Several theories as to why Olimar is not one of the captains.

#1Enigma149Posted 6/17/2012 8:59:37 PM
Hello, all. I've created this topic to post every possibility I (and you) can think of as to why Olimar isn't among the four captains in the game. Well, here we go...

Theory 1
Olimar Has Crashed...Again
Combining the plots of the first two games, we have the "Olimar Crashed" theory. We already know Olimar can't make a decent landing (see the beginnings of the last two games) and is very forgetful (see him forgetting Louie), so it's not entirely inconceivable that Olimar has, once again, stranded himself on the Distant Planet. Naturally, a search-and-rescue mission had to be made, hence the four captains we have (introducing new captains that have not had contact with Pikmin also gives Nintendo an excuse to re-introduce the basic game mechanics for yet a third time). Personally, I find this theory most likely. But that hasn't stopped me from thinking up others...

Theory 2
Olimar Has Become Lazy
Well, perhaps not lazy, but at least gotten to the point where he no longer wants to travel to the Distant Planet. Perhaps he has become the President of Hocotate Freight, and wishes to send out his own employees to make himself rich. Or perhaps the game takes place many decades after the first two, with Olimar's travels becoming legendary, and the four captains simply seeking their own fortunes on the Distant Planet, mirroring the gold rushes of our own civilization. Regardless, he won't be in the game, and will play a minor role in the story.

Theory 3
Olimar Has Failed
By far the darkest theory I could come up with, this one would follow a timeline split (don't worry - it's not nearly as hard to understand as the Zelda one). Pikmin 2 follows the "Good" and "Happy" endings to Pikmin 1, but this game follows the "Bad" ending. Olimar did not return to Planet Hocotate because he turned into a Pikmin, leaving Hocotate Freight to collapse under its debt and the citizens of Planet Hocotate unaware of Olimar's fate and the Distant Planet. Eventually, the distress signal Olimar sent out using the interstellar Radio is picked up, and the Distant Planet is discovered. A team is assembled to explore the planet and determine what happened to Olimar, thus beginning the game (naturally, you don't know what happened to Olimar at the beginning, with details gradually being revealed through the game).

So, what do you guys think? And can you think of any other reasons why Olimar may not be in the group?
---
''Well making more money than the PS3 isn't exactly hard. People do it every year at lemonade stands.'' - Starwars4J
PSN: CrimsonEnigma 3DS:4897-5935-1924
#2Dragonflame323Posted 6/17/2012 9:26:57 PM
Very interesting theories. The third one would make for an atmostphere as completely immersing as the first Pikmin.

A common one is Olimar became trapped somehow, and his family/friends come to the distant planet to try to find him.
#3Luigifan305Posted 6/17/2012 9:43:43 PM
The ironic thing about theory 1 is that Olimar is supposedly the best pilot Hocotate Freight has, and by a sizable margin to boot! Imagine how bad Louie and all the other H.F. employees must be behind the wheel. XD
#4BloodCurvePosted 6/18/2012 4:41:41 AM
Maybe some time has passed and Olimar is president now.
#5DanspurtPosted 6/18/2012 4:47:26 AM
The third one is interesting... major weirdness, just like that ending, but interesting.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#6CypherSkillsPosted 6/18/2012 5:36:17 AM
I think olimar as president makes complete sense. He earned the top spot in the company by saving its skin. Now he sits back in his big chair and orders others around. However I do think he will be on the planet in some form. Maybe he gets bored, travels to the planet, and gets into trouble. Then his top 4 workers are sent in to attempt to figure out what happened to boss.
---
Heart Gold : 2065 2098 4510
#7TerotrousPosted 6/18/2012 7:08:03 AM
I think one other possibility is that this game could be a prequel, meaning that Olimar's crash landing hasn't happened yet. It would explain why the Pikmin seem to take instantly to Olimar if they've met Hocotians before.

Of course, that begs the question of why these four never tell anyone else about their discovery of this planet, but there's a number of potentially interesting ways to answer that.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Low G Man"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#8McmadnessV3Posted 6/18/2012 7:58:26 AM
I just think he's going to be older and will work as a mentor figure.

Seeing as how this is a pikmin game the plot won't exactly be complicated.
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#9Hawke0Posted 6/18/2012 8:32:34 AM
McmadnessV3 posted...
I just think he's going to be older and will work as a mentor figure.

Seeing as how this is a pikmin game the plot won't exactly be complicated.

this. but a more complicated plot would be cool.
---
Conduit 2 FC: 0562-2516-9316
#1010000_needlesPosted 6/18/2012 9:32:52 AM
@LuigiFan

I bet Hocotate Freight already had financial problems before the start of Pikmin 2 due to the company having to use a vehicle per shipment (with the pilot crashing it upon destination arrival) for the whole month where Olimar was absent.
---
You dont know it yet, but you're already dead. "Hokuto no Ken"