Realistic speculation

#1Amazing AmpharosPosted 4/26/2013 9:01:56 AM(edited)
This board is all speculation and it tends to run rampant. Here's what I think is more limited but realistic speculation.

Mario did very, very well over the past generation. I'd expect to see relatively more Mario themed stuff in the game whether that means characters, stages, items, trophies, whatever. Seriously, on the Wii, the top 9 selling games were all made by Nintendo. 3 were Mario games, 5 were Wii whatever games, and the last was Brawl itself. On that note, a Galaxy themed stage just seems too good for them to pass up; I'd be absolutely shocked if there wasn't one.

Similarly, Wii whatever stuff did very well. I'm not sure there's really a character possibility there other than "Mii" which seems kinda like animal crosser to me (it could work, but it's not ideal). That's a maybe or maybe not, but a Wii whatever themed stage, most likely Wii Sports, seems like a shoe in.

Fire Emblem Awakening has done pretty well for Nintendo especially by the standards of that franchise. I'd expect it to be represented in the game somehow, either by being the setting for the new Fire Emblem stage or by a character. "Masked Marth" being a costume for Marth is a possibility too I suppose...

Honestly none of Nintendo's non-Mario franchises saw impressive growth this past generation, and most of their existing ones that don't have inclusions currently are a little more on the obscure side. It's really hard to find good newcomer possibilities. I'd love an Advance Wars or Golden Sun character as much as the next guy, but both are kinda stretches. Little Mac seems like the strongest possibility for a newcomer both in terms of strong retro appeal and a pretty successful Wii game (it moved over a million units worldwide) as well as strong moveset possibilities, and he's about the only character I would be surprised not to see. Something representing Xenoblade also seems likely given that it not only was decently successful but has a Wii U sequel coming by all appearances. Whether that's Shulk as a character or just a stage I can't say.

Among returning characters, the original 8 are obviously safe. From the rest of the cast, I would be absolutely stunned if Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Ganondorf, Pit, or Olimar got cut. The other 20ish characters have some degree of risk, but for any of them in general, I'd view it as a low risk since it's pretty likely that most of the cast is going to return. The single character at biggest risk is probably Snake, and it's not reasonable to pick a second place risk.

For returning stages, it's really hard to say. Some will return, probably at least as many past stages as Brawl had (10) if not more. Delfino Plaza is very likely. Smashville will too if there's not a Smashville 2. Hanenbow is probably out; it's too obscure, and everyone really hated it. If Snake or Sonic get cut, obviously their stages go with them.

Pokeballs will mostly contain 5th gen Pokemon. 6th gen is coming too late though it may have a token representative.

Expect wildly improved online functionality. The criticisms Brawl received in this regard were vocal and very evidently hurt sales (it was "only" the 8th best selling game on the console after all).

If Meta Knight returns, expect him to be massively nerfed. They already have a history of overnerfing, and Meta Knight was hated to too much of an extent to be spared. They wouldn't dare risk him being top tier again.

I'd expect faster paced gameplay than Brawl; that critcism almost certainly got through. I wouldn't expect much pandering to Melee fans in general though; they'll probably focus more on doing things in a new way as opposed to emulating any previous entries.

Single player will be pared down. They know no one liked subspace, and it took a lot of work to make.

That is about all I can say about smash 4 before speculating would just become wishlisting. Anyone else feel decently sure about anything?
#2KlRBEHPosted 4/26/2013 9:18:53 AM
About Meta-Knight remember that Namco is also working on this game, I'm sure they will do a fine job balancing characters in this game.
---
http://i.imgur.com/fUaBI.jpg
I NEEDUH MONSTA TA CLOBBA DAT DERE KIRBEH
#3Doug314Posted 4/26/2013 7:18:35 PM
6th gen isn't too late. Remember this game still has a long way to go and the Pokeball Pokemon can be done late since almost nothing requires them to be done in order to function. Brawl had 4th gen Pokemon and it was released about the same time compared to brawl as this and 6th gen. I doubt they'll see single player as a failure and go on adding more new stuff to the single player. The cast will be entirely rebalanced and they don't care about tiers. Making it sound like Metaknight will be nerfed but no mention of the rest of the roster is pretty pointless.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB4
"I'm willing to bet money that Waluigi, Chrom and K. Rool are in this game" -DynasticAnthony
#4xyzlacticPosted 4/26/2013 7:59:38 PM
Doug314 posted...
6th gen isn't too late. Remember this game still has a long way to go and the Pokeball Pokemon can be done late since almost nothing requires them to be done in order to function. Brawl had 4th gen Pokemon and it was released about the same time compared to brawl as this and 6th gen. I doubt they'll see single player as a failure and go on adding more new stuff to the single player. The cast will be entirely rebalanced and they don't care about tiers. Making it sound like Metaknight will be nerfed but no mention of the rest of the roster is pretty pointless.

Go watch any competitive ssbb tourney on YouTube. I kid you not there is nothing but meta knights there
---
Homosexual Hipster of Smash Bros and Pokemon X and Y boards. G.A.Y = Good At Yugioh
#5AnnoyingCornGuyPosted 4/26/2013 8:05:43 PM
I agree with everything for the most part.

I'm very uncertain about cuts to the roster. All of the cuts aside from Mewtwo were clones, and Lucario felt SLIGHTLY similar to him. If they don't cut, I don't imagine us getting many new characters, but if they do cut it's hard to imagine what they'd pick, since a lot of Brawl movesets are unique.

I don't know if they'd base it off of character popularity, relevance, or just uniqueness to the rest of the cast. Or if they tweak movesets from cut characters to make new ones I suppose.
#6SmallerRidleyPosted 4/26/2013 8:11:44 PM(edited)
I'd like to see data where a series seeing growth completely unrelated to this game directly causes an increase in representation in this game. I'm really convinced that most everyone has somehow convinced themselves that their arguments here are the same as what happens there.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#7AnnoyingCornGuyPosted 4/26/2013 8:25:57 PM
SmallerRidley posted...
I'd like to see data where a series seeing growth completely unrelated to this game directly causes an increase in representation in this game. I'm really convinced that most everyone has somehow convinced themselves that their arguments here are the same as what happens there.

I suppose that's true. In your opinion, what criteria do we usually see a franchise meet to be represented? Like, I don't think F-Zero was very popular at the time and yet he was repped in 64, despite there being no moveset to follow.

Eathbound too. I knew about the game before Smash, so as a kid I didn't really question it. But honestly, what was relevant about it? There wasn't a new game coming out, it definitely wasn't popular at the time.

Maybe this is discussion for another topic though.
#8SmallerRidleyPosted 4/26/2013 8:32:41 PM
Relevant criteria are about as definable as a limit that goes to 0/0. Sure you could work at it and get a solution for one instance, but you aren't going to get the same answer for every instance, and sometimes you're not even going to get a solution.

I don't consider there to be any set of criteria, so long as the character brings something to the game it didn't have enough of before.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#9Doug314Posted 4/27/2013 2:04:30 AM
xyzlactic posted...
Doug314 posted...

Go watch any competitive ssbb tourney on YouTube. I kid you not there is nothing but meta knights there

Irrelevant. The entire roster will be rebalanced and game mechanics redone. Thus after that, Metaknight will not be known to be better than others anymore. Thus there is no reason to also say nerfed by him.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB4
"I'm willing to bet money that Waluigi, Chrom and K. Rool are in this game" -DynasticAnthony
#10P00DGEPosted 4/27/2013 3:11:51 AM
I would say all of that is reasonable speculation