This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you treat smash bros as a party game or a fighting game

#21Someguy_13Posted 4/18/2013 1:09:31 PM(edited)
I treat it as a fighting game, but play it with however many people are there in a Free For all, with no items.

Where's my option?
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#22hyperknees91Posted 4/18/2013 1:17:50 PM
It's a party fighter.

Though unlike power stone 2 I guess it does have some more complex elements that let you treat it as a normal 1v1 fighter and have fun (Though in return it's probably a much worse party game).
---
PSN tag hyperknees
#23Doug314Posted 4/18/2013 2:34:05 PM
It's both. 4-player chaos where everyone's still fighting and trying to win.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB4
"I'm willing to bet money that Waluigi, Chrom and K. Rool are in this game" -DynasticAnthony
#24SmallerRidleyPosted 4/18/2013 2:36:54 PM
All 3 at the same time.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#25GigaraverPosted 4/18/2013 2:51:03 PM(edited)
Fighting game. Or Fighting/Platformer game, though I prefer the former.

It is not a party game. Randomness and being 4 player does not constitute being part of the party genre. Party genre generally rely on a collection of varying and unrelated mechanics and dynamics. Smash's mechanics and dynamics have little variation and plenty of correlation.

As for an "objective", I could consider a party game's objective to be to produce a winner and loser by any means necessary while promoting social interaction. The difference between this and other games is that the means to producing a winner and loser can be considered almost arbitrary. More often than not, the desired effect of such a process is to promote social activity among the players. If anything, party games intentionally lack immersion and are fully aware that they are games.

Smash can promote social interaction, but the way it produces a winner and loser is anything but arbitrary. Additionally, Smash can demand intense focus from the player, so immersion is very likely.

---
Gamertag - The Hyperdon --- {Now Playing: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3}
Nintendo 3DS FC - [3394 - 3563 - 6616]
#26Jack_the_monke7Posted 4/18/2013 2:54:30 PM
Uh I play it as a 4 player free-for-all fighting game with no items.
---
King Boo for Super Smash Bros.
Spread the word, show your support
#27GigaraverPosted 4/18/2013 4:15:58 PM
Jack_the_monke7 posted...
Uh I play it as a 4 player free-for-all fighting game with no items.

Also this. Forgot to mention that. I'll play it in anyway that's fun.
---
Gamertag - The Hyperdon --- {Now Playing: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3}
Nintendo 3DS FC - [3394 - 3563 - 6616]
#28DragonwarriordudePosted 4/18/2013 8:04:47 PM
It's a fighting game
---
Sig.
#29Cell JuniorPosted 4/18/2013 8:50:09 PM
I am a casual player. I usually leave all items on when playing with my friends. But sometimes I like to have no items and final destination or battlefield. :p
---
The Official Lip of the Smash Bros. Wii U Board; Smash Bros. needs more puzzle reps and cute: Lip and Toad for Smash 4