jQuestion for Smash Veterans.

#1Quartus_VeritasPosted 4/23/2013 4:32:27 AM
Hi, to anyone familiar with the controls of the series;

Is it possible to use an arcade pad (fightstick) to play the older entry games to the series? I am considering getting one for when I play Tekken Tag Tournament 2, but I do not want to invest $160 on a good one just for one game. I am hoping that I will be able to use it as well when the new entry arrives.

Thanks alot.
#2ViewtifulGenePosted 4/23/2013 4:44:46 AM
Brawl had settings for a custom button layout so if you can get a stick that works for the console, it should work fine in that game at least. We don't know what options SSB4 will have.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#3EarthLord_CJPosted 4/23/2013 4:53:55 AM
We don't have any information as to whether or not an arcade stick will work with the next game. I wouldn't hold your breath, though, as they haven't made the games compatible with arcade controllers previously (as far as I can remember).
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#4ViewtifulGenePosted 4/23/2013 6:10:06 AM
EarthLord_CJ posted...
We don't have any information as to whether or not an arcade stick will work with the next game. I wouldn't hold your breath, though, as they haven't made the games compatible with arcade controllers previously (as far as I can remember).

The game developer doesn't need to bend over backwards for arcade stick support. All you need is a stick that the console accepts. (This may entail tricking the console into thinking the stick is a different controller. Lots of people sell adaptors for this purpose. ) Sticks use the exact same PC boards as their respective controllers so the games don't need to treat them any differently. The only issue is where each button is located on the player's end; the game doesn't treat a press of the R button differently if your R button is on the surface instead of the shoulder. But most games have custom button settings anyway.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#5SalsaSavantPosted 4/23/2013 6:45:26 AM
I can't think of a time when anyone used an arcade stick. The physics of Smash are just too losse for anything but a controller. But if you're determined, you should be able to use custom button layouts to get it to work.
---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound is coming to the US.
#6usaamahlinkPosted 4/23/2013 7:33:47 AM
I think GC controller is still the best method. I use it for Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl (All on my Wii).
---
Currently playing: Chrono Trigger, The Last Story, Vandal Hearts, Fire Emblem (GBA), Xenoblade Chronicles, F-Zero GX. SSB Brawl <-(always)
#7Falco_TaverenPosted 4/23/2013 10:40:37 AM
You can use it on melee and brawl, but all of the arcade sticks compatible with the gc/wii are $20 stinkers that are absolutely useless

GC controller is good enough, just use that
---
u fink i freeky?
i fink u freeky.