Is anyone else worried they're gonna go the Mario Kart way with new characters?

#1SuperJoshi07Posted 5/4/2013 1:26:18 PM(edited)
With the last two Mario Karts, rather than going with predictable (and arguably, deserving) newcomers like Kamek or Hammer Bro., they went with really unexpected ones to make everyone go, "Wow, didn't think I'd see them!"

Like, in Mario Kart Wii, while they added Rosalina, whom everyone saw coming, they also added Dry Bowser and Funky Kong, two whom none would have guessed instead of fan-favorites like Petey; and Baby Daisy, a literally brand-new character.

Mario Kart 7 was even worse, I'd say. Some had guessed Wiggler, but Lakitu? Honey Queen!? Metal-freaking-Mario!? They all were present, instead of predictable new choices (Hammer Bro, Lubba) or classics that probably should have been in (Waluigi, Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong).

So, I'm a bit worried this might follow in their footsteps, especially with the small increase in roster size. We might have characters like Lucario, Ike, Wolf, or *gasp* Dedede cut, with newcomers that are random choices like Anthony Higgs or Rosalina, getting in over more important characters like Ridley or Bowser Jr./Toad/Waluigi(ugh).

What do you think? Are my concerns unfounded? Or should you be worried too?
---
One day, eventually, Wario, Daisy, Waluigi, DK, and Birdo will appear in a main series game again.
#2SalsaSavantPosted 5/4/2013 1:24:08 PM(edited)
They already went that way with Melee.
They've learned their lesson.
I expect one "out there" character for the sake of variety, and the rest to be more grounded choices.
---
On 12/02/12 I said I wouldn't change this until something impossible happened. Now, Earthbound is coming to the US.
#3sterlingtygerPosted 5/4/2013 1:31:55 PM
Worried? No.
Hoping? Yes.
#4EJWPosted 5/4/2013 1:36:19 PM
WTF/Fodder/Unexpected characters for newcomers are what appeal to me in crossovers.

I don't want to just have Main/Expected characters that are easy to figure out unless the WTF/Fodder/Unexpected characters are added along with them.
---
Random user: Google is your friend.
Me: Google led me here now answer the damn question!!!
#5MichaelollPosted 5/4/2013 1:41:15 PM
no one wants Lubba. No one cares about Hammer Bro or Kamek.

No one uses them in mario party so they don't need to be in the kart game. Rosalina was not seen coming. And Tiny Kong > Funky Kong.

Now stop making kart smash topics
#6albertojz356Posted 5/4/2013 1:43:26 PM
Michaeloll posted...

No one uses them in mario party so they don't need to be in the kart game. Rosalina was not seen coming. And Tiny Kong > Funky Kong.

I'd say Rosalina was very predictable. A lot of the Mario spin offs characters tend to be characters that are easier to clone off others, it's what has been done for the spin offs ever since the N64 days.
---
Pauline, Palutena, Bayonetta, Cptn. Syrup, Eirika, Micaiah, Anna, Lyn, Lucina, Shantae, Lip, Andy, Medusa, Birdo, & Mike Jones for SSB4!
#7MichaelollPosted 5/4/2013 1:47:14 PM
albertojz356 posted...
Michaeloll posted...

I'd say Rosalina was very predictable. A lot of the Mario spin offs characters tend to be characters that are easier to clone off others, it's what has been done for the spin offs ever since the N64 days.

i looked at the mkw boards when rosalina was confirmed. people were surprised..
#8SmokedChiliPosted 5/4/2013 1:58:17 PM
Meh. I prefer unpredictability over fan favourites when it comes to rosters.
---
I came... to this topic.
And I just orgasmed.
#9reaverzPosted 5/4/2013 2:50:14 PM
Out of all the Smash games to be worried about this, these are definitely the ones you shouldn't be concerned about. Sakurai already said that adding a bunch of characters wouldn't be the main focus of these games. If there was any game that did something like this, it was Melee.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#10dedekongPosted 5/4/2013 2:58:22 PM
Sakurai has nothing to do with the Mario kart team, so "they" won't be doing anything.