Well the toys are hacked now.... will people keep buying them?

#1metagross111Posted 10/28/2011 10:29:58 AM
http://slashdot.org/submission/1831776/skylander-toys-hacked-activision-says-cease-and-d

Activision's trying to squash it though.
---
Heck no. I absolutely despise good decks. --- soccerprodi
#2lambchipsPosted 10/28/2011 11:01:21 AM
meh, im pretty sure the wii version already has a cheat code that can force change what toys we have on our portal

i'll still buy the toys for the ones im interested in (since they look nice)
i dont really see the toys as a new ingame character as much as a decoration

im waiting to see if the hack is going to be made public... i wouldnt mind trying out some of the unreleased characters
---
phantasy star zero FC- 2364- 5734-1428
#3DanTheTimidPosted 10/28/2011 1:32:38 PM
I honestly don't really see this as too big of a concern. Though I think activision was wise to squash this as quickly as they did, I think the target audience of this game is such that they're either too young to understand this, or they'd rather actually own the figures anyway. People who don't want to have to buy the figures aren't likely to buy this game in the first place. At worst I suppose it could hurt the secondary market as if there are any rare figures that are hard to come by people are probably more likely to use a hack to play as that character then pay ridiculously bloated prices on ebay or what have you to get the actual figure.
#4hunter1307Posted 10/28/2011 2:43:53 PM
i honestly dont blame those who decided to hack the char you are using to change them into another at will without buying the actual toy i mean as if buying the game at its price wasnt good enough.. no, they expect us to spend more money on toys too..?
the game does look fun dont get me wrong but having to spend additional cash on toys to be able to use em in the game isnt worth my money especially if this game isnt wifi compatible
---
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, That is why it is called the present
3DS Fc:0860-3399-9314
#5megax11Posted 10/28/2011 4:50:08 PM
The only way I would support someone doing something like this, is if Activision is shady enough to not provide us with the remaining 12 characters. Without the last 12, every version of this game is incomplete, especially the home console games which unlock Heroic Challenges for each new Skylander that's placed on the portal.
---
The Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony fanboy. PSWii60DSP FTW! 1293 games and still growing. XBL: GameMaster1178 PSN: megax28
#6ThepowerofpikaPosted 10/28/2011 5:26:04 PM
Yeah I will keep buying. The reason I bought the game was the collecting aspect of buying the toys. I collect Pokemon toys and Pokemon cards and Dinosaur king cards already. This was another thing I thought it'd be fun to collect.

Personally I would never use a hack because it defeats the purpose I bought the game for in the first place.=/

I can understand why people would do it though with me and what I enjoy I actually enjoy the collecting aspect of the toys far more than the game itself. Being able to use the game with the toys is a bonus for me really.
---
I've decided to go retro for now.
#7powerprotomanPosted 10/28/2011 9:38:15 PM
beacuse i dont have a hacking kit plus i like this game and want to see more yes i will buy the figures
#8Rip3465Posted 10/29/2011 10:15:53 AM
Thepowerofpika posted...
I can understand why people would do it though with me and what I enjoy I actually enjoy the collecting aspect of the toys far more than the game itself. Being able to use the game with the toys is a bonus for me really.

This.
---
Theres a knife wielding sociopath living in my basement.
But it's okay, he helps out with the chores.
#9metagross111(Topic Creator)Posted 10/30/2011 3:01:48 PM
Well it would seem he's ceasing work on it, however, he has made the Cease and Desist letter, as well as his response, public to anyone interested.

http://brandonw.net/skylanders/
---
Heck no. I absolutely despise good decks. --- soccerprodi
#10khovelPosted 10/31/2011 7:36:54 PM
I can see Activision doing this as well. It not only screws the company, but it screws the MMO aspect of the game as well. Being able to hack the characters would have reprecussions online as well thus ruining it for the online community
---
[url=http://tinyurl.com/3pgcatx][img]http://tinyurl.com/42zrald/.gif[/img][/url]