This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think they'll avoid giving each series more than 4 reps?

#31GreatJallopiPosted 4/12/2013 5:28:33 PM
_Super_Shadow_ posted...
Wario is a mario rep, just because he has a spin off series doesnt make it other wise.
same with yoshi, Donkey kong can some what be omitted, but the character is in every mario party, every mario kart, every sports title.

Brawl has technically 8 mario reps.
Zelda had five with sheik,
Pokemon had six

so no, I dont think we will.

If the character has its own logo that's not the Mario mushroom, it is representative of a different franchise.
---
We've got the right, 'cause they'll fight to use it. Got everything, and you can just choose it. I won't just be a puppet on a string.
OLD SIG GOT WIPED!
#32popsydoodlesPosted 4/12/2013 10:15:25 PM
The three pokemon dont really represent the pokemon trainer. Its more like the three pokemon AND pokemon trainer rep. the series
#33popsydoodlesPosted 4/12/2013 10:29:05 PM
Oh and GreatJallopi like your sig. Im not sure how accurate those lyrics are though
#34GreatJallopiPosted 4/13/2013 6:44:51 AM
popsydoodles posted...
Oh and GreatJallopi like your sig. Im not sure how accurate those lyrics are though

Thanks. And they are. All the lyric sites actually get it wrong. If you play the song in Rock Band on vocals, those are the lyrics you sing. And considering they had to go through a licensing agreement with The Strokes to use that song, I'd assume they got it right.
---
We've got the right, 'cause they'll fight to use it. Got everything, and you can just choose it. I won't just be a puppet on a string.
OLD SIG GOT WIPED!
#35Ari917Posted 4/13/2013 7:01:27 AM
CharizardFire posted...
That limit is arbitrary and was broken in Melee.

This

Also, it should be noted that Sakurai considers transformations as separate characters so Pokemon has 6 reps and Zelda has 5 reps, breaking the "limit" again in Brawl.
---
Official Wyvern Lord of the Awakening Board
#36LegendofLegaiaPosted 4/13/2013 7:05:33 AM
Ari917 posted...
CharizardFire posted...
That limit is arbitrary and was broken in Melee.

This

Also, it should be noted that Sakurai considers transformations as separate characters so Pokemon has 6 reps and Zelda has 5 reps, breaking the "limit" again in Brawl.

---
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it." - Kreia
#37ViewtifulGenePosted 4/13/2013 7:06:38 AM(edited)
Doug314 posted...
Dr. Mario was listed as a Dr. Mario character in melee. How did no one notice this? Thus the rule of 4 slots has yet to be broken.

So Sakurai can add as many characters from a franchise as he wants if he changes the icons? What the *** kind of a rule is that? Yoshi and Dr. Mario are clearly Mario characters even if they have different icons.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#38Kratos_Aurion75Posted 4/13/2013 7:31:52 AM
Yoshi gets his own icon because the Smash Yoshi is based largely off the then recent Yoshi Story that was released not long before the first Smash. Yoshi is obviously a "Mario" character, but the Smash Yoshi is not based around the Mario franchise directly. The same can be said about Wario and Warioware.

Yoshi hasn't had much in terms of his own games since then though and Wario has. That doesn't change the fact that Yoshi was based off his own game though.

So basically what I'm saying is: games are represented on a more individual basis in Smash rather than just the franchises as a whole. Zelda characters change their look each game to represent particular games. Pokemon Trainer was clearly a reference to Gen 1 Pokemon whereas Lucario was Gen 4.

I doubt Sakurai is as concerned about overall series representation as we are and focuses more on individual (and recent) games.
---
http://puu.sh/2gpqf
Wasting meter since '08
#39chadchu1Posted 4/15/2013 4:03:26 PM
sterlingtyger posted...
chadchu1 posted...
ecylis posted...
DoctorRice posted...
ecylis posted...
Yeah I'm really mad that this guy doesn't agree with me on the internet

Never underestimate a potato's ability to function as a brain.

I don't think I'm underestimating it at all because everybody on here is stubborn as hell and nobody can understand simple logic.

This is true. To claim 3 characters who have their own movesets, can each be picked from the character select, & can each be used without using another character's move aren't separate reps because they're somehow one rep for a guy who stands in the background doing nothing other than sending them out is a clear case of bending logic to avoid admitting they were wrong.

Would Mario, Luigi, & Yoshi be one rep if they worked the way Red's pokemon do & Peach sent 'em into the fight but didn't participate? No.

The difference being personality.
Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur aren't established characters like Mario, Luigi and Yoshi are, they're generic members of a species. It's a popular, well-known species, but... it's more akin to having a character called "pet owner" who stood in the background and had a Nintendog and a Nintencat and swapped between the two and except for the Down B and the Final Smash all the moves were different, would you say that this is two characters representing Nintendogs and Nintencats, or a single character representing the Nintendogs franchise?

I'd agree with you if Nintendogs & Nintencats weren't just standard dogs & cats that exist in real life (Aren't they?). It's similar to the difference between a prinny commanded by Etna from Disgaea & a soldier commanded by Parasoul from Skullgirls. One is an iconic species that has been shown to have varying personalities & has been playable in a lot of game while the other is a generic living thing you could find in real life.
---
"I'd rather die than go to heaven."-Murderface
#40SmallerRidleyPosted 4/15/2013 4:14:28 PM(edited)
DoctorRice posted...
ecylis posted...
DoctorRice posted...
ecylis posted...
Yeah I'm really mad that this guy doesn't agree with me on the internet

Never underestimate a potato's ability to function as a brain.

I don't think I'm underestimating it at all because everybody on here is stubborn as hell and nobody can understand simple logic.

Oh, the irony.

Both sides have their own way of thinking and both think the others are complete morons.

You're both idiots. Happy now?
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods