This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you feel about Melee vs. Brawl physics?

#21EarthLord_CJPosted 5/14/2013 6:13:38 AM
djmaster1994 posted...
I like Brawl better. Melee physics make 60% of the roster unbalanced

No, poor character testing and a lack of understanding certain exploits made 60% of the roster unbalanced in Melee.
And not to start a war here, but Brawl's roster was even less balanced, competitively speaking. That's straight from the mouths of people who contend at a high-level of play.

Granted in either case, though, there were factors that were potentially difficult to truly test, (which is where most balance issues in any game arise), but the point still stands.
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#22TheWayofPiePosted 5/14/2013 8:33:42 AM
EarthLord_CJ posted...
djmaster1994 posted...
I like Brawl better. Melee physics make 60% of the roster unbalanced

No, poor character testing and a lack of understanding certain exploits made 60% of the roster unbalanced in Melee.
And not to start a war here, but Brawl's roster was even less balanced, competitively speaking. That's straight from the mouths of people who contend at a high-level of play.

Granted in either case, though, there were factors that were potentially difficult to truly test, (which is where most balance issues in any game arise), but the point still stands.

Exactly. It's strange that Brawl is so much more unbalanced than Melee and had way more time put into it.

Until you realize that Sakurai balanced most of the roster by himself, and he's honestly pretty bad at the game from footage I saw at a Japanese tv show on youtube where he played a match with a host or whatever.
---
Ridley: *Adjusts monocole* Why, I've become civilized, my dear Samantha! Anyway, come, sit, have some tea. -Master_Warlord7 Same Time Posts: 8
#23PlumbousPosted 5/14/2013 9:04:35 AM
Speaking as someone who is only really into fighting games on a non-competitive level, I like Brawl's slower, floatier mechanics. It's not as flashy, but I find it more responsive, easier to keep track of what's actually happening on-screen, and overall more accessible to people who aren't as familiar with the game.

Melee's cool if you're in the mood for intense combat and you know each character's moveset and attributes in and out, but when you only play games for casual get-togethers anymore it just seems more dated compared to Brawl. I guess I speak for the minority of people who actually visit this site, though, since being a "casual gamer" is some sort of taboo or mark of heresy in Internet gaming communities.
#24Jacob46719Posted 5/14/2013 9:33:00 AM
CPU-Z posted...
Melee's was easily better.

---
Currently Playing: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, 007 Legends, StarCraft 2, SM3DL, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Lego City
#25sefirosufanPosted 5/14/2013 1:41:15 PM
Melee is superior.
---
"Behold! Guns of the Patriots!"
#26Someguy_13Posted 5/14/2013 1:48:26 PM
Plumbous posted...
but I find [Brawl] more responsive,

Brawl is actually less responsive.

On any given input, even offline, there's a 0-2 frame delay. It's not much, but it's just enough to make Brawl feel sluggish.
It's also enough to make it less responsive than Melee.
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#27Darth_KamcioPosted 5/14/2013 1:57:21 PM
Original SSB all the way.

Well, maybe Brawl- too.
---
I love dragons!
White FC: 2194 3983 9072
#28EarthLord_CJPosted 5/14/2013 7:58:29 PM
TheWayofPie posted...
Exactly. It's strange that Brawl is so much more unbalanced than Melee and had way more time put into it.

Until you realize that Sakurai balanced most of the roster by himself, and he's honestly pretty bad at the game from footage I saw at a Japanese tv show on youtube where he played a match with a host or whatever.

Honestly, if that really was the sole problem for Brawl's balancing issues, then I don't think Smash 4 will have the same problem. Various sources have stated that Sakurai's taking a 'hands-off' approach this time around, which seems to imply that character balance (and maybe even character design, who knows?) will be more or less handled by other individuals.
Which, if it ends up being in Namco's hands, then I don't see it being too much of a problem (I don't know how they are at balancing relative to other devs, but I don't think they'd be as notorious as Capcom is).
---
#29EarthLord_CJPosted 5/14/2013 8:00:43 PM
Someguy_13 posted...
Plumbous posted...
but I find [Brawl] more responsive,

Brawl is actually less responsive.

On any given input, even offline, there's a 0-2 frame delay. It's not much, but it's just enough to make Brawl feel sluggish.
It's also enough to make it less responsive than Melee.

Also, this.

Brawl might feel more comfortable to many people, though, as your actions aren't as reliant on slighter inputs like Melee is. 'Responsive' is not the best word in that respect, though, at least on a somewhat factual level.
---
#30TheWayofPiePosted 5/14/2013 8:16:48 PM
I like the sound of this hands off approach. And on average namco is pretty good at balancing. Except Soul Calibur 3. That was really bad.
---
Ridley: *Adjusts monocole* Why, I've become civilized, my dear Samantha! Anyway, come, sit, have some tea. -Master_Warlord7 Same Time Posts: 8