My (Lame) Idea For A Plot

#1JacobTheMePosted 7/9/2011 10:04:56 PM
What if Olimar is now old? And in an attempt to re-live his youth as a great explorer, he visits the Distant Planet once again. He finds that the planet has changed (evolution) and that the ecosystem is now completely different. The Pikmin are nearly extinct (they learned how to fight and work together from Olimar, but they seem to lack the ability to adapt to their surroundings by themselves).

Olimar is now risking his life to help the species that once saved his life and his job. By teaching them new abilities and reuniting the Pikmin hordes. (As well as finding new species that have evolved overtime).

I feel like it would work because the games have always celebrated the natural world and science.
#2Sparx401Posted 7/10/2011 1:14:00 AM(edited)
That's interesting and all, but what would be the objective of the game? Pikmin mostly revolves around collecting things, though we obviously don't want to rehash any of the previous games with treasure hunting or ship part collection. If all Olimar is doing is helping the Pikmin out, what is he supposed to be doing precisely? How is progress going to be made? How do we know how far along we are in reaching the goal? I guess it could work as a spin-off title or something, but there's got to be something more than a Rocky montage set on the Pikmin planet. :P

EDIT: I don't think it's a lame plot idea, but it needs to be fleshed out more; possibly have some aspects tweaked, and have a main objective. Remember, always keep the end in mind!
---
My blog - No BS - Open to Criticism: http://sparx401.blogspot.com/
Pikmin 3 idea almost finished. Current Status: 110 pages
#3ArtOfWarfarePosted 7/10/2011 3:59:23 AM
I agree that your idea isn't lame but needs fleshing out.

Possibly Olimar's goal this time is to somehow help the Pikmin build a kind of town / city for themselves where they can prosper for generations without him?

No, my idea is lame.
---
My stylish, arcade-style game Egg Drop! is available to download to the iPhone, iPad, & iPod Touch
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/egg-drop/id443347380?mt=8
#4Intro1827Posted 7/10/2011 5:30:57 AM
ITT: Species evolve over a Hocotatian's lifetime
---
Smoky Progg is the best optional boss ever
Deal with it. The human race sucks ass sometimes. - Doktoroktopus
#5SiIencedWindPosted 7/10/2011 9:07:20 AM
Extending on your idea, he should re-live his experience by coming in with a team of space explorers to teach and inspire them to the planet. Soon after they arrive monsters attack and some people are taken, some run away. Olimar survives with the help of Pikmin and must rescue all his crew by battling the predators.
#6ArtOfWarfarePosted 7/10/2011 9:30:11 AM
Intro1827 posted...

Evolution may happen quickly, always. Species A may quickly diverge into a Species A and Species B.
---
My stylish, arcade-style game Egg Drop! is available to download to the iPhone, iPad, & iPod Touch
#7PokeclipsePosted 7/10/2011 11:22:19 AM
There's also the possibility that Hocotatians age slowly and have rather long lifetimes. If you take into account how quickly a day on the Distant Planet passes for Olimar, it makes some sense.
---
$50 says that I don't have a gambling problem.
#8TragicToaster2Posted 7/10/2011 3:31:35 PM

Evolution may happen quickly, always. Species A may quickly diverge into a Species A and Species B.

Well... Just remember how fast those Pikmin breed up there in their onions... I mean, in just one minute there are 20 pikmin being popped out! I bet several generations of a pikmin family could be gone through in a day...
---
"What the hell's a TragicToaster? A burn victim?" - IceBarrage
#9ArtOfWarfarePosted 7/11/2011 3:03:35 AM
Not that the game really needs to follow the laws of genetics and evolution and such, but now that I think about it, why would pikmin have different genetics?

As far as I can tell, all pikmin receive only one set of genes, given to them by their onion. This would account for why all pikmin of a given color are clones of one another (that and, it's the easiest way to program the game.)

What I said previously about evolution happening quickly doesn't apply to the pikmin. They won't evolve at all.
---
#10KirbyWithAGunPosted 7/11/2011 11:30:12 PM
Intro1827 posted...

Did you at all played Pikmin 2? The game levels changed highly and new creatures were revealed. The logs Olimar made were him asking why everything changed so much so quickly. So Olimar being so much older would mean the planet would be so much more different.
---
games: PS3: MAG, and many others Wii: SSBB and many others PC: C&C,COD BO,L4D2, and many others.
http://www.youtube.com/wardeathfun for full list