My Personal idea for a Pikmin 3 plot.

#1AvatarOfBaganPosted 6/24/2011 12:29:17 AM
This came about while playing Pikmin 2 earlier today. I'll try to make it easy to read.

---

Plot: Olimar and family are wealthy, Olimar is famed as a great explorer. A research team approches Olimar and asks him to go to the planet again so that they can collect data on the native life forms (AKA, similar to cateloging creatures in Pikmin 2, kill one, take a specimen back.). Olimar is willing to do so and off he goes.

As he attempts to make planetfall, his ship gets damaged, system for life support gets damaged, as well as his communicative system, making him forced to try and find parts (ala Pikmin 1) before his time expires, the final part being the long range radio trancever so he can contact the ship in orbit to call for help (the engine being too badly damaged, even after retrieval, to achieve anything more then basic lift like an airplane, meaning he NEEDS to contact the vessel. Why are they not trying to contact him? Low Planitary magnetic field causes distortion unless Olimar is in low orbit, and until he has the final part, he can't send or recieve the messages. if they don't hear from Olimar in X number of days, the expedition is considered a casualty and they leave).

AFTER THIS PART IS DONE:

Revisit makes more places show up on the visiting map, as well as the added ability to stay for as long as you want.

This makes use of both the mechanic for Pikmin 1 with a time limit ,and the unlimited exploration of Pikmin 2.

yes yes, I'm sure Nintendo can come up with a better idea then I can and a more solid plot.
---
"Nonsense, Bagan cannot be defeated". - Aliens: Super Godzilla
Kool Frostbyte - XBL gamer tag.
#2RetroYoshi4191Posted 6/24/2011 9:01:26 PM
It's that same old "collect specimens" concept that's becoming unoriginal.

Adding ship piece collecting to it all isn't original or fun. It already happened, and Olimar wouldn't make such a fool mistake ever again.

Not a masterpiece at all. I wish I could support or encourage you here, but I see no potential in you. But it's hard to tell all in a single message, so don't let this shoot you down.
---
I drink my soda in a wine glass.
#3AvatarOfBagan(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2011 11:18:03 PM
RetroYoshi4191 posted...
It's that same old "collect specimens" concept that's becoming unoriginal.

Adding ship piece collecting to it all isn't original or fun. It already happened, and Olimar wouldn't make such a fool mistake ever again.

Not a masterpiece at all. I wish I could support or encourage you here, but I see no potential in you. But it's hard to tell all in a single message, so don't let this shoot you down.

As I said, my plot is pretty pathetic.

WHat I'm mainly trying to say is that, people here are arguing between having a timed campaign, or a limitless one. Why not both?

Have it start timed like Pikmin 1, but when you suceed in getting... "all parts" or whatever the objective is, the "special" ending is acess to 2 new areas and continuation of whatever goal was set for the visit to earth in the first place.
---
"Nonsense, Bagan cannot be defeated". - Aliens: Super Godzilla
Kool Frostbyte - XBL gamer tag.
#4monkeypeelPosted 6/30/2011 9:25:06 PM
The only bad thing about pikmin 1 was the time limit, but the plot was simple and sweet, lands on a distant planet, wild creatures all over, pikmin to join the mission and exploration, get the ship repaired.

The 2nd one was just dumb.....ok so now olimar is all about the company, all about makin money, profiting from his first journey and pleasing his effin boss. Ridiculous.

Really....all pikmin 3 should have for a plot is some excuse for being on the pikmin planet. It could be there are a few close planets nearby olimar wants to explore, or he just decides to go on a mission helping the pikmin and exploring the other side of the pikmin planet. And turns out theres a bunch of scrap that he can use to improve his spaceship (ok maybe even find a safe level on the planet where olimar creates a house and you add to it).
#5Sparx401Posted 6/30/2011 10:47:18 PM
The 2nd one was just dumb.....ok so now olimar is all about the company, all about makin money, profiting from his first journey and pleasing his effin boss. Ridiculous.

Yes, making money by selling "treasure"...to pay off the company debt. I'd take that plot over some evil villain taking over the Pikmin Planet with Dark Pikmin any day. Also, there's nothing in the game indicating that Olimar is kissing up to his boss; he's just following orders...on top of that, the company that he works for and gets his paycheck from is in jeopardy. Also, way to forget about the "plot twist" where they go back to find Louie.

Really....all pikmin 3 should have for a plot is some excuse for being on the pikmin planet. It could be there are a few close planets nearby olimar wants to explore, or he just decides to go on a mission helping the pikmin and exploring the other side of the pikmin planet. And turns out theres a bunch of scrap that he can use to improve his spaceship (ok maybe even find a safe level on the planet where olimar creates a house and you add to it).

So basically there's no point and no motivation to go to the planet except for the main character just wanting to go back. There's no sense of urgency; there's no real "goal" aside from improving his spaceship. That sounds more akin to an Animal Crossing "plot" than either Pikmin 1 or Pikmin 2's stories.
---
My blog - No BS - Open to Criticism: http://sparx401.blogspot.com/
Pikmin 3 idea almost finished. Current Status: 95 pages
#6monkeypeelPosted 7/1/2011 10:52:11 PM
Yes, making money by selling "treasure"...to pay off the company debt. I'd take that plot over some evil villain taking over the Pikmin Planet with Dark Pikmin any day. Also, there's nothing in the game indicating that Olimar is kissing up to his boss; he's just following orders ...on top of that, the company that he works for and gets his paycheck from is in jeopardy.

Olimar, is a slave to his company and doesnt want to get fired? Or maybe its more like Olimar wanted to go back, it sure seems like he enjoys exploring, and being around pikmin.

So basically there's no point and no motivation to go to the planet except for the main character just wanting to go back. There's no sense of urgency; there's no real "goal" aside from improving his spaceship. That sounds more akin to an Animal Crossing "plot" than either Pikmin 1 or Pikmin 2's stories.

Yea actually thats what I was getting at, pikmin doesnt need much of a plot. Add some sense of urgency yes, but it doesn't have to be big....did it really feel urgent to collect all that garbage for the company? ummm no not really. In that sense, your collecting to collect basically. Its not til later that the goal is to rescue your partner, but even then its not a big deal at all because you now have a new fat partner who can help just as much as louie did. And once you save him, the plot doesnt make it seem like the game has ended....because the main point of pikmin is not plot/storyline, its exploration, discovery, new pikmin, new monsters.
#7Sparx401Posted 7/2/2011 2:37:08 AM(edited)
Olimar, is a slave to his company and doesnt want to get fired?

Yeah, it's called hyperbole, not literal slavery with horrible conditions. He still has time for his family, which, by the way, would be a good reason to NOT get fired.

Or maybe its more like Olimar wanted to go back, it sure seems like he enjoys exploring, and being around pikmin.

I see no contradiction between Olimar working tirelessly for the sake of his family (through saving his employer), and him enjoying his time with pikmin while he's there for "work-related" business. Also, if it seems like he's enjoying it (which he is), then why did you complain that he was only there to please his boss? I was highlighting the fact that he probably would WANT to save his job since that's where his income comes from so he can provide for his family.

The funny part in all of this is that you are looking at it from a Western perspective, not an Eastern one. There's not too many careers I know that don't involve having someone crack the whip on you. Where Western societies think of "unions", "rights", and "liberties" first, Eastern societies think of "company loyalty", "production", "efficiency", "output", "dedication". Pikmin 2 is an obvious parody of the working-class in Japan.

Add some sense of urgency yes, but it doesn't have to be big....did it really feel urgent to collect all that garbage for the company? ummm no not really.

Uh, yeah, if your entire job that you've held for a long time depended on it. Now you may be thinking, "wow, that's not THAT urgent," but it doesn't need to be an over-the-top crisis like a planetary apocalypse or a rehash of Pikmin 1 since the plot ultimately takes the backseat to gameplay and provides enough impetus to at least give us a good reason for why Olimar is back, as you've stated.

In that sense, your collecting to collect basically.

Because this so-called garbage is worth money to Hocotatians, which will help pay off the debt, which will prevent Olimar, Louie, and other people from losing their jobs. Or do you not know what it's like to be laid off from a job or at least understand the gravity of such a scenario?

Its not til later that the goal is to rescue your partner, but even then its not a big deal at all because you now have a new fat partner who can help just as much as louie did.

Right, because if your friend goes missing, it's no big deal since you can replace him/her with someone else just the same. >_>

And once you save him, the plot doesnt make it seem like the game has ended....because the main point of pikmin is not plot/storyline, its exploration, discovery, new pikmin, new monsters.

Now you're just going all over the place. You're basically saying that the plot isn't urgent because the main point of Pikmin isn't the story, yet you complain that Pikmin 2's plot isn't like Pikmin 1? If that's the case, why are you even complaining about it in the first place if you're giving it lower priority than gameplay? And didn't Pikmin 2 introduce even more new pikmin, new monsters, new characters, and a ton of exploration (albeit in caves) than in Pikmin 1?
---
My blog - No BS - Open to Criticism: http://sparx401.blogspot.com/
Pikmin 3 idea almost finished. Current Status: 95 pages