Top 5 side scroller beat em ups of all time

#1BlackMetalisWarPosted 6/19/2012 3:13:09 PM
Since the game has been pushed back, this board is understandably dead...
So I thought I'd throw out a new topic. But I'm also curious what are peoples' personal favorite 2D beat em ups. What's your top 5?

Mine are:

1)Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara
2)Streets of Rage 2
3)King of Dragons
4)Streets of Rage 3
5)Alien vs Predator

And an honorable mention goes to "Warriors of Fate". One of the first ones I played in the arcades...good times.

Man, this game couldn't come any sooner, I'm dying for a new one in this genre!
---
Deathcore is garbage.
#2HermanTuttlePosted 6/19/2012 5:13:22 PM
1. Denjin Makai 2/Guardians
2. The Punisher
3. D&D: SOM
4. Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
5. SoR 2
#3TrueDozenMarksPosted 6/20/2012 7:33:55 AM
1. Final Fight
2. River City Ransom
3. Knights of Valor 2
4. King of Dragons
5. Shadow Over Mystara

I'm also a big fan of Bayou Billy because of how difficult it gets later on. Fun times.
#4IsukunPosted 6/20/2012 8:58:52 PM
Well, Guardian Heroes and Ragnarok Battle Offline rank as two of my favorites, but I'm not sure they really fit under the same genre since they use locked planes (although you can switch planes in Guardian Heroes, RBO is just a single plane, I still like the combos system, level system and skill trees, though).

For games more in the same genre as Dragon's Crown, probably Shadow Over Mystara, followed by Aliens vs. Predator, Battle Circuit, Armored Warriors, and Turtles in Time (arcade, not the stupidly easy console version).

I have to give Capcom some credit. Back in the day, they really did push the genre a lot harder than other companies of the time. Equipable weapons, useable items, loot and stores, gaining experience and levels and stats based on the pen and paper game for the D&D games. And everything was in the right abundance to make every item seem special. You had the interchangeable parts in Armored Warriors and the money system and the buyable special moves in Battle Circuit. I still play a lot of Aliens vs. Predator for the fast paced combo-oriented gameplay and the abundance of special weapons. I guess Turtles in Time I still enjoy for the nostalgia value, although the game was deeper than most other Konami beat'em ups. It still had the cheap as hell AI, though. Frustrating at times, but it made the game feel more rewarding than simply sliding through every fight in the SNES game.
#5HermanTuttlePosted 6/20/2012 11:34:21 PM(edited)
Back in the day, they really did push the genre a lot harder than other companies of the time.

Except Winky Soft's Denjin Makai 2 (1995) was light years ahead of anything Capcom or anyone else ever did with the genre. Eight characters, easily double or triple the normal amount of moves for all characters, balanced AI, a scoring system that rewards combo experimentation, and a detailed and completely original "90's sci-fi OVA" aesthetic. It's a crime against good taste that it went entirely ignored even in Japan.

The original Denjin Makai ain't bad either, though it's much more basic and has stolen graphics/sounds from Capcom games.
#6IsukunPosted 6/21/2012 6:52:21 AM
It's an alright game, I wouldn't count it in my top 5, though. The controls were too clunky for my tastes. Having a lot of specials is fine if you can find a good way to make it work with your control interface. I don't feel they pulled that off in Denjin Makai 2.
#7X_Masquerade_XPosted 6/21/2012 8:35:54 AM
HermanTuttle posted...
Except Winky Soft's Denjin Makai 2 (1995) was light years ahead of anything Capcom or anyone else ever did with the genre.

<3

so hardcore
---
100% Unbiased
Now Playing: NG3, RE: ORC, Uncharted Vita, SFxT, Starhawk
#82ndAtomiskPosted 6/21/2012 6:01:38 PM
1. Guilty Gear Judgment
2. Streets of Rage 2
3. Muramasa the Demon Blade
4. Revenge of Shinobi
5. Golden Axe
---
Virtua Fighter 5 FS out on PSN/XBL!!
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R confirmed for PSN/XBL
#9TopdrunkeePosted 6/28/2012 9:22:46 AM
Revenge of Shinobi is an action platformer. It's more comparable to Ninja Gaiden.
Although NG is superior. RoS had that pimp Yuzo Koshiro Genesis era ost tho'.

1)Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara
2)Streets of Rage 2
3)King of Dragons
4)Streets of Rage 3
5)Alien vs Predator

Tis a good list though I'm a bit "WTF!?" with the King of Dragons mention at number 3.
KOD is an awesome game. Definitely top 10 material. It was just more of a beta for the actual D&D beat em ups that came later.
My top 5 is similar to yours but I'd replace KOD with Night Slashers at No. 3.
I liked Cadillac & Dinosaurs far more than Aliens vs Predator but AvP did have a deeper combat system with actual special move inputs like a fighting game.
AvP also had badass bonus levels.

I find it interesting how nobody is listing Konami beat em ups but that's swell. I never liked them much anyway. Konami beat em ups were only good with 4 player co-op.
Even SNK rocked some better hack n slashes such as Sengoku 3.
---
t(-_-t) \(*o*)/ http://www.youtube.com/user/BoozeAholic http://www.paradisehotel51.com/
#10TaigaWilliamPosted 6/28/2012 12:14:01 PM
<_<
Thread needs more golden era Dungeon Fighter Online.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp28t1ir4f1qbily0o1_500.gif