As far as ideas go, three words: More ship functionality

#21ArtOfWarfarePosted 7/6/2011 9:21:44 AM
We've strayed a good deal off topic. Here are some ideas for new ship functionality:

The ability to fly it from one landing spot to another, possibly mid-day. The levels could be big enough that having just one landing site wouldn't be feasible for getting all the treasure to the ship.

In addition to making the sprays from berries for the captains to use, it could also produce bomb rocks (maybe from another type of berry?) that a type of pikmin, often proposed as orange, could carry around and use.

The ability for a captain to enter and fly it around for an overhead view of a level. It's better than the radar because you can actually see where all the enemies and treasures are.

Thoughts and comments?
---
My stylish, arcade-style game Egg Drop! is available to download to the iPhone, iPad, & iPod Touch
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/egg-drop/id443347380?mt=8
#22Boo Destroyer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2011 1:30:49 PM
ArtOfWarfare posted...
The ability to fly it from one landing spot to another, possibly mid-day. The levels could be big enough that having just one landing site wouldn't be feasible for getting all the treasure to the ship.

If the areas are that much bigger, then this has to be a must. I approve.

In addition to making the sprays from berries for the captains to use, it could also produce bomb rocks (maybe from another type of berry?) that a type of pikmin, often proposed as orange, could carry around and use.

Not bad. If they can be obtained by berries, then how can the amount you have be distributed to these Pikmin?

The ability for a captain to enter and fly it around for an overhead view of a level. It's better than the radar because you can actually see where all the enemies and treasures are.

Well, I think the map can be improved like that, viewing it on the Wii U controller.
#23ArtOfWarfarePosted 7/7/2011 7:38:53 AM
Boo Destroyer posted...

Not bad. If they can be obtained by berries, then how can the amount you have be distributed to these Pikmin?

Ten berries (or whatever the necessary resource is,) get carried to the rocket, if a bomb rock carrying pikmin is standing nearby, a bomb is shot out of the exhaust pipe of the ship at him for him to catch and carry, if there isn't one standing nearby, the bomb just drops out of the exhaust pipe and a bomb carrying pikmin may automatically pick it up whenever he passes by.
---
My stylish, arcade-style game Egg Drop! is available to download to the iPhone, iPad, & iPod Touch
#24Sparx401Posted 7/7/2011 5:49:28 PM

I like this idea. It would be similar to Metroid Prime 3 in that respect, but I don't think it would be unoriginal, at least in the context of this series. Perhaps you'd have to "set up" the other landing site by having your pikmin work on the soil/ground to make the patterns that you always see, and that opens up the landing site for you.

Or just have a particular spray that would make orange/green/whatever-color pikmin hold explosive goop/nectar in their flower/bud perhaps?

I think the radar is fine enough. I liked exploring the levels...especially from the shoulder point-of-view! The Wii U controller could make a more expansive map.

Ten berries (or whatever the necessary resource is,) get carried to the rocket, if a bomb rock carrying pikmin is standing nearby, a bomb is shot out of the exhaust pipe of the ship at him for him to catch and carry, if there isn't one standing nearby, the bomb just drops out of the exhaust pipe and a bomb carrying pikmin may automatically pick it up whenever he passes by.

Yeah, I guess that can work too! :)
---
My blog - No BS - Open to Criticism: http://sparx401.blogspot.com/
Pikmin 3 idea almost finished. Current Status: 95 pages
#25ArtOfWarfarePosted 7/7/2011 6:44:33 PM
Sparx401 posted...

Or just have a particular spray that would make orange/green/whatever-color pikmin hold explosive goop/nectar in their flower/bud perhaps?

Get a group of 100 oranges, use one spray on them all, have 100 bomb rocks ready for usage, yeah, that's not OP. It'd be seriously fun though xD

Or a variation on that idea, the oranges could have the bombs built right into them, and they need a spray to activate the bomb. Spray them, and you have 100 living bombs to swarm enemies with. So much more useful than the poisonous whites xD
---
#26Sparx401Posted 7/7/2011 7:14:34 PM
I said explosive goop, not bomb rocks. >_> The implication being that they would have different hit properties and strength than bomb rocks. That, or just have bomb rocks have different properties altogether. Even if you did have a group of 100 orange pikmin with bomb rocks, what good does that do if it's so hard to manage, especially if you consider areas with tight corridors, potential hazards that would make them drop/set off their bombs, causing multiple chain reactions, and decimating the entire team.

On the other hand, having stone gates that take a TON of bomb rocks to take down would mean you'd have to conserve and not waste them on enemies too much. Still, I understand the obvious need for a limitation somehow, but also depends on surrounding factors.

So much more useful than the poisonous whites xD

Man, I've never been a fan of harvesting white pikmin for the purpose of feeding them to enemies; I've never been a fan of pikmin deaths period. :D
---
My blog - No BS - Open to Criticism: http://sparx401.blogspot.com/
Pikmin 3 idea almost finished. Current Status: 95 pages