A new pikmin type idea. Soldier Pikmin

#1DarkChozoGhostPosted 7/17/2012 9:36:01 PM
The first group of these pikmin you'll encounter are actually feral. When Olimar returned the the distant planet, he found the onions and pikmin that learned to survive on their own. But there were a lot of pikmin left behind, especially after the second mission to the planet, and not all of them had the luxury of an onion. These pikmin had to survive in the harshest conditions, and as a result they've become very self reliable and intuitive. Some of them grew into a candypop buds, and new breed of pikmin was born. Their value doesn't come from a physical attribute, but from their ability to perform more advanced commands and survival skills.

Having lived in the wild for a long time, they've learned to detect threats and to plant themselves in the ground for protection. If they're working on something and get attacked, they'll just take root, as well as pikmin of other colors in the group as long as they make up at least half. They also learned to pick themselves and other pikmin. If the coast is clear and there's a task that could be resumed, they'll get up on their own and start working.

Here's an example of how that would work. Say you find a red pellet. You can set a red and a soldier pikmin on it, and they're carryining it back to the onion. A Bulbear wanders by and spots them. When he gets close, the soldier pikmin plants the two of them and they're safe. Once the bulbear has given up and left, he digs himself and his partner out of the ground and they carry the pellet the rest of the way.

They also automatically plant themselves at sunset, so you can't leave them behind. This can be used strategically. There could be obstacles that are walls of sand that need to be cleared away, but they take a long time, the black ones taking close to an entire day with 100 pikmin working on it. You could just leave a smaller number of soldier pikmin to work on it, and they'd finish it over the course of a few days, planting themselves at sunset or when danger comes and getting up by themselves to finish.

I was thinking they could perform some actions in the field that other types can't. One I came up with is that you can have them wait by the onions. Once pikmin that sprouted grow to flowers, they'll be picked.

And finally, they should be more controllable by the captains, with advanced commands. I haven't really thought about how that would work but I think it would be neat.
---
And then all the dominoes will fall into place like a house of cards. Checkmate.
#2PlasmashedgehogPosted 7/17/2012 9:46:40 PM
I like the idea.
they could be camo in color and their voices could be high pitched cliche drill instructors(You maggot, I CANT HEAR YOU! , ect)
---
fan of Mst3K
http://www.youtube.com/user/rossw75
#3DarkChozoGhost(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2012 9:49:30 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that they'd be camo. It fits in with the soldier theme and their hiding thing.
---
And then all the dominoes will fall into place like a house of cards. Checkmate.
#4DarkChozoGhost(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2012 7:41:01 AM
I like that they encourage more multitasking. And I think they're balanced by the fact that any you have out in the field will still contribute to your count of 100 pikmin. So if you have too many of them out and about, you'l have less pikmin to directly control.

I also thought it would be cool if when you leave pikmin of other types behind at sunset, they'd have a chance of becoming soldier pikmin. It would have to be a low chance to prevent farming that way, like a 1 in 15 chance.
---
#5DarkChozoGhost(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2012 8:36:30 PM
Anyone else have any opinions?
---
#6Iced_ShadowsPosted 7/20/2012 4:26:47 PM
I came into this topic thinking this would be just a silly idea, but having read your explanation, I actually like it. They sound like more intelligent versions of soldier ants.

Going off that idea, I think it would be cool if Soldier Pikmin would instead leave whatever they are assigned to do and actually fight any hostile creatures that have given chase to the Pikmin. As in, if one Soldier Pikmin is helping other types of Pikmin carry a treasure to the ship, and a Bulbear wanders too close and begins to give chase, the Soldier Pikmin will leave the other Pikmin and start fighting the Bulbear, even if it has to do it alone. The Soldier Pikmin would be more agile and probably survive a little longer against such a beast, but it would still essentially be sacrificing itself to let the treasure go by safely. These would be a very aggressive species of Pikmin, preferring to fight rather than work.

Heck, maybe they could ONLY fight. If you assign them to a treasure or dead animal, they will only follow it and make sure it gets to its destination safely.

This is just a different view of what a Soldier Pikmin could be like. I actually like your ideas for them a bit better, TC, but I also like to throw out ideas of my own. These guys could have lots of potential!
---
Shadow Temple...
Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred... - Shadow Temple Walls
#7DarkChozoGhost(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2012 8:21:03 AM(edited)
Maybe that could be part of the more advanced commands you give them. You could order them to carry the items, but you could also order them follow and and protect it. Maybe you could command them to form a hunting party to attack creatures within a certain area and bring them back. Maybe you could have them stand guard in certain places and attack whatever tries to come through. I'm a little worried about how they would be balanced with all of that though.

I also just imagined a swarm of soldier pikmin going after a mamuta, getting slammed into the ground, then popping back up and resuming the attack until he's done and most of them are flowers.
---
#8SILKAPosted 7/23/2012 5:53:03 AM
Red kinda been the solders throughout the series.
---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#9-princeyoshi-Posted 7/23/2012 5:59:25 AM
I think a more intelligent Pikmin would be nice, but it would be a pain for Nintendo to program, and the glitches might be bad...

SILKA posted...

You mean Troopers, as in Ste--*is shot*
---
Sandbag for SSB4!
#10DarkChozoGhost(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2012 8:44:50 AM
SILKA posted...

Did you even read the post?
---