Should Super Smash Bros. Wii U have Meter and Super Attacks?

#11Grammar_manPosted 4/22/2013 12:07:01 PM
Meter>given for losing/lucky spawn FS.
#12ImGanondorfLolPosted 4/22/2013 1:15:00 PM(edited)
Heck no, nearly every fighting game has a super meter nowadays and I'm sick of it. This isn't a matter of uniqueness, I just don't like it in any fighting game period.
#13gamedude2009Posted 4/22/2013 2:20:08 PM
I'm not against having a different way to get Final Smashes (although I think Smash Balls should stay in some capacity), but I don't think a traditional meter is the best way to go about it.

And no, those are not the same, because Mario RPGs started out with those stats, as to where giving a super meter to Smash would change the already existing Smash series fundamentally.

We're saying that adding a meter to Smash would be bad. When PiT and SS changed their mechanics, people thought all the others were superior.
---
Toad, Little Mac, Ridley, Mallo, Master Hand for SSB. +Vectorman
I'm a nice guy, just don't use your stupidity as a weapon, or I will counter with my Bolo Gun.
#14Drkr_ZenPosted 4/22/2013 3:08:15 PM
I think Final Smashes without Smash Balls would be the best route to go. As is, they're just too up in the air.
---
Playing: MGR:R, BL2, KoA:R
GOTY: Bayonetta (2010) DX:HR (2011) Borderlands 2 (2012) BS: Infinite (2013)
#15ViewtifulGenePosted 4/22/2013 3:12:28 PM(edited)
DarkKirby2500 posted...
ViewtifulGene posted...
I would like to see a way to use FSes without Smash Balls. It wouldn't necessarily have to be meter-based. For example, there could be an option to stock a number of FSes at the start of a match, just like lives.

There would have to be some kind of built in rule of how many Final Smashes you get per stock or how long the match is (if timed).

If it's completely left to the player to decide there will undoubtedly be arguments on which is the correct number, and more likely most people will just turn it off completely in competitive matches like items. In addition, it will give the developers an excuse to have the Final Smashes horribly imbalanced like they are now because you could "just turn it off".

This can all be remedied if the game has custom lobby settings for online matches, which it should have regardless of what happens to FSes. If two people consent to spamming FSes nonstop, more power to them. If people want to set limits, more power to them. If people want to go somewhere in the middle, more power to them.. There doesn't need to be one 'right" number when each group can set its own rules without bothering anyone else.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#16ViewtifulGenePosted 4/22/2013 3:18:10 PM
Doug314 posted...
Smash is not how other games are. This is part of how lots of other games are.

Running and jumping are part of many games that Smash is different from. Let's get rid of those too.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#17GoldenJoe24Posted 4/22/2013 5:22:26 PM
No meters, please. Too cliche. This is Smash Bros, not Super Street Fighter HD Fourth Strike Remix AC Edition 2013 no matter how much Melee diehards want it to be.
#18SmallerRidleyPosted 4/22/2013 5:27:00 PM
No meters, please. Too cliche. This is Smash Bros, not Super Street Fighter HD Fourth Strike Remix AC Edition 2013 no matter how much Melee diehards want it to be.

You're quite a disagreeable chap.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#19SalsaSavantPosted 4/22/2013 5:42:08 PM
Meter might be fun for a gimmick mode, but that's all it would be good for.
---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound is coming to the US.
#20gamedude2009Posted 4/22/2013 5:54:21 PM
SalsaSavant posted...
Meter might be fun for a gimmick mode, but that's all it would be good for.

That's a neat idea, kinda like coin battle.
---
Toad, Little Mac, Ridley, Mallo, Master Hand for SSB. +Vectorman
I'm a nice guy, just don't use your stupidity as a weapon, or I will counter with my Bolo Gun.