This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should Super Smash Bros. Wii U have Meter and Super Attacks?

#1DarkKirby2500Posted 4/22/2013 8:53:55 AM(edited)
Should Super Smash Bros. Wii U have Meter and Super Attacks? - Results (75 votes)
Yes.
29.33% (22 votes)
No.
70.67% (53 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Essentially, a way to have super attacks without Smash Balls.

An example of the situation would be 1 weaker super for spending 1 meter and a better super for 3 meters. This is just an example of course.

It would make the game more complex, give you more things to think about, more options in the fight, and in turn, be more fun.

There are a lot of things to consider of course, how much meter is gained or lost though doing damage and taking damage, what effect does losing stock have on your meter, etc.

I would note for people who think adding meter would "ruin the game", it didn't make other fighting games that added meter, like Street Fighter, worse. Most would agree it was an improvement. Even if it seems like a big change, it doesn't mean the game is too different or worse off because of it.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#2ViewtifulGenePosted 4/22/2013 8:58:10 AM
I would like to see a way to use FSes without Smash Balls. It wouldn't necessarily have to be meter-based. For example, there could be an option to stock a number of FSes at the start of a match, just like lives.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#3gamedude2009Posted 4/22/2013 8:59:28 AM
One of the best things about Smash is the very unique gameplay. It has very unique mechanics that are not really seen in other fighting games. Having a Super Meter of some sort would automatically make it more like other fighting games, and it would lose a little uniqueness.

Ironically, something like that would possibly work even better in Smash than most other fighting games.

I don't know. But it seems like Smash Balls are not the ideal method for earning a Final Smash.
---
Toad, Little Mac, Ridley, Mallo, Master Hand for SSB. +Vectorman
I'm a nice guy, just don't use your stupidity as a weapon, or I will counter with my Bolo Gun.
#4gamedude2009Posted 4/22/2013 9:07:58 AM
ViewtifulGene posted...
there could be an option to stock a number of FSes at the start of a match, just like lives.

I like that idea. Interesting.
---
Toad, Little Mac, Ridley, Mallo, Master Hand for SSB. +Vectorman
I'm a nice guy, just don't use your stupidity as a weapon, or I will counter with my Bolo Gun.
#5DarkKirby2500(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 9:17:17 AM
ViewtifulGene posted...
I would like to see a way to use FSes without Smash Balls. It wouldn't necessarily have to be meter-based. For example, there could be an option to stock a number of FSes at the start of a match, just like lives.

There would have to be some kind of built in rule of how many Final Smashes you get per stock or how long the match is (if timed).

If it's completely left to the player to decide there will undoubtedly be arguments on which is the correct number, and more likely most people will just turn it off completely in competitive matches like items. In addition, it will give the developers an excuse to have the Final Smashes horribly imbalanced like they are now because you could "just turn it off".
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#6VictoryBadguyPosted 4/22/2013 9:19:06 AM
I love traditional fighting games, but at the same time I've got a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset when it comes to Smash. The series' core gameplay is great and I'd hate for them to muck it up with a poorly implemented meter system. It'd be great if it worked, but I'm not sure I'd want the devs to risk it.
---
Eternally waiting for that SG 360 patch...
#7DarkKirby2500(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 9:29:12 AM
VictoryBadguy posted...
I love traditional fighting games, but at the same time I've got a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset when it comes to Smash. The series' core gameplay is great and I'd hate for them to muck it up with a poorly implemented meter system. It'd be great if it worked, but I'm not sure I'd want the devs to risk it.

Well, many would agree a lot of the system changes like the overall slower, floatier game, and tripping, in Brawl, already made the game worse compared to Melee. You don't need to add new gameplay elements to risk making the game worse.
---
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#8PlasmaCannonPosted 4/22/2013 9:53:51 AM
Keep that crap in traditional fighting games and away from Smash.
---
Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember her, you are not alone.
#9Doug314Posted 4/22/2013 9:56:24 AM
Smash is not how other games are. This is part of how lots of other games are.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB4
"I'm willing to bet money that Waluigi, Chrom and K. Rool are in this game" -DynasticAnthony
#10DarkKirby2500(Topic Creator)Posted 4/22/2013 10:55:44 AM
Saying having a meter system will ruin Smash by taking away it's uniqueness because it is copying other games is like saying the Paper Mario series and Mario RPG games in general were worse off by having HP and MP (or any derivative of the technique point) and Sticker Star and Partners in time was superior by not using it and being unique.

Most Mario RPGs employ the HP and MP system but few will say Mario RPGs are just a cookie cutter copy of other turn based RPGs because it is plenty unique despite using that system. Smash won't lose it's uniqueness by adding more mechanics that happens to have variations in other fighters.
---
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>