I just realized why the first two games are so different!

#1Pendragon71037Posted 8/9/2012 3:18:34 PM
Bear with me here, the planet is light years away from Hocotate, the ship moves at light speed so you can make the journey. However, outside, time moves much faster inside the ship than outside, so in actuality, pikmin 2 happened hundreds of years after pikmin 1. Before you say this is silly or just insane, this is real physics. Einstien thought of the concept.
---
Chuck Finley is Forever! People that agree: 3
People that get the reference: 2
#2EnferolunosPosted 8/9/2012 3:29:40 PM(edited)
If this were true, Olimar would have arrived back at Hocotate hundreds of years later
Lawyered
Also you spelled Einstein wrong
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, KH 3D, Pokemon BW 2, The Last Story
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#3PinxedPosted 8/9/2012 3:37:03 PM(edited)
This is video games. Every single game has logic and physics go out the window.
---
KAIO: King of Pirates awareness!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/645646-kaio-king-of-pirates
#4BlakPikminPosted 8/9/2012 4:18:34 PM
Enferolunos posted...
If this were true, Olimar would have arrived back at Hocotate hundreds of years later
Lawyered
Also you spelled Einstein wrong

I laughed out loud at how curt and logical this response was xD

But to address the original post. This has been mentioned before. Maybe human interaction with the environment caused the changes. I don't know how much time elapsed from the first to the second game, but it's possible that that could be the case.
#5Enigma149Posted 8/9/2012 4:49:57 PM(edited)
Even if the ship were traveling at the speed of light, it would take 4.24 years for Olimar to reach Hocotate, and even that's assuming Hocotate orbits Proxima Centauri (the closest star to Earth, besides Sol), leaving him with a 1,548-day supply of air, as opposed to a 30-day supply of air.

The only form of travel that could cover that distance would be an Alcubierre Drive, which the Hocotatians should be able to build, having overcome the largest problem such a method of travel has, the massive amounts of energy required.

*edit*
If the Hocotatians do have travel at, say, 99.99% of the speed of light, then the journey would appear to take a matter of weeks, from the perspective of Olimar. However, he would still arrive back on Hocotate several years later, unless Hocotate orbits its star at a similar speed (which presents its own problems).
---
''Kill cams is also Call of Duty, a game that isn't violent at all.'' - DesperateMonkey
PSN:CrimsonEnigma (though you won't find me online); 3DS:4897-5935-1924
#6bond007106Posted 8/9/2012 5:06:23 PM
Enigma149 posted...
Even if the ship were traveling at the speed of light, it would take 4.24 years for Olimar to reach Hocotate, and even that's assuming Hocotate orbits Proxima Centauri (the closest star to Earth, besides Sol), leaving him with a 1,548-day supply of air, as opposed to a 30-day supply of air.

The only form of travel that could cover that distance would be an Alcubierre Drive, which the Hocotatians should be able to build, having overcome the largest problem such a method of travel has, the massive amounts of energy required.

*edit*
If the Hocotatians do have travel at, say, 99.99% of the speed of light, then the journey would appear to take a matter of weeks, from the perspective of Olimar. However, he would still arrive back on Hocotate several years later, unless Hocotate orbits its star at a similar speed (which presents its own problems).

Or, we could not labour under the assumption that the Pikmin universe runs on real-world physics and just accept that the Hocotatians have mastered faster-than-light travel.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kunino-sagiri
#7Enigma149Posted 8/9/2012 5:09:34 PM
bond007106 posted...
Enigma149 posted...

*edit*

Or, we could not labour under the assumption that the Pikmin universe runs on real-world physics and just accept that the Hocotatians have mastered faster-than-light travel.

Oh, come now. Name one thing in Pikmin that violates the laws of physics.

Aside from, you know, stuffing more Pikmin into an Onion than can fit, or levitating and shrinking treasure, or flying out of a ship during atmospheric entry and emerging unharmed, or...
---
''Kill cams is also Call of Duty, a game that isn't violent at all.'' - DesperateMonkey
PSN:CrimsonEnigma (though you won't find me online); 3DS:4897-5935-1924
#8litwick4everPosted 8/9/2012 6:02:24 PM
Bear with me here, the planet is light years away from Hocotate, the ship moves at light speed so you can make the journey. However, outside, time moves much faster inside the ship than outside, so in actuality, pikmin 2 happened hundreds of years after pikmin 1. Before you say this is silly or just insane, this is real physics. Einstien thought of the concept.

interesting
#9Shane74340PlusPosted 8/9/2012 6:52:58 PM
We just have theories, not laws (Physics). Theories can be broken and they will be. Now it could be that Hocotatains measurement of time is far faster than ours meaning that more time was actually spent on Hocotate than suggested. We measure time linear, or by the flow of time.

Meaning, 10 of their minutes could equal 100 of our years, and so fourth. Thus, the major change in the environments from Pikmin 1 to Pikmin 2. Of course, Hocotate could measure time in a completely different way.

Point in case: Men In Black 1. One standard Galactic week is one of our hours. Quote from MIB: (thanks IMDB)
"Kay: Arquillian battle rules, kid: first we get an ultimatum, then a warning shot, then we have a galactic standard week to respond.
Jay: A galactic standard week? How the hell long is that?
Kay: One hour."
#10Pendragon71037(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2012 8:34:00 PM
Thank you for your criticism Enferolunos. :D I actually just realized that hole right after I posted this. Also, thanks for the correct spelling of Einstein. Do you have any theories?
---
Chuck Finley is Forever! People that agree: 3
People that get the reference: 2