Should characters have alternate special attacks to choose from?

#1wiiking96Posted 4/13/2013 7:43:08 AM
*topic title* - Results (38 votes)
Yes
47.37% (18 votes)
No
36.84% (14 votes)
I don't care.
15.79% (6 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I think that giving every character a few alternate specials would help keep the game fresh while also not bothering old players who liked the original specials. Maybe some people like Mario FLUDD, and so it could be an option to use.

Additionally, I think giving players the ability to map the attacks to different B inputs would also be a nice feature.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#2Undead SaintPosted 4/13/2013 8:22:30 AM
I don't see anything wrong with this idea. Just as long as they streamline the process so that you can choose all the alternates just as fast as you'd choose, oh lets say, how the your assists would work in marvel vs capcom two.

That way as soon as you select yuor character, you can mash the A button if you want the default moveset or instead press buttons in a different sequence to get a mario that has his tornado move back and and alternate final smash (or something.)
---
Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.
What's up with the parentheses in random places?-Gamemaster1212
#3Luigi playerPosted 4/13/2013 8:23:02 AM
Could create a lot of variety... there should just not be broken ones.
---
I'm a the Luigi master!
www.freewebs.com/luigi_player/
#4OnePieceFanPosted 4/13/2013 10:33:41 AM
Sure. There was something similar in place in Tales of Symphonia, and it seems like that idea would work well in Smash - for example, it would make it so Ganondorf's moveset could remain the same for those who are used to playing with that, while also giving the option for it to be changed to incorporate anything from Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and any of his Ganon boss fights.
---
http://s8.zetaboards.com/One_Piece_MUGEN/index/ - One Piece: Grand Line Bout (fangame covering the whole series as of now)
#5gamedude2009Posted 4/13/2013 12:20:07 PM
YES. I've been saying this forever. I just think it's really stupid that characters, in their respective series, have dozens of abilities that they can use, but in Smash, they can only use up to a few. For example, Link, in the Zelda series, can use sword beam, peril beam, hurricane spin, jump strike, mortal draw, helm splitter, back slice, rolling stab, & finishing blow. Those are just his sword skills. He also has dozens of items and magic spells.

Mario, Samus, & lots of others have a lot of things they could do, but they're limited to only a few moves. As a crossover series that represents very large, popular games, it needs to represent these characters better, imo.

Of course, they moves need to be balanced, and too many moves could make a character completely different from its original design, and also too similar to another character, therefore making the character itself not unique, I think. There are still grabs, A attacks, special attributes such as Lucario's damage thing, and stats such as size, speed, weight, etc., but I don't think that would be enough. But that's just me.

There are other ways to give characters more special moves, but nobody wants long combos and stuff in Smash, and neither do I.

More differences for characters could be in other threads, I guess. :p
---
---
Toad, Little Mac, Ridley, Mallo, Andross, Master Hand, Impa, Fawful, & Giygas for Smash. And Vectorman, fool.
#6taoxadasaPosted 4/13/2013 12:40:04 PM
They should just add a new attack button...
---
Robbit (Jumping Flash!) for Playstation All-Stars!
#7_Super_Shadow_Posted 4/13/2013 1:02:16 PM
I originally thought about this, very much like the tales series.

But I dont think people realistically look at this idea.
If balancing out all characters is as hard as sakuria has already stated. imagine trying to balance out not just one moveset with 45 others, But now Multiple combinations of movesets with those characters. Would having one move with another completely add a spike in power?

Not to mention how I feel this would completely ruin the pick up and anyone can play nature of this game.
its supposed to be simple, now imagine you and your friends trying to set up before another match, going through a selection of moves with each character, how each player prefers it.

it would turn it into a fighting game more like street fighter or tekken, Not to mention completely alienate the players who arent as familiar with the franchise.

its a cool idea, but not for smash bros.
---
Lucina, Newtwo, Ridley, Tom Nook, Bowser Jr, Palutena, Megaman, Lloyd Irving for SSB4
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4320/ssb4roster.png
#8StreetPasWantrPosted 4/13/2013 1:05:16 PM
_Super_Shadow_ posted...
I originally thought about this, very much like the tales series.

But I dont think people realistically look at this idea.
If balancing out all characters is as hard as sakuria has already stated. imagine trying to balance out not just one moveset with 45 others, But now Multiple combinations of movesets with those characters. Would having one move with another completely add a spike in power?

Not to mention how I feel this would completely ruin the pick up and anyone can play nature of this game.
its supposed to be simple, now imagine you and your friends trying to set up before another match, going through a selection of moves with each character, how each player prefers it.

it would turn it into a fighting game more like street fighter or tekken, Not to mention completely alienate the players who arent as familiar with the franchise.

its a cool idea, but not for smash bros.

---
"I love equipping Vaike with ladles." Now re-read that sentence.
Nintendo E3 2013 Countdown: http://tinyurl.com/NintyE32013
#9LegendofLegaiaPosted 4/13/2013 1:08:30 PM
A few alternate specials for some characters that it makes sense for would be nice (like Mario, Link, Samus, etc.), but it shouldn't be excessive.

Also, people need to stop acting as if B-movesets are the entire moveset for characters when it's only about 1/5th or 1/4th of it in reality.
---
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it." - Kreia
#10gamedude2009Posted 4/13/2013 1:12:19 PM
@_Super_Shadow_ That's exactly what I'm worried about, too. I personally have no idea how to make it fit in Smash, although I think Smash is probably the game that needs it most.

Maybe there could be different sets, like for Mario, a Galaxy set, with launch stars and star bits, or a Paper set, with being able to fold into a paper plane or something. That might simplify it a bit. I don't know, but I would love to see more special moves somehow, without running into the problems you mentioned.
---
---
Toad, Little Mac, Ridley, Mallo, Andross, Master Hand, Impa, Fawful, & Giygas for Smash. And Vectorman, fool.