This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Idea for compromise between item people and non-item guys

#1SalsaSavantPosted 4/24/2013 9:58:09 AM
Fixed item mode.

In fixed item mode, items and when/where they drop is pre-determined.

For example, at the two minute mark on every match on a certain stage, a beam sword will drop on a certain platform, and it will do the same every match on that stage with "fixed items" on. Each stage should have a variety of settings (Such as chaotic, strategic, weak, etc.) and we should have the option to make our own "fixed item" settings.

Of course, normal randomly dropped items should be an option too.
---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound is coming to the US.
#2SalsaSavant(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 10:04:20 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3Someguy_13Posted 4/24/2013 11:05:45 AM
Well personally the randomness is only part of why I don't like items. There's more to it than that.

When a character, any character has an item, that item is their best option, if too many items are appearing it basically stops being Smash Bros and starts being two people just throwing items at each other.
The worst is stuff like the Beam Sword or the Fan, that actually replaces parts of your moveset with better moves that are more similar to everyone elses with that item.

Items take away from the uniqueness of each character and their moveset.

And then there's also the fact that some items are just incredibly broken and over powered. When you grab certain items, it's basically just an instant kill for you.
The feeling I get when I kill someone with one of these items is a similar feeling I get when I kill someone who just tripped. It's likes "yay" and more "ehh".

Because of the overpowered weapons deaths can be frustrating, although this the one problem I have with items that's lessened by your Fixed Spawning idea. But when someone kills you with an overpowered item just because it spawned near them it's frustrating. At the same time, killing someone with one of those weapons isn't very satisfying.
Like is said. Fixed Spawning fixes this to an extent, but deaths would still feel more justified by turning items off, and kills would also be more satisfying. So suddenly the game is less frustrating, and more rewarding to play.

TL;DR: I see the merits of a Fixed Spawning items system, but I still don't want to play with items on because their randomness isn't the only reason I hate items.
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#4Doug314Posted 4/24/2013 8:13:52 PM
No way.

P.S.: If it's everyone throwing items at each other that's how you know for sure it absolutely is Smash Bros. and not some other, inferior fighting game.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB4
"I'm willing to bet money that Waluigi, Chrom and K. Rool are in this game" -DynasticAnthony
#5bestssbbfanPosted 4/24/2013 8:15:10 PM
Better Idea: Item switch, you can turn them on or off. Genius!
---
Created 6/12/2011
This sig will not change until mewtwo is confirmed in Super Smash Bros 4!
#6RanzEDGEPosted 4/24/2013 8:35:42 PM
bestssbbfan posted...

Why hasnt anyone ever thought of this!? wait a minute...
---
VV-Double team is OP-VV
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc87/lugiaXDTrainer/Lucario/lucariosig.gif
#7SalsaSavant(Topic Creator)Posted 4/24/2013 8:41:06 PM
bestssbbfan posted...

Doing that often gets you b****** at.
---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound is coming to the US.
#8ToiletDuck64Posted 4/25/2013 9:39:35 AM
bestssbbfan posted...
Better Idea that they already came up with back in the first game: Item switch, you can turn them on or make them show up even more often than usual. Genius!

Fixed.

Am I the only one who always turns the item spawn rate up to "Very High"?
---
http://toiletduck64.deviantart.com/