The problem with Fire Emblem Reps is that they are either obscure or use swords.

#1Suffer_NotPosted 4/10/2013 4:29:32 PM
Marth gets a pass because he's basically the Mario of Fire Emblem. He's shown up in a bunch of the games and he's fairly recognizable, even outside of Japan. But what about the other Lords?

Chrom? Sword.
Ike? Sword.
Micaiah? I'm under the impression Japan hates her or something, but either way she was only in one game so that counts as obscure.
Ephraim? Obscure.
Eliwood, Lyn, and Roy? Swords.
Hector? Acutally he showed up in 2 games, but his promotion has a sword, so I guess that's why he doesn't get any love.
The people who starred in games that half the world has never seen? Obscure.

I think we can all agree that this poses a game design problem when it comes to making a unique character. While I know some people would be totally okay with just playing as clones if it means more reps for Fire Emblem (I'm one of them), that's a lazy solution to a problem when a more creative one exists. If Lord Reps aren't unique, why not use a Rep that isn't a Lord?

Before anyone starts saying "Tharja's Boobs", let's recognize what we want. And before anyone says "Tharja's Boobs", allow me to clarify that statement as "What we are looking for in a Rep that will create a fun and interesting player experience". The character needs to be creative and needs to also represent the series. So a character that has been in more than one game and doesn't use swords would be a solid option for consideration. And there just so happens to be a character that has been in just as many games as Marth and yet doesn't use a sword...

And no it's not Anna, she uses a sword. I'm actually talking about Tiki.
http://images.wikia.com/fireemblem/images/9/9d/TikiKakusei.jpg

She's been in every game that Marth starred as the main Lord, and she was also in Awakening (the most recent game). She transforms into a dragon in order to fight, which is definitely not a sword, and she's as cute as a button. So why not her?

I don't really have a functional knowledge of Smash Brothers Game Balance (I just pick Kirby every game and roll with it), but I tried to come up with a sample move set to illustrate why I think she'd be a good character. Her major mechanic is that she can transform from her lighter Human body into a heavier, slower, but more damaging Dragon form. Holding down B starts charging a transform meter; tapping it fills the bar faster. You can stop charging at any point in time and the meter stays where it is until you complete the charge. Her strength would be chaining the attacks of her different forms together by completing a mostly filled bar mid combo in order to extend a juggle or deliver a heavier smash attack, while her weakness would be her need to position and prepare her more damaging combos to allow for her transformation.

We don't know how for sure many B combos would be available in the game, but regardless I'd give Tiki's human form a bunch of mobility moves (dashes, jump grabs, etc) to emphasis her strengths as a speed light class while her Dragon form would have heavier hitting but more telegraphed attacks, a fireball projectile to give her some sort of ranged options, and a glide (since she has wings).

And for everyone's favorite parts (I know ya'll don't care about move speculation, but thanks for humoring me anyway), her taunts would be her yawning before curling up and taking a brief nap, her pointing at a target before pointing down at the ground and shaking her head, and finally her pulling out her dragon stone and holding it forward with a wicked grin on her face.

Or maybe they could just make Hector a Rep. I'd be cool with that!
No?
Fine...

So let's discuss. Who else would be a good rep if we don't want anymore sword users or clones? For the record, I'm okay with the spoilerific option of having Lucina be a Marth skin.
#2_Super_Shadow_Posted 4/10/2013 4:32:29 PM
Lucina can be her own character.
not a Marth skin

She has trained directly under chrom, there are hundreds of different ways to use a sword.
look at how metaknight uses his,
or link?
we can find other ways to do so, and we have an overwhelming amount of other characters to make swords still exciting.
---
Lucina, Newtwo, Ridley, Tom Nook, Bowser Jr, Palutena, Megaman, Lloyd Irving for SSB4
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4320/ssb4roster.png
#3XxWontonxXPosted 4/10/2013 4:33:04 PM
Tharja's Boobs.

But seriously, I would love to have Tiki as an FE rep, to bad it has almost no chance of happening :/
---
Palutena, Micaiah, Shulk, Chrom, Female Pokemon Trainer, Roy, Ashley, Mona, and 6th Gen Pokemon for SSB4.
#4Suffer_Not(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2013 5:58:05 PM
Tharja's Boobs.

y u do dis to me. u wanna fite? i will fite u.

1v1 final desitnation >:(

But seriously, I would love to have Tiki as an FE rep, to bad it has almost no chance of happening :/

I swear that I will do everything within my power to make it a reality. Even if I have to learn how to make Flash Videos so that I can advertise the idea on Youtube or something else that would require crazy amounts of time and learning on my part.

Yeah, but I want Tiki more :<

I mean.

It makes better sense for gameplay diversity and overall character balance.
---
http://i.imgur.com/7Wah6.jpg
I'm actually incredibly overly passionate and...whats the word...viscous? - EltoniaX
#5ViewtifulGenePosted 4/10/2013 6:46:01 PM
Swords are not an inherent design problem. There's no proof that Sakurai has exhausted all possible, unique sword moveset ideas.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#6UberPyro64Posted 4/10/2013 6:55:19 PM
Marth and Chrom. That's how it will be. There is a chance for a third between Roy and Ike. But that's it.
---
My SSB4 Roster: http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/7451/april2013roster.png
#7_Super_Shadow_Posted 4/10/2013 6:58:19 PM

Suffer_Not posted...
Yeah, but I want Tiki more :<

I mean.

It makes better sense for gameplay diversity and overall character balance.

Just because you dont like the outcome, doesnt mean youre allowed to change the game.
Denying other people's chances just to increase the one who want is a bad game to play, youre just going to be fooling yourself.

I love tiki, and think it would be an awesome character, but come on man.
---
Lucina, Newtwo, Ridley, Tom Nook, Bowser Jr, Palutena, Megaman, Lloyd Irving for SSB4
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4320/ssb4roster.png
#8Skatz95Posted 4/10/2013 7:12:12 PM
FE reps needs more Pegasus Knights! Florina for SSB4!
---
MKWii fc: 4341-9153-2733
#9Blazekicker27Posted 4/10/2013 7:26:35 PM
Skatz95 posted...
FE reps needs more Pegasus Knights! Florina for SSB4!

I'd prefer Elincia.
---
Official Houndoom of the Pokemon XY boards.
http://i.imgur.com/rNgxY.png
#10sumwatweirdPosted 4/10/2013 7:36:13 PM
I'm thinking that there is no reason why My Unit couldn't be in the game. Think about it, all the skins could be actual possible custumizations for the avatar and the character has a plethora of skills used to creat various effects. He/she could use a sword and various tomes as well. The outcome would be a uniqu character from fire emblem that doesn't use counter!

His/her FS could be somthing related to grima or rally spectrum (summon some of our other favorite characters).