This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do some people hate Takamaru?

#1gamedude2009Posted 4/21/2013 12:39:58 PM
I've noticed there's a decent amount of people that really do not like him. Why is that?

Personally, I'm pretty indifferent.
---
Toad, Little Mac, Ridley, Mallo, Master Hand for SSB. +Vectorman
I'm a nice guy, just don't use your stupidity as a weapon, or I will counter with my Bolo Gun.
#2SalsaSavantPosted 4/21/2013 12:55:21 PM
I have yet to see anything too passionate, at least on this board.

But I think most people who dislike him dislike him because he's a JP exclusive character who only got one game, as well as a sword user.
---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound is coming to the US.
#3Modus_PwnensPosted 4/21/2013 1:00:01 PM
SalsaSavant posted...
I have yet to see anything too passionate, at least on this board.

But I think most people who dislike him dislike him because he's a JP exclusive character who only got one game, as well as a sword user.

Pretty much this. I could see some people groaning at his inclusion because he's a tad generic and obscure.
#4albertojz356Posted 4/21/2013 1:00:45 PM
Hate is a strong word so not that but I definitely don't support him.
---
Pauline, Palutena, Bayonetta, Cptn. Syrup, Eirika, Micaiah, Anna, Lyn, Lucina, Shantae, Lip, Andy, Medusa, Birdo, & Mike Jones for SSB4!
#5JangobadassPosted 4/21/2013 1:03:51 PM
SalsaSavant posted...

This, though "hate" may be too strong a word.
#6MrSpacelySlatePosted 4/21/2013 1:10:26 PM
albertojz356 posted...
Hate is a strong word so not that but I definitely don't support him.

Pretty much. He would feel redundant in Smash Bros.
#7gamedude2009(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 2:01:16 PM
Yeah, for most "hate" would be kinda strong. But I've seen some... adamant people. Yes, adamant. :p

Thanks for the info. ;)
---
I'm a nice guy, just don't use your stupidity as a weapon, or I will counter with my Bolo Gun.
#8Elec Man EXEPosted 4/21/2013 2:29:48 PM
I don't "hate" him, but he's one of the oft-discussed characters I really don't care for and find quite boring. There are a few reasons for it.

He's a 1-off character from an obscure Japanese-only game. Even characters like Ness or Marth / Roy had huge followings in Japan. FE and Mother have lots of popularity in Japan. Takamaru, though? Not at all. He's got a small cult following at best, kind of like Mike Jones does here in the US.

He's a guy with a sword and tools. Essentially he's samurai Link (which I believe is what his game is too, pretty much samurai LoZ). While I'm sure they could give him his own moveset (certainly not implying he'd be a clone) thats just not a whole lot of potential for a fun and unique moveset, unless you just adore the samurai fighting style and can't live without it appearing in Smash. Needless to say I don't.

Kind of on the same general thought train, he's pretty generic. He's a typical samurai with a typical samurai / ninja arsenal and a typical samurai appearence. I assume he probably has a typical samurai personality too, but that hardly matters in a fighting game anyway. In a game populated by fireball throwing plumbers, a shapeshifting pink blob, anthromorphic animals who pilot starships, a 2D sprite, and an electrically imbued rodent, and where potential newcomers include a steel-plated canon-wielding insect, a giant deformed crocodile king, a fire breathing dragon who's also a space pirate, and a guy who can see the future using his magic laser sword... "a samurai" just isn't very exciting.

The reason most people seem to talk about him all of a sudden is Nintendoland. 1 mini-game in a mini-game compilation title, and suddenly everyone has the guy on their top 10 most likely lists. Is 1 mini-game really enough to suddenly skyrocket him to shoo-in status? I don't think so.
---
~ Master of Electricity ~
Electro: 0518-6613-7620 - Pokemon White
#9gamedude2009(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2013 2:39:02 PM
Elec Man EXE posted...

Kind of on the same general thought train, he's pretty generic. He's a typical samurai with a typical samurai / ninja arsenal and a typical samurai appearence. I assume he probably has a typical samurai personality too, but that hardly matters in a fighting game anyway. In a game populated by fireball throwing plumbers, a shapeshifting pink blob, anthromorphic animals who pilot starships, a 2D sprite, and an electrically imbued rodent, and where potential newcomers include a steel-plated canon-wielding insect, a giant deformed crocodile king, a fire breathing dragon who's also a space pirate, and a guy who can see the future using his magic laser sword... "a samurai" just isn't very exciting.

The reason most people seem to talk about him all of a sudden is Nintendoland. 1 mini-game in a mini-game compilation title, and suddenly everyone has the guy on their top 10 most likely lists. Is 1 mini-game really enough to suddenly skyrocket him to shoo-in status? I don't think so.

I pretty much agree. I know NL is what made him popular, but yeah, that doesn't make him all that likely. Maybe an assist or something, but not a fighter.

Really, if they revive his series successfully (which I think it has a lot of potential), then even if he is a generic character, I'd still like him in.
---
#10SalsaSavantPosted 4/21/2013 2:44:13 PM
Elec Man EXE posted...

This may be incorrect, but I believe Sakurai once said that if Takamaru ever got a new game, he would put him in.

He still hasn't gotten a new game, but Nintendoland and his appearance in that one fighting game help him a bit.

People are expecting a Pit style revival. You know how Nintendo focused on ROB for a bit before Brawl, and Pit for a while after? People are thinking Nintendo is gearing up for a Takamaru revival as well.
---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound is coming to the US.