As far as ideas go, three words: More ship functionality

#1Boo DestroyerPosted 6/23/2011 9:33:28 PM(edited)
Maybe the ship or its pod can do a few tasks that take some extra elbow grease to fulfill.

All at the cost of fuel, which can be replenished by getting Pikmin to carry fuel tanks around back to it.

One of them can be a crane arm to lift much heavier things and move things (and only used at such points), I think.

And the rest............

I............I........I'm seriously drawing a blank here. (That's how perfect Pikmin 2 was anyway) You can fill in on it, I suppose.
#2WaterDumplePosted 6/23/2011 11:11:24 PM
Oh yeah, that would definitely work well, depending on the direction Pikmin 3 goes in. If it's more RTS-like, then the ship could do more than just be a base by performing functions or affecting the terrain.

But if Pikmin 3 doesn't go in any direction at all and just clones 1 or 2, then it wouldn't fit in right.
---
There is a high statistical probability of death by gunshot.
A punch to the face is also likely.
#3Boo Destroyer(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2011 11:19:04 PM
WaterDumple posted...
But if Pikmin 3 doesn't go in any direction at all and just clones 1 or 2, then it wouldn't fit in right.

I wouldn't really be surprised if it does end up doing just that.
#4WaterDumplePosted 6/23/2011 11:21:28 PM
Yes, it's quite likely if Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda are any indication of how Nintendo makes sequels.

The exact same way, typically.
---
#5ArtOfWarfarePosted 6/24/2011 7:30:07 AM
Boo Destroyer posted...
One of them can be a crane arm to lift much heavier things and move things (and only used at such points), I think.

Your ship doesn't move much... I don't see what value a crane arm would have for it.

I also dislike the idea of pikmin carrying barrels of oil around for several reasons, one of which is the fact that you're saying that this species capable of intergalactic travel relied on oil, a fossil fuel which is for all intents and purposes, a limited resource, to travel between solar systems.

In some future where space travel is possible, do you really think we'll still be using oil? Even the most conservative estimates say the oil is gone within a century.

Anyways... what else could the space ship do that it doesn't already do? It could fly to the parts rather than have the pikmin carry the parts to it, but then there goes a huge part of the game. It could have the ability to shoot the creatures around it or something, but they never come near the ship anyways. I really can't think of anything the ship can do that it doesn't do already.
#6TNintendominatePosted 6/24/2011 8:30:31 AM
Y so serious, Dumple?

But, back on topic- there's nothing really else he ship can do without A) just putting in some minor change (i.e. shoots neraby enemies) or B) Cutting out portions of gameplay (i.e. flying to parts). Meh. :\

But, the reason I really posted here- Dumple, you're pretty negative. If Nintendo makes sequels the same, how come all the games don't have the exact same gameplay in Zelda and Mario (I admit that Pokemon is the EXACT SAME every game)? If they were all the same, would SKyward Sword be receiving so much praise for it's gameplay changes? SM64 revolutionized gameplay, it was nowhere NEAR the same as Super Mario World. I'd just like to see more of what you mean by 'Nintendo makes sequels the exact same way', because I highly disagree (except with Pokemon, the only one I own is Battle Revolution and sadly it's more rewarding than the others).
---
---Why is there a hippie on a flying carpet in the desert in my Zelda game?!---
#7Boo Destroyer(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2011 8:36:27 AM
@ArtofWarfare: Yeah, this is why I said Pikmin 2 was already that much of a perfect game, and then just blanked out at the ship ideas. Adding anything more may be even more tricky, so it could possibly be tough for 3 to top 2 in that regard.

@TNintendominate: What he was getting at was that most Nintendo series tend to follow the exact same formula with everything, only adding a few things that don't add to much with each passing installment. As in, Super Mario Galaxy 2 - even with all the things it added - is still not that much different from the first game, by and large.

To be frank, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart are the worst offenders of this. They have every chance to make more evolutionary progress, but never do.
#8TNintendominatePosted 6/24/2011 3:57:40 PM
^Eh, I guess. Just kinda... (I don't want to use depressing or sad, but I can't find the right word)... dpressing when you think about it, that they're just adding and not reallt changing. Meh. Atleast Super Mario and Skyward Sword show some new promise... I mean, Link can jump and dash in this one! That's a game-changer! :O

Just kidding. Still, I just hope that Nintendo does break out of that little trend.
---
---Why is there a hippie on a flying carpet in the desert in my Zelda game?!---
#9WaterDumplePosted 6/24/2011 8:00:17 PM
Boo Destroyer posted...
@TNintendominate: What he was getting at was that most Nintendo series tend to follow the exact same formula with everything, only adding a few things that don't add to much with each passing installment. As in, Super Mario Galaxy 2 - even with all the things it added - is still not that much different from the first game, by and large.

Pretty much. Adding new gameplay features to a very old and simple formula isn't really changing much; it's certainly better than nothing, but it doesn't actually make for a different game. Just a different sequel number.

And if you want an example of why it will always be that way, look at the way everyone b****ed at Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts just for trying something new. No, it wasn't the exact same damn thing Rare had done twice on the N64. It was still a very original game. I'm quite forgiving to developers who try something different, even if they fail in the end--Because they are the ones who push the industry forward, not the people who inevitably rip them off once the innovators finally nail down a success.

Pikmin was one such innovation when it came out. I really wish it had sold better and had more of a name, but perhaps Pikmin 3 can accomplish that.
---
#10RobJ23Posted 6/27/2011 7:08:26 PM

That would just make the game too easy. Pikmin are used to break down walls, make bridges, etc.