This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Giving characters Likelihood Percentages is stupid

#1wiiking96Posted 4/30/2013 3:25:24 PM
CCCCCCCCCCC

Honestly, it's just irritating and pointless.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#2HejiruPosted 4/30/2013 3:34:13 PM
D

Hejiru posted...
DavemanCosman posted...
DoctorRice posted...
You people coming up with these exact percentages baffle me. Do you visit a proctologist, or do you pull all this crap out of your ass on your own?

This. I don't understand how you attach a numerical value to something that can't be measured. Instead of percentages, use something like "Highly likely" or "somewhat likely."

It's not a concrete thing; it's just a way of showing how likely you think someone is. Pretty much the same thing only instead of "highly likely" we make up some number like "80%." I think most people understand we're not sitting here with some objective calculator, so what's the big deal if people use made-up percentages?

---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#3Limelight788Posted 4/30/2013 3:49:52 PM(edited)
D

It really depends. If it's something like Rate Their Chance where it's done for fun, then sure, I have no qualms with it. It's when people rely on percentage too much on their arguments that it melts the credibility of the argument away.
---
Want Mega Man in Super Smash Bros. 4? Check out this thread at Smashboards that I'm the leader of:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-official-mega-man-for-ssb4-thread-the-most-wanted-newcomer.324266/
#4SmallerRidleyPosted 4/30/2013 3:53:43 PM
The roster isn't inherently probabilistic anyway.
---
Surely there's no problem with them putting me in Brawl, right?
It's ****ing satire, damnit. In NGE, Doritos are perishable goods
#5liveman789Posted 4/30/2013 3:54:04 PM
Hejiru posted...
so what's the big deal if people use made-up percentages?

made-up percentages?

made-up

That's the problem.
#6CrystalKing5426Posted 4/30/2013 3:55:07 PM
Fi: Master, I calculate an 85% chance that this topic is dumb.
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
Evil King of the Zelda Wii U Board
#7MrSpacelySlatePosted 4/30/2013 5:18:39 PM
Huge C.

Especially in regards to this board, who just LOVE to overrate certain characters.
#8DavemanCosmanPosted 4/30/2013 6:12:09 PM
Hejiru posted...
D

Hejiru posted...
DavemanCosman posted...
DoctorRice posted...
You people coming up with these exact percentages baffle me. Do you visit a proctologist, or do you pull all this crap out of your ass on your own?

This. I don't understand how you attach a numerical value to something that can't be measured. Instead of percentages, use something like "Highly likely" or "somewhat likely."

It's not a concrete thing; it's just a way of showing how likely you think someone is. Pretty much the same thing only instead of "highly likely" we make up some number like "80%." I think most people understand we're not sitting here with some objective calculator, so what's the big deal if people use made-up percentages?

"Sometimes a numerical scale fails to make much sense even on its own terms. I might rank paintings on aesthetic goodness using a scale from 1 to 10, where what I am quantifying is how the painting struck me on the particular occasion I viewed it. If the same painting gets very different ratings from me on different occasions, and starkly different paintings often get the same rating, it would be entirely unclear how the numerical scale was illuminating or quantifying anything at all." (141, Tim Kenyon)
-from Clear Thinking in a Blurry World
---
Cheers, luck and other indoor sports
-Daveman
#9DasDavidPosted 4/30/2013 6:18:50 PM
Eh... I think it's kinda pointless, but I understand that people mostly just do it as an arbitrary way of stating how likely they think someone is.

When they are used for the sake of putting another down, such as:

"I like X character, I would like to see him"

"Well too bad because considering [facts] X character only has like a 20% chance of being in. You're stupid for thinking he'd be cool to be in cause he won't be."

Now this pretty rarely happens... so I'm gonna go with D
---
Final SSB4 prediction/wishlist before E3 2013
http://imgur.com/2a4A1An
#10G-ScythePosted 4/30/2013 6:23:43 PM
MrSpacelySlate posted...
Huge C.

Especially in regards to this board, who just LOVE to overrate certain characters.

this.
Bayonetta is cool and all, but i can't believe that some people act like she is almost guaranteed to be in due to having one Nintendo exclusive game coming up
---
Not changing this sig until I get bored of it - started 8/11/2011