Using the Wii U Controller + More Ideas

#1ArtOfWarfarePosted 6/25/2011 7:28:45 AM
I think the biggest thing having the Wii U controller's touch screen is going to do to Pikmin, is make it so you can give your Pikmin more precise commands.

I think the screen on the Wii U should look something like this:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc55/ArtOfWarfare/PikminWiiUConcept.png

In the center of the Wii U screen is a map of the area. Along the top of the screen you can see the time of day, or in this case as indicated by the moon, the night. To the left are the sprays, on the bottom are the Pikmin along with stats on how many you have selected / how many are out. On the right is how many pikmin total are selected / how many pikmin total are out / how many pikmin total are alive.

Ideas I have utilizing the touch screen:
Blue Pikmin
Blue Pikmin could have some kind of interconnecting lilies on top of their heads. By tapping their icon on the Wii U screen, and then drawing a shape on the map, they'll arrange themselves to fill in the shape you drew on the map, thus forming a platform on interconnected lilies that your captain and other pikmin could walk on. This could allow you to make bridges across rivers and other bodies of water.

White Pikmin
During the day they're all white and are able to find items underground, as they could in Pikmin 2. During the night, and maybe in dark parts of caves, they act as flashlights to help you see. But they also will act as magnets for any enemies in the area, like a light bulb is for moths. By tapping on their icon on the touch screen, they would all "turn off" and become black pikmin. They don't act as flashlights, but they can go unnoticed by enemies at night.

Orange Pikmin
These guys are explosive experts. They're immune to blasts and the only ones capable of handling bomb rocks (an ability that the yellows had in Pikmin 1.) They'll automatically pick up any unactivated bomb rocks they pass. By tapping on their icon, you'll select all of them that are currently carrying bomb rocks. Once you've selected them, you can tap on the map to instruct them where to throw their bomb rocks. Obviously they have combat potential, plus its the only way of destroying some types of stone barriers, plus it helps with destroying other types of barriers.

Green Spray / Bulbmins
Here's my idea for how the parasitic pikmin can have an expanded role in the game. The parasitic pikmin incubate in a green berry plant. By harvesting green berries, the captain gets green spray, which is full of the parasitic pikmin. If the green spray is used on any non-boss enemy that has little health remaining, it will become infected with the green parasitic pikmin, and become under your control. They cannot leave the area you find them.

Alright, those are my ideas, I think they're amazing, discuss.
#2Sparx401Posted 6/25/2011 1:28:49 PM
Blue Pikmin - Makes them more useful instead of just being immune to an element (though no one really complained about Blue Pikmin having only an immunity to water). Also, you seem really attached to blue pikmin using lilies don't you? :)

White Pikmin - I don't know. I never understand the whole "use a Pikmin type as a flashlight" thing because it makes me wonder why I can't just have a lit cave via the Solar System Exploration Kit item. Beyond making the caves brighter, I don't see this as a real functional ability, since this sort of "flashlight" ability seemed better if it were given to a single object or entity rather than a group whose individuals have the ability. I mean, you might as well give Olimar a flashlight a la Luigi's Mansion.

Orange Pikmin - I'm iffy about them being immune to explosions...or at least have one major hazard that no pikmin is immune to, but that might just be me. Other than that, pretty decent.

Green Spray / Bulbmin - Not sure what the use of this is. Sure, there's the novelty of controlling enemies, but this reminds me of a sort of "temporary Pokemon" ordeal where you have to weaken the enemy then use the spray to hopefully get it under your command until you leave the area. Would the bulbmin be considered "dead" if the spray missed? Would they die when you leave the area? Even if this spray weren't necessary to complete the game; the other two sprays have way more utility.

I do like how you're trying to implement the touch screen though with a new gameplay aspect.
---
My blog - No BS - Open to Criticism: http://sparx401.blogspot.com/
Pikmin 3 idea almost finished. Current Status: 88 pages
#3KFCofDOOMPosted 6/26/2011 11:29:09 AM
I just thought of making formations when I clicked on this topic.

Cool ideas.
---
Official Guy Who Doesn't Care About The Sims Wii U of The Sims Message Board
#4KennyUzkoPosted 6/26/2011 2:28:05 PM
do you think in the possibility that the wii U games could be compatible with the normal wii ??
#5ninto55Posted 6/26/2011 4:24:24 PM
I don't think they would make any WiiU games playable on just the Wii (Maybe a few?) A few games would be just as playable on a Wii, but it'd be dumb to let games be playable on the old and the new from a marketing stand point. So I doubt it.

Your ideas, I am intrigued...
Blue Pikmin I really like, but I don't understand if they have Lillypads on their heads instead of leaf-flower, which could ruin the Pikmin formula, maybe if it is something they can pick up like bombrocks, or maybe all of them together just makes them into a platform naturally. Although I think something that might make more sence for Blue Pikmin, is to do the exact same thing you've done (Drawing a shape and Blues filling it in) but to make it so if a Pikmin falls into the shape one of the blues would rush over and throw them to land, like they would in Pikmin 1 and 2, just make it easier to get it set up. As for what direction to throw them, for each shape I think you should be able to select a number of Pikmin and an arrow direction. The more Pikmin in a shape the more likely a Pikmin is to be saved, and the arrow tells what direction to throw them (And maybe something else for how far to throw it, or maybe just a dot for where they try to aim?) so if you want to get over a long lake of water, you make a circle next to land and fill it with 10 blues, then make a few more along the way, and have them all throw them to the next, so your Pikmin will start to drown but then be saved by blues, who throw them to the next batch of blues until you get to land.

The White Pikmin is interesting, I have always been a little meh to the light idea, but I guess I understand it, make some caves pitch black so they are required (Until you get some kind of flashlight or something for Olimar) and the whole having Monsters attracted to them, I love it. Sometimes you might want to have White Pikmin as sacrifices (Since they are posinous, I remember when I was bad at Pikmin 2, the idea of fighting a burrowing snagaret is bringing 10 whites and feeding him, lol) or atleast Bait to get some of thos eenemies that are attracted away from the others (I don't think all enemies would be attracted like not the big ones) Maybe also that they can only dig tresures when their light is on? (Obviously it is not visible in the light) Like it has something to do with their super eyes? Eh whatever, I love your idea here!

I love Orange Pikmin! I miss Yellow's using bomb rocks, so bringing in another bomb Pikmin is great, although them being invulnerable to bombs I don't like, I'd miss the "OH ****!" moments when you accidentally kill a lot of Pikmin by screwing up with bombs. Also having another type of Pikmin doing something the Yellows used to do, it is just a little odd for the storyline of Pikmin, I guess. I always pretended they weren't immune to electricity in Pikmin 1 because you never ran into it, and they never threw bombs in Pikmin 2 because the only bombs in that game were too big, I just pretended they could do it all but they just never had to. Adding a new Bomb Rock Pikmin would be great for the game, not so much for the story. Just take away the immunity and I love them. Maybe make them faster or something, or being able to hold their breath longer, or something to keep them from being a basic Pikmin with no stats or abilities besides bombs, in Pikmin 1 the Yellows had the whole being thrown high thing going for them. IDK

Parasitic Pikmin? I've always been for them, but I really do question how they could be put into work. I am not going to comment on this because I don't quite remember it and I don't even know what I think would be best, I should put a sticky note for the next time I'm on the toilet (The toilet is a apifiny time)

Erm, it apprears I've said too much, lol. Does anyone mind if I double post?
---
Isn't that just romantic of me?<3
Remember the Alien Hominid.
#6ninto55Posted 6/26/2011 4:24:38 PM
I do love your use of the touch screen, I have actually been putting it into a second window on the side (I have windows 7 so you can drag them into the cornor and see them both, so it has just been staring at me while i've been typing/reading) I love how you put the basic hud on it, some people might not like having to look down to see the time and Pikmin numbers, so I'd think an option for if you do or do not want the basic HUD on the main screen, although it would always be on the touch screen. I like how you have the sprays set to press with the touchpad, makes it easier to have more than just 4 if they were to use the Dpad. I love how you have it to show how many of each Pikmin you have, just to make sure it is more exact. The use of map is obvious but I still love it, I see you went with a readar design rather than an overhead thing. I'm wondering if it is just following you around like if it was a really zoomed out overhead or maybe more like a map you can scroll around with to your liking (Have it set to follow you,or you can use it to check where your Pikmin carrying something back to base are in real time, while your captain waits with the other Pikmin, breaking down a wall or something)

One last thing to say though, if you can only use 1 controller for the WiiU, your ideas may not transfer very well into 2pbattle/Coop. Since only one player could do all the things set up on the touch screen. Maybe in multiplayer they could have some new set up so both players could use Wii remotes (Or classic controllers/WiiU controller without use of touchscreen) or perhaps just say "Screw you P2!" and make them just unable to use the touch screen, though P1 could share the map and stuff and... eh this has gone on long enough you get it.
---
Isn't that just romantic of me?<3
Remember the Alien Hominid.
#7ArtOfWarfare(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2011 7:51:12 PM
ninto55 posted...
Blue Pikmin I really like, but I don't understand if they have Lillypads on their heads instead of leaf-flower, which could ruin the Pikmin formula
How so? Lilypads flower:
http://images.travelpod.com/users/jennymg/1.1270476519.lily-pad-flower.jpg

The only change would be the leaf is replaced with a lilypad, and the bud and the flower grow on top of the lilypad as the blue pikmin consume nectar.

As for your lines the blue pikmin up and have them throw other pikmin along a chain to cross a body of water idea, I have two issues with it:
1.) It sounds really complicated and not like something the target audience for Pikmin 1 and 2 would enjoy doing.
2.) The other colored pikmin can't carry items back across the water. With my blue lilys make a bridge idea, they could cross back while carrying items.

ninto55 posted...
[Orange Pikmin] being invulnerable to bombs I don't like, I'd miss the "OH ****!" moments when you accidentally kill a lot of Pikmin by screwing up with bombs.
I see your point and agree... I just wanted to give them an extra perk.

ninto55 posted...
Also having another type of Pikmin doing something the Yellows used to do, it is just a little odd for the storyline of Pikmin,
I picked Orange because Orange is close to yellow on the color wheel... I figured the game might mention that the new Oranges that Olimar discovered are closely related to the yellows that he found in the first game. Maybe the orange pikmin could look stronger and bigger and the bomb rocks in Pikmin 3 could be larger than those in Pikmin 1, thus explaining why the yellows can't carry them, but smaller than those in Pikmin 2 (because those were kind of ridiculously big.)

ninto55 posted...
I do love your use of the touch screen, I have actually been putting it into a second window on the side
Thanks :) ! After an hour or so of making that mock up, I was worried no one was going to comment on it.

ninto55 posted...
I'm wondering if it is just following you around like if it was a really zoomed out overhead or maybe more like a map you can scroll around with to your liking (Have it set to follow you,or you can use it to check where your Pikmin carrying something back to base are in real time, while your captain waits with the other Pikmin, breaking down a wall or something)
I figured the map would just follow the captain. I suppose the player could just drag around the map like on an iPhone and it could have a button to automatically snap back to centered on the captain.

ninto55 posted...
if you can only use 1 controller for the WiiU
Did Nintendo say anything about a limit of how many controllers could be connected to it? I'm going to be seriously pissed if you can't connect two of these touch screen controllers...
#8ArtOfWarfare(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2011 9:58:23 PM
New idea that I took from MordecaiRocks's post here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633263-pikmin/59575610

Path Routing
When your pikmin begin carrying an item, the radar would zoom out on the Wii U touch screen to show you the default route that the pikmin are going to take from where they are to the ship. By drawing on the screen, you can draw out an alternative path for them to take, so that you can avoid enemies you'd rather not fight.

Ultimately, it allows for more flexibility. The game is less predefined... puzzles and combat are more open ended. Players have more choices... they don't get frustrated by the pikmin making poor decisions automatically, because they were the ones who decided not to give the pikmin a better route.

If the game designer wants to force something to occur... they need to design the level in such a way that there are no alternatives... or that every alternative inevitably includes going into the area where the something will occur.

This leads me to

Movable Elements
What if rather than simply carrying every freaking thing you find to the onion or the rocket, sometimes the items just need to be moved to another location? For example, you could find some kind of ramp in the middle of nowhere, but by having your pikmin pick it up, you could draw on your Wii U radar to tell your pikmin to carry it to a cliff somewhere in the area? When you're done with it in one spot, it's reusable and can be carried to another spot. Some other movable elements I thought of on the fly that may not necessarily be good ideas, but are just here to demonstrate the possibilities...

- A cannon that can shoot pikmin. This could be used to throw pikmin long distances, possibly over a large void. Maybe it can also be used as a weapon for slow moving enemies.
- Some kind of trap (maybe like a bear trap?) that you can lure enemies into.
- Spring boards. Fall on one from a high area to get to another area (like the blue gel in Portal 2.)
- A light bulb that illuminates the area.
- Pieces of pipe. Maybe have some kind of pipe mania puzzle in the game somehow?

Comments?
#9Lunar_Envoy9Posted 7/2/2011 12:57:06 PM
If we get two leaders again, they should use the touchscreen to let you issue basic commands to the inactive leader when separated.

Examples:

-make him go back to base
-make him meet up with your active leader
-gather nearby inactive pikmin

Of course there is still the danger of them running into an enemy.
---
???
Official Gogo of the Dissidia Duodecim board.
#10ArtOfWarfare(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2011 8:41:42 PM
Lunar_Envoy9 posted...
If we get two leaders again, they should use the touchscreen to let you issue basic commands to the inactive leader when separated.

Examples:

-make him go back to base
-make him meet up with your active leader
-gather nearby inactive pikmin

Of course there is still the danger of them running into an enemy.

I like that idea. I found it irritating in Pikmin 2 that I could simultaneously have one captain leading a group of pikmin to a treasure while another accompanied a group of pikmin back to the onion.

Regarding the accidental running into an enemy, I think the radar aught to provide more information than just the terrain and where your captains, onions, pikmin, rocket, and caves are. It aught to also show you treasures and enemies that you've already seen. If you knew where the sleeping bulborbs were on the radar, you wouldn't accidently send your captain into it.
---
My stylish, arcade-style game Egg Drop! is available to download to the iPhone, iPad, & iPod Touch
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/egg-drop/id443347380?mt=8