The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people keep saying that there's a certain number of slots?

#1DanspurtPosted 4/29/2013 11:42:06 PM
Something like "if they cut these characters, that will leave three slots for three new characters".

Assuming that the entire structure of the development is based on a certain number of "slots" that need to be filled is like assuming that every character would take the equal amount of time to implement.

Cutting three veterans will not leave them the time they need to develop three brand new balanced movesets. Far from, even.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#2OnionOfMysteryPosted 4/29/2013 11:44:16 PM
How do you expect people to spite Jigglypuff/Snake/Lucario fans if we don't keep the slot myth alive?
---
The official OnionOfMystery of Reality.
"Vaan is like a Robin in a universe composed entirely of Batmans."
#3Doug314Posted 4/29/2013 11:46:30 PM
It's pretty close to 3 veterans for 3 newcomers though. The game mechanics will be different and everyone will have to be rebalanced and remade anyway.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB4
"I'm willing to bet money that Waluigi, Chrom and K. Rool are in this game" -DynasticAnthony
#4Danspurt(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 11:52:51 PM(edited)
I know what you're thinking. I should've taken the blue pill.

Rebalancing will always be important, but they will not reanimate and redesign everything from the ground up. That's just silly. They have a working moveset and they would use the old hitbox and skeleton to structure the new incarnation of the character. Balancing a competitive game like this is always very picky, so this is a serious headstart.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#5DasDavidPosted 4/30/2013 12:10:35 AM
Preach it mane.

Sadly a lot of people won't see it that way, and still believe that new characters take as long to make as bringing the vets over.
---
Final SSB4 prediction/wishlist before E3 2013
http://imgur.com/2a4A1An
#6Doug314Posted 4/30/2013 12:27:19 AM
But if you've seen stuff like the Tales of Symphonia games, they did a bad job of reusing code and didn't even use some that seemed like it could have just been copied and pasted. If they couldn't do that, how can you expect them to just take someone else's code and reuse it?
---
Palutena, Isaac, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB4
"I'm willing to bet money that Waluigi, Chrom and K. Rool are in this game" -DynasticAnthony
#7Danspurt(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2013 12:33:31 AM(edited)
I have no insight in the Tales of series so I have no idea what you're referring to.

Look, even if we do assume that Sakurai for some reason completely overhauled everything from Melee and Brawl and thus can't automatically carry anything over, the information about each character's animation, hitbox, skeleton and whatnot is still there, documented and ready to reuse. It's not like it only exists in Brawl's code.
---