My thoughts and expectations

#1zeldafan132Posted 7/18/2011 3:51:53 PM
In this topic I am jotting down my thoughts, ideas, expectations, and opinions on what Pikmin 3 would be to me as a phenominal game.

First of all, let's go over how much more they can do in this game. Pikmin 2 was played using a miniDVD disc, about 8cm, single layered (if I remember correctly), and single sided. This disc variant, used for all gamecube games, could hold up to 1.4 GB of data (2.8 if it's double layered). A Wii U disc alone can hold up to 25GB of data, making that about 17.857 times more storage space (on a single layered disc) able to be used for this game. That's a lot of game. I know that you don't necessarily have to fill up all this space, but this just shows the potential that this game can (and should, if not by at least half of this) do.

Now, let's get into content. First, I'd like to address something that almost seems mandatory to Pikmin: multiplayer (not just co-op) story mode, able to use up to 4 players at a time. This should also be able to stretch into online, allowing you to play "co-op campaign" as an online option. Now a question may be running through your heads right now: how would this work? Story mode almost seems one player based, making it seem almost pointless to do so. I have a solution: look at Portal 2 as an example. It has two story modes: one single player, and an entirely different multiplayer storymode that wonderfully utilized 2 player playing. Pikmin 3 could do the same. Add one story mode (the legit one) as a single player experience, then add a slightly modified variant of the single player story mode (altered maps to account the new multiplayer mode) and apply it to the multiplayer mode.

As for other multiplayer modes, bring back challenge mode, battle mode, the original challenge mode from Pikmin 1, and add a boss rush mode. With online capabilities, of course. This is pretty self explanatory, so thesen't describe these modes into great detail.

One mode I'd like to talk about that could be a possibility is a survival mode, sort of based off the Zombie mode in Call of Duty: Black Ops. You (and your partner(s), if you have any), start off with a certain amount of Pikmin at the beginning of the day (approximately 5 pikmin of a random color), and it's your job to defeat any on coming enemies that interfere with your pikmin survival expedition. The enemies, though, do not leave dead bodies after they die. So, instead of collecting bodies for pikmin, there will be pellet posies scattered around the map (there will be a few different maps provided) to collect and bring back to the main ship for growing your numbers. When all enemies have been defeated, you get sent back to your ship to hide there for the night, beginning the new round and wave of enemies. As rounds increase, numbers of enemies increase, and types of enemies vary. I haven't completely thought this through, though, so I will get back to this when I have more.

As for the storymode itself, it needs to not only have a long play time in order to beat it, but as well a wide variety of things to be accomplished (caves, treasures, and several other things (enemies diaries, rocket improvement pieces, and collections of writings on the backstory behind Pikmin, maybe?)). Several lands to explore, MANY things to collect, and an expansive story mode that actually may delve into the history of Pikmin itself).

This is what I have for now. I will post more later when more stuff comes to mind.
---
Official Overly Abused Jester of the Z3DWT Board
2706-9337-5050 - Diamond FC
#2OathToOblivionPosted 7/18/2011 4:06:54 PM
Niiice. You've pretty much summed up what we all expect. The one thing I'd like to point out, though, is the fact that they didn't add co-op story mode to Pikmin 2 because it would detract from the single player experience.
---
Are you kidding me? What could possibly go wrong?!
#3zeldafan132(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2011 5:25:26 PM
That would support the notion of differing the single player and co-op story. Two different stories means two different experiences.
---
#4SmartjediPosted 7/18/2011 7:14:04 PM
wow, out of all the ideas here this is definitely one of the best ones i've heard yet. sure co-op campaign isn't an original idea, but you're one of the only people i've seen to come up with an explanation on how co-op would work. also i love the idea of a survival mode, that would bring a lot more extra content to the game.
#5KirbyWithAGunPosted 7/18/2011 7:57:21 PM
OathToOblivion posted...
Niiice. You've pretty much summed up what we all expect. The one thing I'd like to point out, though, is the fact that they didn't add co-op story mode to Pikmin 2 because it would detract from the single player experience.

lame. It would of added to it if anything :(
---
games: PS3: MAG, and many others Wii: SSBB and many others PC: C&C,COD BO,L4D2, and many others.
http://www.youtube.com/wardeathfun for full list
#6ArtOfWarfarePosted 7/18/2011 8:13:00 PM
Smartjedi posted...
wow, out of all the ideas here this is definitely one of the best ones i've heard yet. sure co-op campaign isn't an original idea, but you're one of the only people i've seen to come up with an explanation on how co-op would work. also i love the idea of a survival mode, that would bring a lot more extra content to the game.

Actually, I already suggested the Co-Op aught to work like Portal 2's a few days ago.

Regarding the OP, I like the survival idea, except I don't think enemy bodies should just disappear. They should still be able to be picked up and carried back to the ship to make new pikmin, just like in the normal game... I mean, there's no reason to change that. Plus I dislike it when enemies just disappear after they die... visually it just looks sloppy and kind of makes the game feel less immersive.
---
My stylish, arcade-style game Egg Drop! is available to download to the iPhone, iPad, & iPod Touch
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/egg-drop/id443347380?mt=8
#7Sparx401Posted 7/18/2011 8:27:22 PM
I used to be all for a 2-P co-op in story mode, but I think with the introduction to a separate 2-P mode in Pikmin 2, they can just expand on it immensely. In that way, Story Mode can focus on being a great single-player experience whereas the expanded 2-P mode can focus on a great and substantive multiplayer experience. It doesn't need to be just one single mode of gameplay either; they can add multiple things to round things off. In my Pikmin 3 idea, I have four distinct 2-P modes with various options for each mode that the players can set beforehand.

By adding multiplayer functionality this way (on top of maintaining the option for 2 players in Challenge Mode, if it's anything like Pikmin 2), the developers can focus on building a 2-P mode as if it were a separate game altogether, and fashion it in a way that accommodates two players; and focus Story Mode that accommodates only one player. In software engineering, this is called "separation of concerns", and it would help the devs out in keeping focus.
---
My blog - No BS - Open to Criticism: http://sparx401.blogspot.com/
Pikmin 3 idea almost finished. Current Status: 110 pages
#8zeldafan132(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2011 8:06:16 AM
ArtOfWarfare posted...
Smartjedi posted...

Actually, I already suggested the Co-Op aught to work like Portal 2's a few days ago.

Regarding the OP, I like the survival idea, except I don't think enemy bodies should just disappear. They should still be able to be picked up and carried back to the ship to make new pikmin, just like in the normal game... I mean, there's no reason to change that. Plus I dislike it when enemies just disappear after they die... visually it just looks sloppy and kind of makes the game feel less immersive.

The only problem I have with collecting enemies is that it would make the game mode too easy. If you think about it, you're already gathering pellet posies to raise Pikmin numbers. If you gather enemies bodies, that's adding several more Pikmin to the count. This will exponentially grow as waves pass by, making the counts seem horrifically large even when you get to wave, say, 5. By having the pellet posies be the only source of Pikmin collection, it limits you to, one, act as you fight, and two, learn to fight with a low amount of Pikmin.

Maybe, I should say, the enemies don't die, but rather add to your points when they are taken back to the ship. When they are collected and sent back to the central home, instead of giving you a certain amount of Pikmin, it will give you a certain amount of points based one how quickly it was defeated, what Pikmin were used to defeat it, and so forth.
---
#9ArtOfWarfarePosted 7/19/2011 8:29:54 AM
zeldafan132 posted...
Maybe, I should say, the enemies don't die, but rather add to your points when they are taken back to the ship. When they are collected and sent back to the central home, instead of giving you a certain amount of Pikmin, it will give you a certain amount of points based one how quickly it was defeated, what Pikmin were used to defeat it, and so forth.

That score equation sounds needlessly complicated. Why not just give points based on which type of enemy it is?

And then add in a time bonus at the end of the game based on how long the player survived.
---
My stylish, arcade-style game Egg Drop! is available to download to the iPhone, iPad, & iPod Touch
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/egg-drop/id443347380?mt=8