There can still be more than 35 characters.

#11HejiruPosted 4/21/2013 6:16:03 AM
UberPyro64 posted...
45, 50 with transformations is what we should expect.

Only if you want to be disappointed. Based on Sakurai's comments, we shouldn't expect more than 37 or 38 tops.
He said they've already reached the limit, quantity-wise. How do you read that and still expect 45 characters?
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#12ShurikonoPosted 4/21/2013 6:46:29 AM
Hejiru posted...
UberPyro64 posted...

Only if you want to be disappointed. Based on Sakurai's comments, we shouldn't expect more than 37 or 38 tops.
He said they've already reached the limit, quantity-wise. How do you read that and still expect 45 characters?

Why make a sequel if we barely get any new characters?
By that logic, we should expect a great amount of cuts for replacements.
I personally am expecting 45 slots max, this excludes transformations, obviously. If the whole Brawl cast returns, that leaves room for 10 newcomers on the screen.

Let's put it this way, if there would only be 3-4 newcomers, how will they reveal the game at E3 this year without spoiling too much content of the game and still hype us? Will they just show veterans with one new third party? I just can't see this as a plausible reveal. I expect at least 2 newcomers during E3.
---
Currently playing: Bioshock Infinite, Worms Armageddon
PSN: SuB-Bastion
#13UberPyro64Posted 4/21/2013 6:54:56 AM
Hejiru posted...
UberPyro64 posted...

He said 50 was max and he counts transformations separetly. So Brawl had 39. It would only make sense if around 10-13 newcomers were added. I'm of course willing to bet that Ike and Lucario will be cut but that's just me.
---
My SSB4 Roster: http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5691/april20132roster.png
#14HejiruPosted 4/21/2013 7:25:52 AM
Shurikono posted...
Why make a sequel if we barely get any new characters?
By that logic, we should expect a great amount of cuts for replacements.
I personally am expecting 45 slots max, this excludes transformations, obviously. If the whole Brawl cast returns, that leaves room for 10 newcomers on the screen.

Let's put it this way, if there would only be 3-4 newcomers, how will they reveal the game at E3 this year without spoiling too much content of the game and still hype us? Will they just show veterans with one new third party? I just can't see this as a plausible reveal. I expect at least 2 newcomers during E3.

This is what Sakurai was talking about. He doesn't want to just release a new game that's the same but with more characters. He wants a "change of direction." This game is about balancing the roster and improving the gameplay, not adding more characters. Sure we'll get some newcomers, but not as many as people are expecting. Sakurai said flat-out that they'd reached the limit. So unless he changes his mind or something, every two or so newcomers will come at the cost of a cut veteran.

For reference, here's what he said:
“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”

UberPyro64 posted...
He said 50 was max and he counts transformations separetly. So Brawl had 39. It would only make sense if around 10-13 newcomers were added. I'm of course willing to bet that Ike and Lucario will be cut but that's just me.

When did he say 50 was max? He speicifically called out "50" in a negative way. It's for that reason I don't think we'll have 50 characters or even 45.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy