Idea: Brown Pikmin

#1Luigi4PresidentPosted 8/16/2012 10:49:33 AM(edited)
These helpful little guys have the power of the dirt withen them!

-Can dig faster than all other pikmin types
-Can hide underground from enemies if they are in trouble

Seem like a good idea?

EDIT: To make them more unique than other types, brown pikmin can also attack some enemies from underground, if the enemy is a certain enemy that would allow that. Some enemies could only be defeated this way.
---
Everytime I find the key to success, someone changes the locks.
Tell me if you think Luigi should be president! Agreers: 51
#2Bluebird5555Posted 8/16/2012 11:12:54 AM
By digging, do you mean that they can dig up things underground like white pikmin, just faster? If so, can they see items underground like white pikmin? Or do they just dig random tunnels? And if they can dig up items, wouldn't it make sense to remove the ability to unearth buried things from white pikmin, because it would seem redundant to have two pikmin be able to do the same thing, just one faster than the other?
---
Pikmin CYOA!!!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633263-pikmin-3/62794249
#3shadowreaper7Posted 8/16/2012 11:17:18 AM
It seems rather restrictive,
yanno, seeing as white pikmin can see underground treasures and what not and most people tend to swarm buried treasure, bomb rock or no.

Digging underground to avoid enemies isn't too bad, but it'd sort of be impossible to harm anything because i imagine the enemy would be worm based, and would probably be coated in some sort of armour.
---
Author of the Starfox Story on the Starfox Assault board. Check it out!
Don't Fear the Reaper
#4Luigi4President(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2012 12:48:15 PM
Bluebird5555 posted...
By digging, do you mean that they can dig up things underground like white pikmin, just faster? If so, can they see items underground like white pikmin? Or do they just dig random tunnels? And if they can dig up items, wouldn't it make sense to remove the ability to unearth buried things from white pikmin, because it would seem redundant to have two pikmin be able to do the same thing, just one faster than the other?

They actually wouldn't be able to unearth treasures from the ground, all they'd be able to do is dig random tunnels kind of (already pre-formed paths). Here's a diagram:

|............................................................+........................|
| Captain is here with Pikmin (browns start digging)......|

Those + symbols are the preset paths the browns would go into and dig straight to the treasure. They'd be able to carry it back underground with them as well. Not only this, but they can also dig underground to to attack enemies and also hide from them. Imagine an Anode Beetle- usually you need yellows for them, but you don't have any right here- you can have them dig underground and flip them over! Of course some enemies won't be able to be hurt this way. Brown Pikmin can also be thrown though.
---
#5Luigi4President(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2012 6:45:01 PM
Bump?
---
#6Blazekicker27Posted 8/18/2012 9:53:00 AM
I like this idea. I'm still kinda confused, though. How exactly would Brown Pikmin be able to attack enemies if they're underground? Unless the enemy is also underground, they'd have to come above ground to fight. Also, it seems like it would be easy to lose track of where your Brown Pikmin are. There should be some sort of mini map or radar to show where they are underground.
---
Blaziken - the ORIGINAL Fire/Fighting starter.
Carrying a big ass drum in 90+ degrees during rehearsals is the worst part of band...but it's still fun =D - Me
#7Luigi4President(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2012 12:56:11 PM
Blazekicker27 posted...
I like this idea. I'm still kinda confused, though. How exactly would Brown Pikmin be able to attack enemies if they're underground? Unless the enemy is also underground, they'd have to come above ground to fight. Also, it seems like it would be easy to lose track of where your Brown Pikmin are. There should be some sort of mini map or radar to show where they are underground.

Okay, so an enemy like the flint beetle- brown pikmin will burrow underground (their leaf / bud / flower will show above ground so you can see them) and will pop up out of the ground to attack an enemy's underside. Obviously not all enemies will work for them to attack, but only some enemies will be able to be injuried by them.
---
#8Bluebird5555Posted 8/18/2012 1:28:35 PM
I like the idea, but I don't see how you control them. Do they automatically go underground when they're near an enemy and attack them from below? Or do you direct them onto an enemy and they burrow underground to attack? Are they capable of attacking normally?
---
Brightly-colored half-plant half-animal carrots that have various elemental resistances and live in flying Onions = Pikmin
#9Luigi4President(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2012 1:46:31 PM
Bluebird5555 posted...
I like the idea, but I don't see how you control them. Do they automatically go underground when they're near an enemy and attack them from below? Or do you direct them onto an enemy and they burrow underground to attack? Are they capable of attacking normally?

They are allowed to attack normally. Just throw them or direct them nearby and they'll do what they have to do. If you don't want them to go underground and they already went, just whistle them back above ground to you.
---
#10Luigi4President(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2012 6:39:04 PM
Bump
---