So the Pikmin Planet is Earth...

#31OathToOblivionPosted 8/13/2011 7:32:18 PM
Add in Hocotations' tiny form, and it's certainly more plausible that they're anaerobic lifeforms.
---
Are you kidding me? What could possibly go wrong?!
#32ArtOfWarfarePosted 8/13/2011 8:19:00 PM
OathToOblivion posted...
Add in Hocotations' tiny form, and it's certainly more plausible that they're anaerobic lifeforms.

He may be small, but he's not that small. He's the size of relatively large insect. Insects respire with oxygen.

Shenkomi posted...
The thing is, Oxygen in its diatomic state is relatively nonreactive, whereas carbon monoxide only really forms where there's a distinct lack of oxygen. So an open atmosphere won't contain a ton of carbon monoxide. However, carbon dioxide can form much easier with a supply of oxygen available, so it wouldn't surprise me if Olimar was breathing more of that rather than carbon monoxide.

Interesting point I hadn't considered. But you don't seem to consider the possibility that the atmosphere on his planet has so much CO on it and so little O2 or CO2 that lifeforms on his planet had to evolve with the ability to respire with CO.

Sparx401 posted...
Games like these operate under the rule that everything reflects real life except when noted or when an implication of a certain set of information is incredibly obvious and has authorial intent.

The game creators could have just had Olimar say that the gasses in the atmosphere were toxic and leave it at that, but they didn't. They went out of their way to specify that the gas was Oxygen. Thus it could somehow be important to the story of the series that the atmosphere is full of Oxygen, rather than simply full of something that is toxic to him.
---
My stylish, arcade-style game Egg Drop! is available to download to the iPhone, iPad, & iPod Touch
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/egg-drop/id443347380?mt=8
#33ShenkomiPosted 8/14/2011 8:33:43 PM
Like I said, carbon monoxide is something which only forms when there's a distinct lack of oxygen, which in most situations can only occur in an enclosed environment. In an open environment with oxygen and carbon, carbon monoxide will form, sure, but given the large amount of oxygen it will quickly transform into carbon dioxide. I'd sooner accept the notion of sulfur or arsenic respiration before breathing from carbon monoxide.

Then there's the matter of carrying a supply of breathable gas through space travel and whatnot. At which point a generator of gas may seem more appropriate than canisters of it.
#34TNintendominatePosted 8/14/2011 9:00:40 PM
Oh my god, it's science fiction. We don't need to go into why oxygen is poisonous to Hocotians, let alone how Hocotians breathe. >_>
---
Link's harem- Oracles, Marin, Maidens, Navi, Zelda, Saria, Malon, Ruto, Nabooru, Tatl, Mila, Maggie, Medli, Beth, Ilia, Telma, Midna, Ciela...
#35Sparx401Posted 8/14/2011 11:06:44 PM
The game creators could have just had Olimar say that the gasses in the atmosphere were toxic and leave it at that, but they didn't. They went out of their way to specify that the gas was Oxygen. Thus it could somehow be important to the story of the series that the atmosphere is full of Oxygen, rather than simply full of something that is toxic to him.

Yeah, I agree...what's the problem with my post about the "except where otherwise noted" rule? Obviously that rule doesn't apply in Olimar's case since he's a made-up alien, but I was talking about what scientific facts apply to the Pikmin universe, and which do not, and I strongly believe it operates under the rule that whatever the developers "want" at the time, ergo the rule that regular science applies except where it is otherwise noted.
---
My blog - No BS - Open to Criticism: http://sparx401.blogspot.com/
Pikmin 3 idea almost finished. Current Status: 120 pages