Amazon's Parry Skill

#1skytrotPosted 7/28/2013 10:26:44 AM(edited)
Is the Parry Skill any good? Would it better to save up the points and rely on dodging instead?
I've read 4Gamer's guide and while it isn't one of their recommended skills, I'd like to know whether or not it's a worthy skill to invest in.

Thanks.
#2AmethystEndPosted 7/28/2013 10:23:40 AM
I've read it's worth at least 1 point into Parry level 1 so that you're at least able to activate it but that it's not worth investing a ton of skill points into.
---
The Distant Blue
#3rkenshin13Posted 7/28/2013 10:30:54 AM
I have always had problems with reactionary skills like Parry, I never bother with them.

And actually, parry is the Amazon's standard guard. The skill just improves upon it.
---
GT:RPGamer13
PSN: RPGamer13
#4BigWilliePlaysPosted 7/28/2013 10:40:19 AM
It's a playstyle choice. If you are really good at reading enemies despite all the chaos on screen, it is amazing.

I was using it to solo Vamp on hard earlier. She has a predictable melee that you can parry without any issues- that turns into 3.7 seconds of invinciblity which means a full combo and another level of berserk. Pulled it off twice in a row to reach max berserk state, and absolutely crushed her.

You can also use it to buy time to stand still and pop an item (like WAR PAINT!).

The issue is that you have to KNOW the enemies animations and AI and you have to be able to read them despite the chaos. I'd say it's an all or nothing thing. You're either looking for parries or you're not. If you're focused on dodging, the point is probably better elsewhere. It requires some skill to pull it off- really good for solo (true solo- as in no NPC allies either).

Hard to use, but what can you say? It literally makes you invincible if you're good with it. If you don't know the attacks / don't have the timing / can't keep up with all the madness going on, skip it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicNameBro
better to offer help to a troll than turn away a noob - PHoToS999
#5skytrot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2013 10:47:16 AM
Hmmm.... I won't say I'm the best at parrying in games but I'm pretty decent at it.

How would you say it compares to parrying in games like MGR and the Souls games? Is it much harder?
#6BigWilliePlaysPosted 7/28/2013 10:50:42 AM
It varies depending on the attack, but it's generally a lot easier than in Souls games. Most of the enemies have big, obvious windups on at least some of their attacks due to the nature of the game- those are the ones you parry.

On the other hand, Souls games don't have 5+ enemies and three other players on screen with a full screen blizzard obscuring your vision. I'm.... fairly decent.... at parrying in Dark Souls, and that's a lot of what got me to try it out with the Amazon. I don't regret it at all, particularly since I like to do some true solo for fun.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicNameBro
better to offer help to a troll than turn away a noob - PHoToS999
#7AmethystEndPosted 7/28/2013 10:56:30 AM
It's a playstyle choice. If you are really good at reading enemies despite all the chaos on screen, it is amazing.

I was using it to solo Vamp on hard earlier. She has a predictable melee that you can parry without any issues- that turns into 3.7 seconds of invinciblity which means a full combo and another level of berserk. Pulled it off twice in a row to reach max berserk state, and absolutely crushed her.

You can also use it to buy time to stand still and pop an item (like WAR PAINT!).

The issue is that you have to KNOW the enemies animations and AI and you have to be able to read them despite the chaos. I'd say it's an all or nothing thing. You're either looking for parries or you're not. If you're focused on dodging, the point is probably better elsewhere. It requires some skill to pull it off- really good for solo (true solo- as in no NPC allies either).

Hard to use, but what can you say? It literally makes you invincible if you're good with it. If you don't know the attacks / don't have the timing / can't keep up with all the madness going on, skip it.

Well you've convinced me to go balls deep into Parry when I start my Amazon (she'll be my 2nd character after Elf).
---
The Distant Blue
#8skytrot(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2013 10:57:49 AM
Hahaha that's exactly why I'm drawn to the Amazon as well! (apart from her awesome design)
Thanks!! Alright, Parry it is!!

Oh and thanks to all who replied! :D