This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do some people hate Takamaru?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Why do some people hate Takamaru?

User Info: gamedude2009

gamedude2009
3 years ago#1
I've noticed there's a decent amount of people that really do not like him. Why is that?

Personally, I'm pretty indifferent.
Toad, Little Mac, Ridley, Mallo, Master Hand for SSB. +Vectorman
I'm a nice guy, just don't use your stupidity as a weapon, or I will counter with my Bolo Gun.

User Info: SalsaSavant

SalsaSavant
3 years ago#2
I have yet to see anything too passionate, at least on this board.

But I think most people who dislike him dislike him because he's a JP exclusive character who only got one game, as well as a sword user.
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound is coming to the US.

User Info: Modus_Pwnens

Modus_Pwnens
3 years ago#3
SalsaSavant posted...
I have yet to see anything too passionate, at least on this board.

But I think most people who dislike him dislike him because he's a JP exclusive character who only got one game, as well as a sword user.

Pretty much this. I could see some people groaning at his inclusion because he's a tad generic and obscure.

User Info: albertojz356

albertojz356
3 years ago#4
Hate is a strong word so not that but I definitely don't support him.
Pauline, Palutena, Bayonetta, Cptn. Syrup, Eirika, Micaiah, Anna, Lyn, Lucina, Shantae, Lip, Andy, Medusa, Birdo, & Mike Jones for SSB4!

User Info: Jangobadass

Jangobadass
3 years ago#5
SalsaSavant posted...

This, though "hate" may be too strong a word.

User Info: MrSpacelySlate

MrSpacelySlate
3 years ago#6
albertojz356 posted...
Hate is a strong word so not that but I definitely don't support him.

Pretty much. He would feel redundant in Smash Bros.

gamedude2009
3 years ago#7
Yeah, for most "hate" would be kinda strong. But I've seen some... adamant people. Yes, adamant. :p

Thanks for the info. ;)
I'm a nice guy, just don't use your stupidity as a weapon, or I will counter with my Bolo Gun.

User Info: Elec Man EXE

Elec Man EXE
3 years ago#8
I don't "hate" him, but he's one of the oft-discussed characters I really don't care for and find quite boring. There are a few reasons for it.

He's a 1-off character from an obscure Japanese-only game. Even characters like Ness or Marth / Roy had huge followings in Japan. FE and Mother have lots of popularity in Japan. Takamaru, though? Not at all. He's got a small cult following at best, kind of like Mike Jones does here in the US.

He's a guy with a sword and tools. Essentially he's samurai Link (which I believe is what his game is too, pretty much samurai LoZ). While I'm sure they could give him his own moveset (certainly not implying he'd be a clone) thats just not a whole lot of potential for a fun and unique moveset, unless you just adore the samurai fighting style and can't live without it appearing in Smash. Needless to say I don't.

Kind of on the same general thought train, he's pretty generic. He's a typical samurai with a typical samurai / ninja arsenal and a typical samurai appearence. I assume he probably has a typical samurai personality too, but that hardly matters in a fighting game anyway. In a game populated by fireball throwing plumbers, a shapeshifting pink blob, anthromorphic animals who pilot starships, a 2D sprite, and an electrically imbued rodent, and where potential newcomers include a steel-plated canon-wielding insect, a giant deformed crocodile king, a fire breathing dragon who's also a space pirate, and a guy who can see the future using his magic laser sword... "a samurai" just isn't very exciting.

The reason most people seem to talk about him all of a sudden is Nintendoland. 1 mini-game in a mini-game compilation title, and suddenly everyone has the guy on their top 10 most likely lists. Is 1 mini-game really enough to suddenly skyrocket him to shoo-in status? I don't think so.
~ Master of Electricity ~
Electro: 0518-6613-7620 - Pokemon White

gamedude2009
3 years ago#9
Elec Man EXE posted...

Kind of on the same general thought train, he's pretty generic. He's a typical samurai with a typical samurai / ninja arsenal and a typical samurai appearence. I assume he probably has a typical samurai personality too, but that hardly matters in a fighting game anyway. In a game populated by fireball throwing plumbers, a shapeshifting pink blob, anthromorphic animals who pilot starships, a 2D sprite, and an electrically imbued rodent, and where potential newcomers include a steel-plated canon-wielding insect, a giant deformed crocodile king, a fire breathing dragon who's also a space pirate, and a guy who can see the future using his magic laser sword... "a samurai" just isn't very exciting.

The reason most people seem to talk about him all of a sudden is Nintendoland. 1 mini-game in a mini-game compilation title, and suddenly everyone has the guy on their top 10 most likely lists. Is 1 mini-game really enough to suddenly skyrocket him to shoo-in status? I don't think so.

I pretty much agree. I know NL is what made him popular, but yeah, that doesn't make him all that likely. Maybe an assist or something, but not a fighter.

Really, if they revive his series successfully (which I think it has a lot of potential), then even if he is a generic character, I'd still like him in.

User Info: SalsaSavant

SalsaSavant
3 years ago#10
Elec Man EXE posted...

This may be incorrect, but I believe Sakurai once said that if Takamaru ever got a new game, he would put him in.

He still hasn't gotten a new game, but Nintendoland and his appearance in that one fighting game help him a bit.

People are expecting a Pit style revival. You know how Nintendo focused on ROB for a bit before Brawl, and Pit for a while after? People are thinking Nintendo is gearing up for a Takamaru revival as well.
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound is coming to the US.
  1. Boards
  2. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  3. Why do some people hate Takamaru?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived