I love how many of you do not seem to get it.

#1ChupacabrabraPosted 8/3/2013 3:23:42 AM
Yea, this is an art topic. Before i start, the art in this game, personally i do not have any problems with it whatsoever. I do however see why people would (regarding the female issue) because it is obvious as day, and i say..justfied i'll explain in a min. These people are jumped upon and called femanists, white knights, jealous(lol!) etc.No..just no.. Men and women are not depicted as equal in this game. (artwise)Women more look like sex objects and the males are not. people get offended by this. Duh.

Examples!

1.The sorc. Yea saw this coming from day one, and i get why people call it out. and rightfully so.What made me laugh is how someone made like this image that explains how she has big boobs, with lore and stuff to defend her design and depiction. And it is true, it does explain why she has big boobs.Nothing wrong with big boobs. It does however not explain why she has her big boobs hanging out, huge ass sticked out with a rod rammed between the cheeks and why she lifts her skirt to show a leg. This is simple sexification (This is a word now) of the female body. plain and simple. it's not just lol big boobs that is the issue to people here. Amazon, same sorta route.

2. Now somebody is sure to say " but look at the dwarf and the fighter!" They have these hyper bodies too. And that is true, they do, they however are not sexualized like their female counterparts. Example : the sorc has her boobs flippin and floppin all over the place. The dwarf however has no flopping junk, etc. Get it? Not equal. Just having hyperbodies is not the issue here, it is what they did with it. Don't get me started on the female npc's compared to the male ones. Again obvious guys.

3. What i am trying to say here..women in this game are sexualized far more then the man. I don't see why people try to deny this or defend this. It is true. However if you don't have a prob with it like i do, at least be willing to acknowledge why this is an issue to some people (specially women), like i can. And not because they are jealous (lol people who said that..fail) but because women have been depicted like this for long times and we are supposed to have gone beyond that by now. Much like slavery and such.That is what all the fuss is about. Because seriously some responses i see in topics about this and the denial just hurts my brain dudes.

Anyway, back to enjoying the game.
#2I_phantomPosted 8/3/2013 3:29:11 AM
Boy this is a new and exciting topic that doesn't retread the same ground at all. Never has anyone else expressed that women might possibly be portrayed as sex objects and I'm glad you brought it to light for the rest of us to see.
---
'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what.
#3Crazy HitmanPosted 8/3/2013 3:32:00 AM
That dead horse is looking awfully beat up. Maybe you should give it a rest. There are chunks of horse meat and maggots everywhere.
---
"It's Saturday night, I have no date, a 2-liter bottle of Shasta, and my all Rush mix tape... Let's rock." -Fry-
#4Sanger_ZPosted 8/3/2013 3:39:48 AM
Everyone is tired of this now man, just stop.
---
The Painwheel fan
"Even Edinorog thirst for blood!" Zenia Valov
#5YHWHPosted 8/3/2013 3:48:59 AM(edited)
The game was made in Japan, for a predominantly male Japanese audience, a different gaming culture and a different set of political correctness.

You know that culture? The one with the all-girl-idol groups with mostly age 30-40s something men fanboying them? The one with all those visual novels, some of which are even erotic? The one where plenty of anime has "fanservice?" And so on.

Get that through that thick skull of yours.
#6SykoslocosXRZPosted 8/3/2013 3:49:08 AM
no-one that matters cares about this
---
"First comes smiles, then comes lies. Last is gunfire." - Roland
#7SaviorGabrielPosted 8/3/2013 4:03:03 AM
I just don't get how a games like Dead or Alive do this, and do it far far worse, but Dragon's Crown is the one that gets singled out.
---
"I am defeated, and know it, if I meet any human being from whom I find myself unable to learn anything." --George Herbert Palmer
#8werasdzxcPosted 8/3/2013 4:04:50 AM
SaviorGabriel posted...
I just don't get how a games like Dead or Alive do this, and do it far far worse, but Dragon's Crown is the one that gets singled out.

No one ever talks about the elf, so it must be because DC boobs make DOA boobs jelly.
---
Speedwagon withdraws coolly.
#9YHWHPosted 8/3/2013 4:06:56 AM
SaviorGabriel posted...

Dragon's Crown stayed under the radar until several articles on Kotaku involving one writer and the president of Vanillaware himself.
#10hyperknees91Posted 8/3/2013 4:15:56 AM(edited)
I dunno I got no problem with the art I think people put too much thought into it. It's a brawler about characters doing incredibly over-the-top tasks in a incredibly over the top way. So it's not really unfitting for the character designs to be a incredibly over the top as well. Though I can see how people find the art style is unappealing, but not sure how they find it offensive.

I would play the Sorcerous by the way. She's kind of...mesmerizing to me if you know what I mean. Plus her gameplay seems fun so I'm all for it. The amazon does make me laugh with her extreme chun-li thighs though, but it's all in good fun. I really don't think the developers were trying to be sexist as the Elf and Wizard are there and they are both perfectly normal really. Just trying to give a little bit of wish fulfillment to the players, nothing wrong with that.

If people got a problem with women being used as "sex objects" I wonder how they view pron or any sort of nude female image on the internet. I mean...that's what it's for. Nothing wrong with that as it's there to fulfill a persons fantasy's, as long as a person just leaves it at that, a fantasy. People don't go around bashing people's heads in real life just because they like to see it in video games (or do it themselves in video games). It's the same deal here.

Basically all I'm trying to say is, if you find the art style unappealing fine, but there really is no reason to be offended by it.
---
oof