This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people think so many unlikely characters are shoo-ins?

#41SmokedChiliPosted 3/31/2013 12:45:06 PM
ViewtifulGene posted...
SmokedChili posted...
Ari917 posted...
The thing is that we can't make any definite statements, even when being analytical you have to recognize that there's a chance that the opposite can happen (provided that the chance exists of course). That's why statements like "not for you to decide" have been said, saying things like "I don't see how it can bloody hell happen" sounds like writing off the possibility.

Yes, but when majority of people go around saying "This is so gonna HAPPENNNN!!!!1" without any freakin' way to prove it other than twisting (as in making it 100%-or-close-to-it true) given answers for their own convenience, it gets annoying to those who just don't see such likelihood and vice versa. And when someone tries to throw in a different perspective -- be it the opposing viewpoint or a third option -- it's likely going to be misinterpreted and bombared with ridiculous replies. My "bloody hell" comment may have the tone of writing off Ridley's chances, but what point does it have with me deciding anything about the game when a whole bunch of his fans are already almost-fully convinced of his playability and state it in the straightest way possible, or when there's all the talk about how the developers should do the game?

ViewtifulGene
There's no requirement to have him scrunched 100% of the time in a moveset. For example, he could extend his neck or an arm for standalone moves if needed to add attack variety. Another example could be extending his arms for grabs, then carrying his opponent in the same hunched position he had when carrying Samus or the baby Metroid in Super Metroid.

And I don't see what's so clunky about a design and fighting stance that references the way Ridley fought in one of his most-acclaimed appearances. If that's how he actually fights in his games, I don't see any problem in using it here.

I'd find it clunky because I'd also find it hilarious. Ridley, the Space Pirate commander and Samus' trauma switch, fighting in a scrunched position with extending neck and claws. He's supposed to be a terror, not some hunched lizard. It would bug me a LOT.

He always fights scrunched in the games. I don't see the goddamn problem in making him fight with the same posture he fought with in the games. And he can still look intimidating without being massive.

I'm specifically referring to his Super Metroid incarnation. Zero Mission actually shows him "standing" on his back feet and making him seem less "folded". Now that's what I would be okay with.
---
I'm up to my nipples in stupid Internet arguments.
#42JangobadassPosted 3/31/2013 12:58:01 PM
First party, have appeared in multiple games, good ( or at least decent) moveset potential (some better than others)
---
6 episodes in a row of Team Plasma?
...m-my body isn't ready. I don't think it could ever be...
#43ViewtifulGenePosted 3/31/2013 1:20:21 PM
SmokedChili posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
SmokedChili posted...
Ari917 posted...
The thing is that we can't make any definite statements, even when being analytical you have to recognize that there's a chance that the opposite can happen (provided that the chance exists of course). That's why statements like "not for you to decide" have been said, saying things like "I don't see how it can bloody hell happen" sounds like writing off the possibility.

Yes, but when majority of people go around saying "This is so gonna HAPPENNNN!!!!1" without any freakin' way to prove it other than twisting (as in making it 100%-or-close-to-it true) given answers for their own convenience, it gets annoying to those who just don't see such likelihood and vice versa. And when someone tries to throw in a different perspective -- be it the opposing viewpoint or a third option -- it's likely going to be misinterpreted and bombared with ridiculous replies. My "bloody hell" comment may have the tone of writing off Ridley's chances, but what point does it have with me deciding anything about the game when a whole bunch of his fans are already almost-fully convinced of his playability and state it in the straightest way possible, or when there's all the talk about how the developers should do the game?

ViewtifulGene
There's no requirement to have him scrunched 100% of the time in a moveset. For example, he could extend his neck or an arm for standalone moves if needed to add attack variety. Another example could be extending his arms for grabs, then carrying his opponent in the same hunched position he had when carrying Samus or the baby Metroid in Super Metroid.

And I don't see what's so clunky about a design and fighting stance that references the way Ridley fought in one of his most-acclaimed appearances. If that's how he actually fights in his games, I don't see any problem in using it here.

I'd find it clunky because I'd also find it hilarious. Ridley, the Space Pirate commander and Samus' trauma switch, fighting in a scrunched position with extending neck and claws. He's supposed to be a terror, not some hunched lizard. It would bug me a LOT.

He always fights scrunched in the games. I don't see the goddamn problem in making him fight with the same posture he fought with in the games. And he can still look intimidating without being massive.

I'm specifically referring to his Super Metroid incarnation. Zero Mission actually shows him "standing" on his back feet and making him seem less "folded". Now that's what I would be okay with.

That could work too and Ridley basically kept the same moveset in every sprite-based game after Super Metroid. The point of the Super Metroid example was mainly for evidence that Ridley can still fight and look fine with a smaller tail and shorter wings, which are often brought up in claims that Ridley can't be resized. Not like he needs that model per se. It doesn't make a difference to me what his stance is as long as it somehow fits the games he appeared in
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#44Jack_the_monke7Posted 3/31/2013 3:05:56 PM
Wait a minute.... Ridley and Toad aren't all stars but Shulk and Saki are?? what??? a character from a very low selling, niche, japan only Nintendo 64 game is more of an all-star than the main villain from one of the longest running and most prominent nintendo series of all?
---
King Boo for Super Smash Bros.
Spread the word, show your support
#45Ari917Posted 3/31/2013 5:31:08 PM
SmokedChili posted...
Ari917 posted...

I've seen few say that he's a shoo-in nowadays and the ones that do are usually ignored. Ultimately none of us are 100% certain in saying he'll be in, but that doesn't mean we can't consider him to have a good chance of getting in regardless.
---
Official Wyvern Lord of the Awakening Board
#46l33t_iRk3n_Rm33Posted 3/31/2013 5:35:26 PM
SmokedChili posted...
Yes, but when majority of people go around saying "This is so gonna HAPPENNNN!!!!1" without any freakin' way to prove it

Yeesh. And I thought I was bad with my strawman arguments.
---
"I'm not sick of Nintendo making good games. Just like I'm not sick of pizza, sex, and Doctor Who." - BlackWizardMagus
http://i.imgur.com/QiEb7.jpg