Why does this game look so stupid?

#1JFFMFBPosted 6/17/2012 7:47:27 AM
Don't get me wrong, the art is gorgeous, but unfortunately the game looks like it was drawn based off concepts sketched by a 12 year old autistic boy in math class.
---
"Any man who says that they would rather have sex with a man than a woman is gay" -Biggie_Pun
http://www.last.fm/user/ClumsyRobot
#2XSilverPhoenixXPosted 6/17/2012 5:48:32 PM
I wasn't impressed by the illustrations myself or the clunky animation. Hopefully the game gets a facelift since Atlus got involved. Giant manwomen with huge boobs aren't going to be enough.
#3VyseLegendPosted 6/17/2012 11:46:50 PM
Your comments really make no sense to me. The art style of this studios' previous games is a good indicator where this game's style originated.
---
"Why the hell would the director decide to use the sounds of happy children if we were supposed to interpret that humanity had been destroyed?"
#4MatimofanaldaPosted 6/18/2012 1:50:35 PM
Wow talk about no love for this art style. I bought a ps3 just so I can play this game when it comes out. And half the reason I'm so excited is because of the awesome art style (both in illustrations and in game from what I've seen)!

And um giant manwomen?? Plz she's barely buff enough to be an amazon, plus all the females are sexualized out to hell, if anything I can understand someone being offendied that the girls were too sexualized. But honestly I'm happy to see more buff women in games, It maskes freaking sense after all for a female warrior to be so buff.
#5BlackMetalisWarPosted 6/18/2012 6:56:15 PM
I don't care. (although I hate the art style)

I'm just happy there's going to be a new 2D side scroller beat em up to play. (D&D inspired to boot)
---
Deathcore is garbage.
#6HermanTuttlePosted 6/18/2012 11:07:01 PM
If she was an actual Amazon, she would be missing a boob.

According to mythology, Amazons cut off one breast so they could aim bows better.

but unfortunately the game looks like it was drawn based off concepts sketched by a 12 year old autistic boy in math class.

I've SEEN sketches by autistic tweens, and trust me, this looks much better.
#7XSilverPhoenixXPosted 6/19/2012 1:27:53 AM
I don't think the game is detailed enough. The animation was too clunky as if it was a better version of Flash. A game like this would benefit from smoother movement as it only adds to detail.

The art style would be considered "painterly" but it doesn't pop off the screen with vibrancy. The paper cut-out effect bothers me, and I know that is something people like.

I just watched the trailer and there is nice animation in some of the characters but it's confined as if there is a barrier around the character so no animation extends outward. The game really would benefit from dynamic lighting and far better visual effects.

The world has a sort of pastel color muting, and it really needs something more along the lines of Trine and Trine 2 to breathe life into the environment. Don't get me wrong, there are things about the trailer that I like but it needs more to really shine.

It would be nice to see a revamped gameplay trailer with upgrades to everything.
#8HermanTuttlePosted 6/19/2012 1:31:13 AM
Marionette animation is what Vanillaware does, you can take it or leave it. It would be far too much work to draw unique angles for every single frame of animation, considering how detailed their characters are.
#9IsukunPosted 6/19/2012 7:04:15 AM
Movement is plenty smooth where it needs to be. The only places where movement isn't supplemented by a ton of tweens is during transitions and attacks, which is pretty much the way it works in all beat'em ups. The player has to be able to react to what the game throws at them and adding extra animation slows down response time.

And really, what exactly were you expecting on this? The characters DO pop. The attack animations connect, enemies react to being hit, there are impact effects and animations. The Trine backgrounds were distracting and made it easy to lose your characters in the bright colors. I'm glad they didn't go in that direction.

As for dynamic lighting, it's a 2D game. The characters do get darker or lighter depending on whether or not they are in the shadows or light. You can see that in the trailer. Anything beyond that is too complicated to be recreated in 2D and really, it's not that necessary in this kind of a game.
#10X_Masquerade_XPosted 6/19/2012 7:30:18 AM
I disagree TC, I like the look of the game.
Hopefully there will be some new info regarding pricing and delivery at TGS this year.
---
100% Unbiased
Now Playing: NG3, RE: ORC, Uncharted Vita, SFxT, Starhawk