This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I know Mewtwo is technically gender less but..,,.,

#1AlexAdzPosted 4/22/2013 1:09:55 AM
If mewtwo is in, and Reiko Takashma voices it in Japanese , and a female voice actress voices it in the English version, will Sakurai count, and fans count Mewtwo as a female character?
#2Doug314Posted 4/22/2013 1:17:07 AM
No.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB4
"I'm willing to bet money that Waluigi, Chrom and K. Rool are in this game" -DynasticAnthony
#3RanzEDGEPosted 4/22/2013 1:17:26 AM
Maybe i mean people to this day argue over jiggs gender though i think shes female the hats and stuff kinda give it away people even had the nerve to call Lucario female untill the game slipped up and called him male. So i wouldnt put it past people to call mewtwo female.
---
VV-Double team is OP-VV
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc87/lugiaXDTrainer/Lucario/lucariosig.gif
#4xyzlacticPosted 4/22/2013 1:18:52 AM
AlexAdz posted...
If mewtwo is in, and Reiko Takashma voices it in Japanese , and a female voice actress voices it in the English version, will Sakurai count, and fans count Mewtwo as a female character?

Technically yes. Lucario is treated as male because he has a male voice actor. If mewtwos is a female actor then yes it would be treated as female :)
---
Homosexual Hipster of Smash Bros and Pokemon X and Y boards. G.A.Y = Good At Yugioh
#5Big_IsaacPosted 4/22/2013 1:22:34 AM
technically speaking every pokemon should ba called "it" unless otherwise stated. thing is, though, Mewtwo's voice was clearly male in the first movie, so it's fair to call it a male (even though he is technically genderless)

IIRC there is a way to respectfully refer to someone without specifying the gender in Japanese, which is why genderless pokemon aren't a problem over there. in English and many many other languages, this isn't the case, so we usually have to assign genders to even the genderless pokemon to avoid awkwardness
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#6Pikmin3000Posted 4/22/2013 4:57:51 AM
xyzlactic posted...
AlexAdz posted...

Technically yes. Lucario is treated as male because he has a male voice actor. If mewtwos is a female actor then yes it would be treated as female :)

Pikachu is voiced by a female, yet is often referred to as a he.
---
Expecting a witty signature?
TOO BAD, WALUIGI TIME!
#7ViewtifulGenePosted 4/22/2013 5:29:00 AM(edited)
Depends on how the voice sounds. It is isn't unusual for a female voice actor to give a character a masculine voice. For example, Goku's Japanese voice actor is a woman even when the character is depicted as a grown man.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#8alpha-apePosted 4/22/2013 5:29:42 AM
I'll still call it an it, because it is genderless.
---
Official Jigglypuff of the Super Smash Bros. Wii U boards
#9Tails 64Posted 4/22/2013 5:49:29 AM
Pikmin3000 posted...
xyzlactic posted...
AlexAdz posted...

Pikachu is voiced by a female, yet is often referred to as a he.

It's actually a common practice for female voice actors to voice male characters, especially if they sound young. Spike of My Little Pony has a female voice actress, and most of the Rugrats had female voice actresses. So I think the gender of the voice actor is irrelevant.

And, by the way, Pikachu is definitely a he in the anime: you can tell by its tail.

I think people will just refer to Mewtwo as a he though it's technically an it because of its deep voice and tough-looking appearance. Those characteristics are usually attributed to males.
---
Bronies are people too.
tinyurl.com/MyTopTenList - Top 10 Video Game Pets
#10CrystalKing5426Posted 4/22/2013 6:04:18 AM
The gender of the VA is not indicative of the gender of the character they are portraying. Also, the anime is non-canon as thus would not reflective of the actual games. Mewtwo may be (or at least seem) male in the movie, but in the games he is officially genderless. For Jigglypuff, the species has a gender ratio of 25% male, 75% female. Odds are, the one in Smash is female.
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
Evil King of the Zelda Wii U Board