cut, is against his character entirely, using a beam sword, kicking, throwing bombs? that sounds exactly like the villains of punch out, and would make the character completely different than who he is. I love little mac, and if they put him in, part of me will be happy. but it would just seem awkward to me including this character in here.

RETRO- Just because its now standard to have a retro character in a game, does not mean we can excuse characters for being terrible choices and just down right unnecessary and obscure. Mach Rider does not deserve a spot in smash in the slightest. Especially considering the characters you so outrageously denied to support his inclusion. There are so little characters on your roster that would create the same aweh and wow power that the series is known for. Seeing that being the roster of a new smash game would be the first and only time the series has let me down.
---
Ridley, Tom Nook, Lucina, Bowser Jr, Palutena, Megaman, Lloyd Irving, and Agumon for Smash
#25UberPyro64Posted 3/28/2013 1:13:25 PM
Limelight788 posted...
Except all the characters that got in had major appearances in games afterwards. Roy has not.

Marth made no appearance in any game whatsoever for nearly eight years and yet he got into Melee. Pit hadn't made an appearance in over fifteen years before getting into Brawl (twenty years if we take into account that Of Myth and Monsters never reached America). Pit got in because he was highly requested in Japan and America, not because he was recent. We also can't forget the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B.

And Roy has made an appearance since Brawl as a DLC in Awakening. I remember him getting revealed as one of the early DLC with a complete redesign, so Intelligent System hasn't completely forgotten him.

Except Marth is the first hero and pretty much the mascot of the series. Roy is not.
---
My SSB4 Roster: http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/7451/april2013roster.png
#26Limelight788(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 1:21:55 PM
Recentness is not Chrom's only strength. It's also the fact that Awakening has been both heavily advertised (even receiving commercials in the US) and successful. Going by all of the attention that Chrom and Lucina have received in the advertisements, I'd be surprised if IS didn't end up suggesting either character to Sakurai.

The bolded is why I gave Chrom a 50/50, because I acknowledge that he does have a fair shot of getting into the game (being the definite Fire Emblem newcomer, Fire Emblem characters being very popular in Smash, moderate popularity).

Sales don't correlate to popularity, especially in regards to what characters are wanted for Smash 4 and of course what gets in. I mean seriously, Mii's are one of Nintendo's biggest series and not only has Sakurai shot them down pre-Brawl, they are also generally unpopular additions. Chrom does have moderate popularity within the Smash community, but he's not highly requested.

Then where's Dr. Mario in your roster? Going by your logic, he's more likely than Toad.

Roy and Mewtwo have victory files in the data whereas Dr. Mario doesn't. This shows that Roy and Mewtwo were kept on the roster much longer after the others were dropped.

"Bland" how? Personality? Because personality doesn't mean **** in Smash Bros. (half of the roster says hi) and Roy doesn't exactly have much going for him in that department either.

Because Chrom is relatively similar to Marth and Ike. Chrom's Falchion is based off of Marth's Falchion and Chrom's design shares similarities to Ike. Sakurai is wary of characters that aren't unique (unique move sets potentials doesn't matter as characters can be unique in other ways) so Sakurai might see Chrom as too similar to Marth and Ike, although this is nothing definitive.

That being said, I'm not against Chrom's inclusion in Smash 4. After all, I'd rather have him in than any of the FE females (or pretty much anyone that isn't Roy or an unique Leaf).
---
Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Geno, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Mewtwo, Deoxys, Pichu, Genesect, Roy, Palutena, Mach Rider, Ray, and Mega Man for SSB4!
#27LegendofLegaiaPosted 3/28/2013 1:45:52 PM(edited)
Limelight788 posted...
Sales don't correlate to popularity, especially in regards to what characters are wanted for Smash 4 and of course what gets in.

Then here's an Awakening popularity poll:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/fe/kakusei_bk/kekka/index.html

And here's another one:

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/img/fe13poll.jpg

And there was another one on Facebook where Lucina got 1st place and Chrom got 5th. Both characters have plenty of popularity.

Also, I wasn't trying to make a point about the popularity of the characters, moreso that IS would want Awakening to be repped. Roy is nowhere near the best candidate for that, as he's only an optional DLC/Streetpass character in that game.

Chrom does have moderate popularity within the Smash community, but he's not highly requested.

Going by what Snakey has told us (which I assume is what you're going by, since you're saying that Roy is highly requested), Chrom's name if often brought up in the Japanese fanbase. I'd also like some polls or any sort of evidence that Chrom isn't as requested in comparison to other potential newcomers.

Roy and Mewtwo have victory files in the data whereas Dr. Mario doesn't. This shows that Roy and Mewtwo were kept on the roster much longer after the others were dropped.

Dr. Mario was planned to be playable, regardless of whether or not he had a victory theme planned. Toad wasn't.

Going by that logic, Sakurai had more of an interest in bringing back Dr. Mario than he did in making Toad playable.

Sakurai is wary of characters that aren't unique (unique move sets potentials doesn't matter as characters can be unique in other ways) so Sakurai might see Chrom as too similar to Marth and Ike, although this is nothing definitive.

Since when? Last time I checked, Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Toon Link have all been playable characters at some point. Ness and Lucas also look similar to each other, but that didn't prevent them both from being in Brawl.

I fail to see how Chrom having a reforged Falchion (essentially making it a different sword) and having a similar design to RD Ike would be a problem.
---
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it." - Kreia
#28Gamer09ePosted 3/29/2013 12:49:24 AM
Limelight788 posted...
I understand that Pac-Man isn't just some random character, but then again, neither are the likes of Cloud and Bomberman. Yet most would agree that both are not getting in Smash 4. Pac-Man might be among the most iconic characters in video game history, but while being iconic isn't a non-factor, you'd think that Sakurai would have made room for him in Brawl.

To expand on my point as to why I don't feel Namco working with Sakurai makes Pac-Man likely, do remember that Namco is assisting with Sakurai in the gameplay department, which is where the main influence will come from. There is nothing that indicates that Namco will be helping out with character selection and Sakurai already does a good enough job with deciding which characters should be in. You're also assuming that Sakurai will add whatever popular character Namco wants in, but that's not the case. Sakurai is exceptionally strict on what third-parties get in and even said that he was "narrowing down focus" on them back in August of last year. Unless another Snake-like reveal occurs (which Pac-Man certainly wouldn't be), this means that Sakurai is going to add the very best third-parties and nothing else.

I wouldn't expect Miyamoto to make nearly as big of an impact on the roster as you think. Miyamoto might be able to suggest Pac-Man, but the ultimate decision lies in Sakurai. If Sakurai doesn't want Pac-Man (and I don't see why Sakurai would), then he won't be in and not even Miyamoto can override his decision.

There's too much I see going against Pac-Man to view him as a plausible choice, let alone make my roster prediction. He might have a slight chance of getting in just because of how iconic he is, but if that didn't get him into Brawl, then I have a hard time seeing his iconic status being enough for Sakurai to include him.

As far as I'm concern, the only third-party choices I see as realistic contenders are Mega Man and Professor Layton. For Mega Man, its because of his massive popularity and Sakurai having acknowledge his popularity back to pre-Melee time and for Layton, because Hino (president of Level-5), who is friends with Sakurai, has expressed interest in having Layton included. I don't expect to see Layton, but at least I could see why we might get him (he's my dark horse choice for a third-party).

using the logic that pacman doesn't have a chance because he wasn't included in brawl (which namco had no part in what so ever) yet turn around and say that megaman has a chance knowing he wasn't included in brawl as well despite being heavily requested as well is moot. Now that reason why i believe that pac-man has a high chance now is because namco is working with the game along with sakurai now unlike brawl so it would be a longer jump to assume that pacman would have any chance during brawl productions seeing as sakurai had no tie to namco on smash bros 3 where as now they do.And Sure Sakurai has the final say when it comes to the final roster, but as snake in brawl has proven sakurai has been known to included lead characters for fellow friends, so since namco is working along with sakurai, one can believe that they have a close relationship, so who to say that pac-man being namco mascot and all couldn't be included in smash 4 as a tribute to namco hard work in the game, just like snake was included in brawl as a favor to Kojima. Now its fine to not be a fan of pacman but to honestly believe pac-man has little to no chance based on all that is going for him this time around is preposterous.
---
Elektra for UMvC 3 and Pac man for SSBWIIU
#29bestssbbfanPosted 3/29/2013 12:56:11 AM
On the topic of roy and chrom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqc7CEE0ekE

Dont kid yourself, you saw this coming a mile away.
---
Created 6/12/2011
This sig will not change until mewtwo is confirmed in Super Smash Bros 4!
#30RawstyleEeveePosted 3/29/2013 2:18:09 AM
Limelight788 posted...

true but your assuming sakurai is automatically gonna say no, its pac-man i mean what reason wouldn't he want to include him...

Sakurai already said he also saw the need to narrow down 3rd parties in this game roster & Mega Man has more priority then any Namco rep because that is the 3rd party character people want

Even if Capcom won't allow it, I wouldn't be surprised, Sakurai cuts guest characters entirely from the game

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/40711/smash-bros-wii-u-may-not-feature-more-non-nintendo-characters/
---
Official Eevee of the Pokemon X/Y board