Character Criteria

#1usaamahlinkPosted 4/2/2013 8:14:20 AM
Bonus: My recollection of Sakurai had 4 criteria that all characters must observe in order to be considered for being added:

1. The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.

This is infinitely harder than you and I think, because we are so jaded by our own perspective. I would insist that Viewtiful Joe would be the best character ever, but I'm not sure people would really want the game more. Neither of us would have ever thought of ROB, and yet "ROBOT" was the CROWD FAVORITE by FAR in the GDC matches the CAs had. Everyone loved him! We as gamers are way too biased to make this decision easily.

2. The character must be unique.

The character must have identifying features and abilities that would make them different from existing characters, so that they add something to the game.

3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

The character obviously has to be able to fit into the framework of how smash works, obviously <U>Pac-Man</U> and L Block would not work. (My examples, not his.)

4. They must contribute to the game balance.

Everyone has to fit together. Every new character must counter some characters and be countered by others, and they must fit in one giant contiguous mesh.

Obviously this doesnt prove anything... but still.
Im sticking with my opinion that pac-man wont be smelled anywhere near Smash Bros. Well just have to wait for E3/release (Im still sticking with my opinion that itll be announced tentatively for December 2013, to be delayed to March 2014 ;) lol)
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, The Last Story, Vandal Hearts, Fire Emblem (GBA), Xenoblade Chronicles, F-Zero GX. SSB Brawl <-(always)
#2Doug314Posted 4/2/2013 8:30:03 AM
I don't expect Pac-Man either but I still think he'd fit in at least if you've seen Pac-Man World. It's just that no one Nintendo would probably consider it to be to their benefit to get him as he has done so little for Nintendo.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB4
"I'm willing to bet money that Waluigi, Chrom and K. Rool are in this game" -DynasticAnthony
#3ViewtifulGenePosted 4/2/2013 8:40:12 AM(edited)
The problem with these criteria is we have no valid way of measuring them and assigning weights. Our perceptions of popularity or uniqueness don't match Sakurai's. Who does and doesn't fit in the game is not for us to decide. And we have no way of knowing how characters get chosen when two candidates have equal scores on the criteria but there's not room for both. Also, what would happen if Sakurai had to choose between a character who he sees as unique and popular but out of place, and a character who is less unique and popular, but fits better with what is already there? We don't know.

This all assumes no criteria were added, removed or re-weighted since then, too.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#4thebrawler56Posted 4/2/2013 8:44:26 AM
Lloyd Irving, at least in my opinion, is a better fit than Pac-Man.
---
OFFICIAL CAPTAIN FALCON OF THE SUPER SMASH BROS. U BOARD.
Wants to be an Official Pokemon of the X board, but don't know how.
#5ViewtifulGenePosted 4/2/2013 8:54:24 AM
Doug314 posted...
I don't expect Pac-Man either but I still think he'd fit in at least if you've seen Pac-Man World. It's just that no one Nintendo would probably consider it to be to their benefit to get him as he has done so little for Nintendo.

If it's about exclusivity, good luck finding any high-profile Namco characters that are exclusive.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
#6JangobadassPosted 4/2/2013 9:07:17 AM
Ironically, those are good reasons to use impossible characters like Shantae, Plok, and Marina Liteyears, among others...
#7ViewtifulGenePosted 4/2/2013 9:14:44 AM
Jangobadass posted...
Ironically, those are good reasons to use impossible characters like Shantae, Plok, and Marina Liteyears, among others...

Cheetahmen! They fit the cartoony art style of the game. They're popular in Japan. And they're plenty unique with their infinite jumps and their ability to outrun the game's camera.
---
#8albertojz356Posted 4/2/2013 9:41:05 AM
Jangobadass posted...

Shantae would be an amazing addition to the smash bros roster.
---
Pauline, Palutena, Medusa, Cptn. Syrup, Mike Jones, Andy, Lip, Eirika, Bayonetta, Mr. Peepers, Micaiah, Birdo, Anna, Lyn, & Shantae for SSB4!
#9Doug314Posted 4/2/2013 10:37:06 AM
Lloyd isn't a Nintendo exclusive but he's still more closely associated with Nintendo than Pac-Man and overall seems like a better fit than Pac-Man. And Lloyd is so ridiculously easy to make a moveset for even if you've barely played Tales of Symphonia.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB4
"I'm willing to bet money that Waluigi, Chrom and K. Rool are in this game" -DynasticAnthony
#10liveman789Posted 4/2/2013 10:48:44 AM
Doug314 posted...
Lloyd isn't a Nintendo exclusive but he's still more closely associated with Nintendo than Pac-Man and overall seems like a better fit than Pac-Man. And Lloyd is so ridiculously easy to make a moveset for even if you've barely played Tales of Symphonia.

PAC-MAN fits the criteria a lot better than Llyod. He's just another sword user (dual, and yeah he does a couple other things), and PAC-MAN has way more potential to have an interesting move set.