Let's consider how unique new swordsman reps can be

#11CrystalKing5426Posted 4/14/2013 8:08:58 PM
iKhanic posted...
sterlingtyger posted...
But there's 6 sword users in Brawl.
Link, Toon Link, Pit, Ike, Marth and Metaknight.

Is what Pit uses a sword?

It has two forms. One can be likened to twin daggers (think Fiora or Voldo). The combined form cannot really be compared to any real life weapon. The closest would be a Quarterstaff, but even that's a stretch.
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4014/5138578909_05b321131a_z.jpg
#12ViewtifulGenePosted 4/14/2013 8:11:51 PM
Samurai Goroh could be pretty unique considering his style as an Assist trophy was more wild than any of the current swordsmen in Brawl. Also, he carries his katana with a scabbard so any techniques that involve drawing the sword would be fair game for him. I could also picture him whacking people with the scabbard since he seems like an anything-goes kinda guy. Yes, a lot of his moves could be done by literally anyone who uses an eastern-style sword. Regardless, I don't think a more traditional samurai-type character being made playable would step on Goroh's toes too much, since Goroh isn't really traditional. And for whatever it's worth his body type is quite different from all the other sword-using candidates.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#13wiiking96Posted 4/14/2013 8:13:35 PM
What if a character controlled a sword telepathically? That could lead to some interesting moves.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#14iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 8:29:10 PM
CrystalKing5426 posted...
Lloyd- Lloyd's fighting style can be extremely different from current reps because he fights using two swords.

Uh, so does Ghirahim. And WW Ganondorf (He has a shot since WWHD will be the most relevant Zelda game during SSB4's development.) Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention Shulk given how much you love Xenoblade.

I meant how the characters can be unique from other characters on the roster right now. Of course twin sword fighting isn't unique in general.

As for Shulk. I want him in the roster because I love Xenoblade. But surprisingly, I don't like Shulk that much. I though his character was pretty poorly fleshed out. If I could have everything my way in smash, I'd include Riki instead.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#15gamedude2009Posted 4/20/2013 10:57:35 PM
I know he's not a popular choice, but Sakura Samurai could be very unique. He would, of course, fight with a katana, along with daggers, cherry blossoms, and frogs.

But maybe if you play more precise with him (dodge better, don't miss, etc.) he could become stronger and stronger, to reflect the Precision Points and the combat in Art of the Sword.
---
Toad, Little Mac, Ridley, Mallo, Master Hand for SSB. +Vectorman
I'm a nice guy, just don't use your stupidity as a weapon, or I will counter with my Bolo Gun.
#16gamedude2009Posted 4/20/2013 11:01:30 PM
Sorry to bump. And double post. T_T
---
Toad, Little Mac, Ridley, Mallo, Master Hand for SSB. +Vectorman
I'm a nice guy, just don't use your stupidity as a weapon, or I will counter with my Bolo Gun.
#17victinivcreate1Posted 4/20/2013 11:10:57 PM
iKhanic posted...

Lets look at the niche the swordsmen we want can have in the game

- Ghirahim has the benefit of having multiple potential sets due to his different fighting tactics. To be honest though, most of his single sword moveset would be extremely similar to Marth or Ike given his in-game attacks. However, he can be unique if they give him the option of multiple movesets. Possibly one with a sword and one without that he can switch between using Down B. Another option is to make a considerable amount of his moveset magic based, as we don't have a magic swordsman rep yet.

Ghirahims abilities include
Red versions of skyward strike
Zweihander
That crazy flip with the purple energy
Mixed martial arts
Diamond knives
Rush down slash attacks
Counters
Catches swords (or any weapon). Between 2 fingers
Dual blade swords
A rapier
His version of the fatal blow.

Ghirahim can be very unique if done well. Look up my rate my moveset ofGhirahim.
---
Genesect, Mewtwo, Ridley, Shulk, Palutena, Megaman, Isaac, Saki, Toad, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Roy, Little Mac, Megaman, and DLC for SSB4
#18Someguy_13Posted 4/21/2013 2:34:18 AM
Isaac would be unique since all his special moves could be his Earth Psyenergy.
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#19Doug314Posted 4/21/2013 4:24:06 AM
Lloyd and Isaac would both be unique since Lloyd has 2 swords and can use Demon Fang, Tempest, sword rain, tiger blade, falcon's crest, and beast. Isaac would have psynergy, djinn, and summons. He doesn't even attack with his sword much in GS. I think these 2 would make good new sword users, and perhaps maybe Shulk along with them, but I really hope we don't get too many other sword users. Ones like Chrom or Lucina would really not bring many things to the table IMO. They could be stretched into being unique but the others still have a lot more potential.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB4
"I'm willing to bet money that Waluigi, Chrom and K. Rool are in this game" -DynasticAnthony