Will new gear be visible when equipping?

#1synister666Posted 5/7/2013 8:28:43 AM
All the videos I've seen show all the characters in the same armor/clothes and using the same weapons. Will the new weapons and armor look different when equipping them or do the character models all the stay the same regardless of what you have equipped?

This may not be a big deal to some people but this has always been a pet peeve of mine when I get a new weapon and it doesn't change appearance on the character model. In this day and age that should not be a limitation anymore.
---
PSN: AstralSerpent
#2dragonking777Posted 5/7/2013 8:40:13 AM
I hope they do show up, at least the weapons, but I am leaning towards no.
#3xenosaga123Posted 5/7/2013 8:47:27 AM
This is handdrawn 2D frame by frame.

There's a reason why most 2D games don't have alternate costumes besides colors,

because they would have to redraw EVERY SINGLE FRAME for every single combination
of visible gear.

And each character has like hundreds of frames. and then multiply that by the amount
of loot/equippable gear this might have.

At most, different weapons/shields may be visible.
#4lokithefoolPosted 5/7/2013 8:47:36 AM
synister666 posted...
All the videos I've seen show all the characters in the same armor/clothes and using the same weapons. Will the new weapons and armor look different when equipping them or do the character models all the stay the same regardless of what you have equipped?

This may not be a big deal to some people but this has always been a pet peeve of mine when I get a new weapon and it doesn't change appearance on the character model. In this day and age that should not be a limitation anymore.

Honestly I think this will be one of the few failings of this game. Outside of the weapon changing I doubt we will be seeing any alteration to their main appearance considering how the game is essentially hand animated.
#5IsukunPosted 5/7/2013 8:51:29 AM
In one of the earlier developer interviews they mentioned it as something they would look into, but it sounded like it was more of a "if we have time" sort of thing. I doubt we'll see a visual change in anything apart from equipped weapons and pallet swaps for characters.
#6Raziel SetsunaPosted 5/7/2013 8:54:46 AM
Well, Grand Knights History had that to a certain degree, I don't see why this would be any different.
---
This is me, myself and yours not really.
#7xenosaga123Posted 5/7/2013 8:56:57 AM
it doesn't count as a failing though, even most of the biggest budget rpgs don't have anything visual for equipment other than weapons and shields (alternate costumes that aren't equipment related don't count.)

if people want full visible gear, well there's Skyrim, and them MMORPGs.

not every company has the budget, staff and development time to go that indepth in detail.

Heck, this team has to be saved by Atlus in order to complete this project.
#8zh_jiamingPosted 5/7/2013 9:02:09 AM
It'll most likely appear next to your portrait like in Odin Sphere. I am not convinced that the IGN previewer really was accurate. One item equip sounds plausible. A full set of gear to swap around on an inventory screen is a very different thing.
#9lokithefoolPosted 5/7/2013 9:07:18 AM
xenosaga123 posted...
it doesn't count as a failing though, even most of the biggest budget rpgs don't have anything visual for equipment other than weapons and shields (alternate costumes that aren't equipment related don't count.)

if people want full visible gear, well there's Skyrim, and them MMORPGs.

not every company has the budget, staff and development time to go that indepth in detail.

Heck, this team has to be saved by Atlus in order to complete this project.

While time, and budget are always a factor here. The actual method they used to make this game is essentially why cosmetic gear just wouldn't work. This game is practically a cartoon turned into a game. Thousands of tiny animations all meticulously hand drawn, and then programmed into a "character" is the reason why this game has such a radically unique appearance compared to anything else out there. Its also why it has been in development for over 5 years.

So in order for the characters to have cosmetic changes they would literally have had to animate the character wearing those clothes. Now with weapons there is a simple re-skinning tricks to get around this problem same thing with the color pallets for the characters. Still I like the way the characters look, and I hope you do to because outside of different pattern designs, and color they aren't going to be changing much.
#10synister666(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 4:06:31 PM
I guess that does make sense then for the gear they wear if there are too many character animations. I can get past that.

So the weapons will look different then? That's the main thing I'm concerned with. It just doesn't feel right when you get a new powerful weapon and then it looks exactly the same as the one you were just using. So that's doable then right?
---
PSN: AstralSerpent