More Pikmin 3 Ideas

#491Sparx401Posted 8/2/2011 2:26:26 AM(edited)
I don't know why we need to go to new planets when we haven't even covered 1/40 of the Pikmin Planet. Seriously, one area is roughly the size of my living room and kitchen combined, and I live on the small island of Oahu. Why the need to suddenly transition to multiple planets? Why not just multiple locales on the same planet? It's too big of a gap. I can see maybe in the future when we get to Pikmin 47 or something, but for now, it seems certain people fail to realize exactly how small the areas are.

I mean, just look at how small the Valley of Repose is:

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080722202046/pikmin/images/e/e8/Nemuri_snap.jpg

It's not even 1/3 of a regular full-sized street!

Also, I'm probably not going to "full-on" critique as much since I'm working on a Flash game via the Flixel framework; it's based on a dream I had about a week ago.
---
My blog - No BS - Open to Criticism: http://sparx401.blogspot.com/
Pikmin 3 idea almost finished. Current Status: 120 pages
#492PokemonRanger45Posted 8/2/2011 4:03:02 AM
Well like before I think 3 old Pikmin (not red blue and yellow for all of them) and 2 new Pikmin so there can be 20 of each Pikmin type. Gravity changes could be nice and maybe have something in the air that makes some Pikmin stronger or maybe mutate them while still being there colour Pikmin
#493OathToOblivionPosted 8/2/2011 11:24:48 AM
Saw this in a really old fanfiction I once read, this is not mine and you can find this creature at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2700345/16/Pikmin_Worlds :

Bludgeoning Blitzard
Malacoda Plagosus
The first reptilian species encountered on the planet, the Bludgeoning Blitzard is smarter than most species on the planet, as they first pick off the Pikmin, and then head for the Captain(s). It can grab its tail with it's mouth and make a big spiky wheel that attacks similarly to the Segmented Crawbster. It generally spends its time in sandy areas, where it digs a small burrow and hunts on small nocturnal creatures similar to the Dune Burrownit, sand-going relative of the Cloaking Burrownit. It's weakpoint is on its neck and the full description can be found in the above link.
---
Are you kidding me? What could possibly go wrong?!
#494Sparx401Posted 8/2/2011 7:04:17 PM
@PokemonRanger45

Yeah, but you didn't answer my problem that I brought up with it. Your reasoning, while with good intentions, doesn't take what I just said into account here. The thing with game design and software engineering in general is that you have to look at all aspects of project, and how adding, removing, and modifying features, story, and gameplay mechanics change other variables on both a micro and macro level. Again, I reiterate, why can't there just be different regions? What's the point of going to a different planet with different gravity for the sole purpose of changing the throwing height of pikmin for? It's like using a machine gun to kill a fly; it's just overkill.
---
#4950Nintendo0Posted 8/2/2011 7:09:36 PM
@Sparx

So,would it still be overkill if you had more places than Pikmin 2 had?Or increasing the size of each place?
---
Sir,I don't know who you are,but just because you and your friends have mustaches,that doesn't mean that you can go snooping around in my plumbing pipes!
#496Sparx401Posted 8/2/2011 7:19:29 PM
It wouldn't be overkill if you had more areas or regions, or even separate the game into two story arcs (though not necessarily separate and mutually exclusive to each other) so that the second story arc occurs on, say, another hemisphere or on an island across the land mass that has the first story arc's regions (an island in and of itself can easily contain four different and unique regions).

What I'm contending with has nothing to do with the amount of areas/levels, but the simple fact that the series is just going to make a sudden jump to other planets. At least with the Metroid series, Samus actually ventures ALL across the planet, so when Metroid Prime 3 rolled around, it wasn't that big of a deal. Here, Olimar and the Pikmin are incredibly small, so it just wouldn't make sense for them to go planet-hopping when we've only seen just a small fraction of a fraction of a fraction of the Distant Planet.
---
#4970Nintendo0Posted 8/2/2011 9:48:19 PM
Does that mean that Planet Hocotate is really as big as the Distant Planet? While I'm on the subject,I want Nintendo to explain exactly how far away the Distant Planet is.I mean,is it like 12 feet away in reality?
---
Sir,I don't know who you are,but just because you and your friends have mustaches,that doesn't mean that you can go snooping around in my plumbing pipes!
#498Sparx401Posted 8/3/2011 1:39:52 AM
They're PLANETS, they can't be 12 feet away. :/
---
#499PokemonRanger45Posted 8/3/2011 2:25:02 AM
If Olimar was interested in finding the entire planet he wouldn't have gone to the Distant Spring the Forest of Hope and the Impact Site in Pikmin2. and with the area changes there's no way he'll leave the part with said areas. I said the ship could detect Pikmin on other planets since Olimar would probably want to investigate. its not just for gravity changes. There could be something in the air that mutates certain Pikmin while still being red blue yellow etc
#500Sparx401Posted 8/3/2011 5:39:23 AM
If Olimar was interested in finding the entire planet he wouldn't have gone to the Distant Spring the Forest of Hope and the Impact Site in Pikmin2.

The reason he went there because the coordinates came from the two geographic projection items you obtain in the Valley of Repose and Awakening Wood; on top of that, there's tons of treasure to collect; Olimar isn't going there simply because he's interested in looking around; I've never even remotely implied that he did, I mean, did you even pay attention to Pikmin 2's basic plot?

...and with the area changes there's no way he'll leave the part with said areas.

And why not? He as a space ship, he could land anywhere, and the writers / developers can easily put pikmin and onions in other places; your arguments make no sense.

I said the ship could detect Pikmin on other planets since Olimar would probably want to investigate. its not just for gravity changes. There could be something in the air that mutates certain Pikmin while still being red blue yellow etc

The point is that you're trying to implement different ideas by doing the most inane thing possible; it's just downright nonsensical to believe, as you state, that Olimar somehow "can't" go to different regions of the Distant Planet, yet is able to venture to other other Earth-like planets with ridiculous Sy-Fy original-movie standard "air mutations".

On that note:

</end topic>
---