"Mario has 8 reps, so can Pokemon"

#1liveman789Posted 4/24/2013 7:29:28 AM
People keep saying this, and it's a flawed logic. Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario may have started in the Mario series (Mario technically started in DK's series), but they all branched off to have series of their own. There hasn't been one Pokemon that branched off from the main series to have a series of their own.

There is such a thing as too many Pokemon characters. When specific Pokemon get their own spinoff series, then they can use the excuse of having the same amount of Mario reps. Also, it's a 2nd party series, and despite it's immense success, it shouldn't outnumber every true 1st party Nintendo series.
#2liveman789(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 7:31:52 AM
And on the contrary, yeah, Pokemon had 6 characters in 4 slots in Brawl. I think that was a perfect way of representing the series, as it had the same amount of slots as the Mario Series, but didn't exceed the count if you counted Mario's spinoff series characters.
#3UberPyro64Posted 4/24/2013 7:36:06 AM
So like my reaction roster lol.
---
My SSB4 Roster: http://imageshack.us/a/img802/5691/april20132roster.png
#4liveman789(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 7:38:33 AM
UberPyro64 posted...
So like my reaction roster lol.

Yes, lol, while I do like the majority of the other decisions of that roster.
#5ViewtifulGenePosted 4/24/2013 7:49:39 AM(edited)
2nd party studios are owned by 1st parties. A 2nd party franchise isn't any less of a Nintendo franchise.

It's not for us to decide when a franchise objectively has too many characters.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#6papermegaslimePosted 4/24/2013 7:49:05 AM
That's it! Spin-offs! We can get more Pokemon in by having them wear Mystery Dungeon bandannas!
---
Clefairy is best Pokemon and should be an alt costume for Jiggs
#7ViewtifulGenePosted 4/24/2013 7:52:05 AM
papermegaslime posted...
That's it! Spin-offs! We can get more Pokemon in by having them wear Mystery Dungeon bandannas!

Give Pikachu an emblem based on Hey You Pikachu and the Pokemon Pikachu digital pet. That'll free up space for a Pokemon newcomer without cutting anyone.
---
"Once again, ViewtifulGene's logic blows minds and crushes dreams." -TheGamingGolfer
"Supez teh king" -dedekong
#8papermegaslimePosted 4/24/2013 8:07:10 AM
And don't forget, Plusle and Minun can easily count as reps from the first Pokemon Ranger instead of 3rd Gen, or Ukulele Pichu. Oh! Any Pokemon with a Dark Aura can be from Pokemon Coliseum!
---
Clefairy is best Pokemon and should be an alt costume for Jiggs
#9Faceman_Posted 4/24/2013 9:12:55 AM
Wouldn't Mario technically be a spin off of the Donkey Kong series? I mean... The first game was Donkey Kong...
#10NME_EnterprisesPosted 4/24/2013 9:14:49 AM
It should be. But the protagonist was Mario (or Jumpman) rather than Donkey Kong.

It's like Metroid: the protagonist is Samus. Metroids are... well, they're part of the story.

Metroids should be playable.
---
People who've needed "a monstah to clobbah dat dere Kirbeh!": 128
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/15/heartscream2.jpg