Popeye for Smash!

#1Shadow_StarWolfPosted 3/29/2013 8:50:06 AM
Miyamoto wanted to do Popeye prior to Donkey Kong. And isn't he public domain by now?
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!
#2LegendofLegaiaPosted 3/29/2013 9:07:29 AM
No thanks. Video game characters only, please.
---
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it." - Kreia
#3NanaboboPosted 3/29/2013 9:45:36 AM
His earlier cartoons are public domain, but his character itself is still copyrighted.
Even if they could get him, I don't think Popeye would be good for Smash Brothers. Besides not being an original video game character, I can't imagine him being very interesting to play as. Throwing anchors, using his pipe to fly, punching... Final Smash being spinach.
---
White FC: 1034 0534 2444
#41918mePosted 3/29/2013 11:32:23 AM
Wimpy for smash!
---
I'm not even going to try to make my sig stand out like most people do.
"I've seen this sig several different times." ~Maj_Massacre
#5Captain_FetishPosted 3/29/2013 1:45:16 PM
Nanabobo posted...
His earlier cartoons are public domain, but his character itself is still copyrighted.
Even if they could get him, I don't think Popeye would be good for Smash Brothers. Besides not being an original video game character, I can't imagine him being very interesting to play as. Throwing anchors, using his pipe to fly, punching... Final Smash being spinach.

>implying what you listed isn't interesting

wat
---
Fetish Kick!
Surefire way to make me post in a topic? Try inb4ing me.
#6BobGuy128Posted 3/29/2013 2:00:59 PM
Considering Mario wouldn't exist if it weren't for Popeye, he is the one non-game character that could be considered important to Nintendo.
---
Sorry, there's nothing here.
#7SmallerRidleyPosted 3/29/2013 2:17:12 PM
Considering Mario wouldn't exist if it weren't for Popeye, he is the one non-game character that could be considered important to Nintendo.

It wasn't for Popeye. If it were, we wouldn't have Mario.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#8Shadow_StarWolf(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 5:01:24 AM
I can pretty much see this:

- Popeye Punch - chargeable punch that can reflect attacks, deal moderate damage, break guards AND move, but cannot be "stored"
- Pipe Fly - uses his pipe to fly; has a trajectory like Lucario's ExtremeSpeed but can deal damage
- Anchors Away - hurls an anchor; charging has him swing the anchor around him, which deals damage; more charge has the anchor travel further and deal more damage
- Twister Punch - multi hit drill punch that moves Popeye forward
- Spinach - super buff mode that enhances Popeye's attacks
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!