How's the Wizard ?

#1Zetta_SIowPosted 8/7/2013 11:49:32 AM
Haven't started the game yet but intend to. Looking to main the Magus-esque looking dood, Mr. Wizard.

So from the veterans who have played him significantly, how is he overall ? Individually and then compared to the other classes ?
---
So Zetta Slow.
PSN - Zettaslow
#2DarkHeroZXPosted 8/7/2013 12:00:49 PM
extremely good but its just that he doesn't get good until lvl 30+. Majority of his spells are either terrible or far too weak when you get them at lvl 1

The spell Slow is worthless until you max it and cyclone barely does damage until lvl 4 or 5

His main staff attacks are extremely good however, but his Major magic(circle button) takes mana points. You can recharge mana points by holding the square button but it means instead of combos your staying in the back recharging then attack for a few seconds then charging once more.
---
"I do a lot of push ups and sit-ups and I drink plenty of juice"-Vegeta
#3deadpool_legendPosted 8/7/2013 12:01:38 PM
I haven't played him significantly but I'm at level 30 (the level cap for the first run, or Normal, is 35) and he's pretty good. I mean I can't compare him to the others, but other than the first boss fight where you don't have any companions, the game has generally been incredibly easy. I've only had to revive myself using cash once.
---
"Hairy Zeus on a traffic light!"
-Deadpool, Issue #3
#4SieKensouPosted 8/7/2013 12:02:10 PM
nuker.
---
Tear Grants: Yappari Kawaiii~! <3<3<3
Want/Interested/Recommended Games: http://artonelico.isisview.org/viewtopic.php?p=362462#p362462
#5squiggy9996999Posted 8/7/2013 12:02:42 PM
he's so wizard...
---
I want to agree with you but then we'd BOTH be wrong...
#6MuflagginPosted 8/7/2013 12:05:04 PM
extremely good but its just that he doesn't get good until lvl 30+. Majority of his spells are either terrible or far too weak when you get them at lvl 1

The spell Slow is worthless until you max it and cyclone barely does damage until lvl 4 or 5

His main staff attacks are extremely good however, but his Major magic(circle button) takes mana points. You can recharge mana points by holding the square button but it means instead of combos your staying in the back recharging then attack for a few seconds then charging once more.

lowlut. Slow is amazing, even the first level of it. It's a boss destroyer. The fact that it's THAT effective right out the gate (and you get 4 uses instead of the usual 3) is amazing. Cyclone seems like it's better for clearing mobs and whatnot. Not great for a boss fight I'd imagine.
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule
#7MuflagginPosted 8/7/2013 12:05:36 PM
I haven't played him significantly but I'm at level 30 (the level cap for the first run, or Normal, is 35) and he's pretty good. I mean I can't compare him to the others, but other than the first boss fight where you don't have any companions, the game has generally been incredibly easy. I've only had to revive myself using cash once.

That was the hardest part for me. That very first stage on your own. Man that was rough. The moment you get another ally it's Breeze City.
---
"In the real world. You see that's where most people live and that's where Lara Croft is more well-known than Mario." - LuminescentRule
#8wolfy42Posted 8/7/2013 12:06:14 PM
Actually I found wizard the easiest class to start off with excepting only maybe the amazon.

Slow (which you get really fast) I believe starts off reducing enemy speed to 60% (so a 40% reduction). Don't remember what level you get it but it's almost right away. That is great vs bosses if you have AI companions especially.

Meanwhile you get some quite nice spells you can use...even early on. Tornado isn't that high damage initially it's true, but lightning bolt, fire blast etc all do quite decent damage...and can take out bosses quickly if you save them for the end fight.

Your circle spells vary depending on the elemental staff you use, but with Levitate (again almost right away) giving a damage boost to all spells, you can actually pound most enemies to dust just with your circle spells (then recharge after battle before moving on). Many of your circle spells are AOE, or at least long line attack spells, letting you take out many enemies at once...making for very nice/fast killing of groups of monsters getting to the boss.

Of the ranged attack characters....wizard I believe starts out the strongest by far. Way better then elf....and better then sorc. I highly recommend it for your first character playthrough.
---
No duckies, just drowning.
#9Zetta_SIow(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2013 12:06:31 PM
Thanks for the helpful responses (comedic efforts also appreciated). I guess reading down another thread about how supposedly OP the elf/amazon are, it was a bit discouraging seeing the Wizard downplayed :/
---
So Zetta Slow.
PSN - Zettaslow
#10MuflagginPosted 8/7/2013 11:06:33 PM
Thanks for the helpful responses (comedic efforts also appreciated). I guess reading down another thread about how supposedly OP the elf/amazon are, it was a bit discouraging seeing the Wizard downplayed :/

Ignore that thread. Play who you want and build how you want. That's just some dumb min/max nonsense.
---