PS3 vs Vita version of Dragon's Crown

#1orestes1981Posted 8/8/2013 8:17:44 AM
To start off, I have both copies of the game since it does not allow cross-buy. Technically, I have three since I bought two copies of the Vita version for me and my wife.

Everything is almost equal.

Both games look beautiful with the animation. Their are differences, though.

On the PS3, the local co-op only unlocks trophies for the controlling account. Ad-hoc, which is available when you unlock the stables, allows trophies to be unlocked on both accounts. If you and a friend/girlfriend/wife have a vita, this would be the way to go. So, I would take this as a wash.

Slowdown, the PS3 version runs smoothly since it was a port. The Vita version does have a little slowdown, but there are not any lost frames of animation. It will chug when there is too much action on the screen.

Picking up treasure and unlocking chests/doors, this where the Vita version is far superior, and I do not know why this isn't pointed out more. You can just tap the screen on the vita. With the PS3, you have to use the right stick to guide a cursor. After that you have to hit the R3 (pressing in the right analog stick) to unlock it. This is by far the more cumbersome way to play it.

So, you get slight slowdown and touchscreen vs no slowdown and no touchscreen, I have to side with the Vita version. I feel it is the superior version of the game.
---
Cappin' thine enemy isn't something Jesus would do, it's what Suge Knight would do.
-Bill Maher
#2LLink2411Posted 8/8/2013 8:20:39 AM
Is couch co-op and a clunky "pointer" interface worth the extra $10 for the PS3 version?
---
Cognitive Dissonance, do you have it? If so, you aren't alone here on GameFAQs; not even close:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/652686-the-last-of-us/66482444
#3AngelicSerenadePosted 8/8/2013 8:21:04 AM
Should also note that ps3 version has much higher resolution...
---
PSN: UmaiCake
#4orestes1981(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2013 8:23:15 AM
AngelicSerenade posted...

But, it is only matters if you have a bigger TV.

You cannot tell the difference on the small Vita screen.

I have a 92" 1080p HDTV, and I cannot tell the difference.
---
Cappin' thine enemy isn't something Jesus would do, it's what Suge Knight would do.
-Bill Maher
#5R_Fated_CirclePosted 8/8/2013 8:25:23 AM
yeah but i'd take the slight inconvenience of opening doors and treasure to slowdown, it's not like you have to be super fast to open the doors or boxes anyway so it's no race. Where as slowdown well that's just 100% negative nothing good about it.
---
Where's your passion fight like you mean it! "Hilde - Soul Calibur V"
#6orestes1981(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2013 8:27:04 AM
R_Fated_Circle posted...
yeah but i'd take the slight inconvenience of opening doors and treasure to slowdown, it's not like you have to be super fast to open the doors or boxes anyway so it's no race. Where as slowdown well that's just 100% negative nothing good about it.

It doesn't result in loss frames, and it isn't game-breaking slowdown.
---
-Bill Maher
#7AngelicSerenadePosted 8/8/2013 8:29:16 AM
orestes1981 posted...
AngelicSerenade posted...

But, it is only matters if you have a bigger TV.

You cannot tell the difference on the small Vita screen.

I have a 92" 1080p HDTV, and I cannot tell the difference.

I played the ps3 version on a 1080p 24" monitor, and I can tell a big difference =/
The artwork and sprites look more detailed since the resolution is (obviously) higher

Also touching the screen in the midst of battle means that your finger obscures the screen, I find that most of the time I use the R-stick on the Vita for making runes anyways.

Though on the other hand, portability is a big deal and I'd say that's the main reason to get the Vita version. That and being able to play with friends with Vitas
---
PSN: UmaiCake
#8orestes1981(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2013 8:29:18 AM
It will take more time to use the R3 to tap out treasure and chests than it would take from slowdown itself.

Having to stop and tap stuff out breaks up the flow, if you have slowdown in a game, especially a well programmed game, it means the **** is really hitting the fan.
---
-Bill Maher
#9Questioner7311Posted 8/8/2013 8:33:40 AM
You can use L1 to tap while moving the cursor with the right thumbstick. That's what I do.
---
PSN: FeatherFang
Old memories seldom fade and bad habits die hard
#10RankorrPosted 8/8/2013 8:38:06 AM
orestes1981 posted...
R_Fated_Circle posted...

It doesn't result in loss frames, and it isn't game-breaking slowdown.

Another score for the PS3 version though is that the JPN version upcoming/released patch makes it now so that you only have to hover the mouse cursor over the treasures instead of clicking on them. I guess I can't say for 100% that this patch will hit NA DC....but I'd bet money on it =P

Also, saying slowdown isn't game breaking is not true for everyone! >___< *twitch* But yeah, I actually did the exact same as you TC. I bought two Vita versions and one PS3 version. The other Vita version for my bro.